TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Food archaeology

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Food archaeology users admin

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I've always been fascinated with early or heirloom recipes, and what it took in past years to put that dish on the plate. Here is an article that highlights the onerous burden that was cooking for a family in early colonial days:

Food Designed To Fill

Link is to SoMDNews.com.

This thread is for everyone who would like to post an heirloom recipe, something that is dear to your family, that holds a special meaning for you, or simply one that you encountered as a recipe with some old legs in the American/immigrant dialogue that the rest of us might want to consider.

LANDILEIGH ... yes, I've heard about your pumpkin pie if you would like to share with a punter like me (I made a disastrous pumpkin-banana pie last week you would have cried but I sent it to my MIL it's all good LOLOL), this is the place to do it. (Maybe this thread needs to be out of the common area? Thinking ... )

HOWEVER - we all have family dishes that we are required to keep close to the vest so people are compelled to invite us to their party if they want that special treat. No one is being asked to fork over the family jewels if they are in that league of things. My mother would KILL me if I published the family chip dip, dill dip or chili recipes here.

So with that said, let's have some fun. I'm looking for some tradition and love here. When we get a few recipes posted maybe we can pick a particular day per week/couple of weeks/month where we all try the same recipe and chime in on how it went over/changes we made/need to make to suit our family palates.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
What a great idea GAL... just wish I had a culinary gene in my body - I don`t. I need a roadmap to my kitchen. LOL. But I have the `I Love to Eat` gene to an abundance. I will enjoy reading this thread as it evolves.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mame - I've been too busy cooking this afternoon to post my heirloom recipes in here, will try to do some this evening.

Glenn

07-05-2003

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Glenn a private message Print Post    
Interesting thread, but at first I thought it was about identifying food you might find when you clean out your vehicle.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
(Wipes banana bread batter from chin) Hunh? LOL, Glenn, that's just like a guy. I had a real food archaeology couple of days this summer cleaning out the refrigerator of a very elderly man who I don't think had thrown away anything out of his refrigerator since 1979. It was horrifying. And incredibly difficult to sanitize once the garbage was scraped out.

Feel free to chip in with tales of what food you pull out from between the couch cushions and whatnot. It's a free-form thread.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
I actually have my Great Grandmother's handwritten recipe book. It's hard to read, but so fun to see how recipes were done way back when. Sometimes it just says "flour", ha ha ha (meaning SHE knew how much, just never bothered to write it down). Lots of recipes with lard, too

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I thought maybe it was not really a recipe thread. I've always been curious about that fact that someone tried something that we (well, probably not me, but others) now eat...or put together certain things that are now common recipes. weird if you really think about it.

GAL, great thread idea.

Huk that is really cool.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
GAL, I won't post the recipe, as I had a disastrous thing happen with a recipe that I posted once, a friend took it and it ended up in the weekend USA Today as her recipe, and she won a bunch of money for it, let's just say... friendship over. if you would like it, just PM me, or send me an email.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Post it, landi! I could use the money :P

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Landi, that would seriously chap my ass I don't blame you for protecting your recipes. Seriously, I have no business attempting pies (remember the Fish Fry debacle?), so I won't ask you for the recipe. I wound up with pumpkin pulp all over my walls after trying to make that awful pumpkin banana pie.

Since we have Thanksgiving coming up, I thought maybe we could post our favorite family Thanksgiving recipes, starting with appetizers. Any time one of us marries we receive a family cook book put together by our mothers, aunties and grandmothers.

This recipe is from my family cookbook and is called Herman's Favorite. He was my mother's choir director when she was young and he used to serve this after their Christmas Eve mass every year. It has been a staple at our family meals my entire life, and I am not welcome at my friends' homes if I don't bring this with me for occasions.

1 lg. package Ekrich Braunschweiger
2 8oz packages of Philadelphia cream cheese
1 can of shredded crab meat
Parsley flakes

Bring your braunschweiger and cream cheese to room temperature. Rinse and drain crabmeat and fold together thoroughly with one package of cream cheese and the braunschweiger (use your hands, it's messy but the only viable option). Form a ball shape, put onto a plate, cover and refrigerate for at least three hours.

When you have removed the braunschweiger ball from the refrigerator, frost it with the remaining package of cream cheese and sprinkle with parsley flakes.

Serve with a butter knife and your favorite party crackers.

(Colossus actually will spread this on bread, top it with an onion and eat it as a sandwich when there are leftovers. And if there are no leftovers, he will ask me to make another batch so he can have some sandwich spread LOL).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: