TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Office potluck plus appetizer suggestion

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Office potluck plus appetizer suggestion users admin

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
We are having a potluck Tuesday at work. Torn between healthy and not! LOL
spinach salad with mushrooms, pecans, craisins and feta
or
marinated veggies
or
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/pecan-pie-caramel-cheesecake/#respond

supposed to bring mashed potatoes and an appetizer to my dads for thanksgiving. my grocery store was selling 5lbs of premade tators for $6....bought 2! LOL going to just doctor them up.
appetizer wise, was thinking a veggie tray with various dips served in hollowed out pumpkins but there ain't a pumpkin in site! could just use orange bell peppers to make it look 'fall-ish'.
or i have a 'fancy' queso dip.

can you tell i am not motivated at all!!

Lumbele

07-11-2002

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lumbele a private message Print Post    
Gosh, that cheese cake looks delish. I already went and copied the recipe. Thanks for sharing, Annie!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Here is a great Holiday Potatoes Recipe

Creamy Mashed Potatoes/Day Before Mashed Potatoes
9 potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 T butter

Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in potatoes and cook until tender but firm,
about 15 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and mash until smooth. Mix
in the cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, pepper and butter.
Cover, refrigerate 8 hours, or over night.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a medium baking dish. Spread potato
mixture into the prepared baking dish, and bake about 30 minutes.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
If I wasn't being lazy and bringing the premade mashed potatoes, that almost the exact recipe i use!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I was just thinking you could doctor up the premade potatoes.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
k. i made a sweet. was talking to a co-worker this morning at church and asked him what people bring that i was torn between healthy and sweet. he said bring sweet! LOL

so i combined a couple of recipes and came up with Caramel Apple mini cheesecakes. Pretty easy.
crushed up vanilla wafers and sprinkled in the bottom of the individual mini baking cups. (i was worried about too think of a crust, but i think having more of a cookie layer would have been better)
creamed together (2) 8 oz cream cheese, two eggs, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 3/4 cup sugar. then added in caramel and chopped up pieces of apple pie filling (just till i thought it was enough)
filled the cups about 3/4 full baked 15-18 minutes.
mixed together the rest of the pie filling and caramel and some cinnamon. took a couple of pieces of the pie filling and placed them on top of the cupcake then drizzled some caramel sauce over it and then lightly dusted it with cinnamon.
they are pretty good.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
sounds yummy!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
look at this cool veggie presentation. i am going to do this on thursday.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wow, that is really awesome. Guess you have to make stuffed peppers after T-day is over, LOL, I guess you could stuff the peppers with leftover turkey or dressing.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
If the peppers have been sitting out for hours, I would toss them. You can buy the cheap peppers rather than spending good $$ for the Dutch ones.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I probably am probably going to toss the leftovers in a soup unless they had dip on them. I keep most of my produce like peppers on the counter so not really worried about them sitting out.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
The ones you leave out on your counter are intact aren't they? They haven't been cut open and exposed to the air (for hours, and not to mention the germs from people). I would NOT eat anything that sat out that long that people were breathing on.

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
A friend of mine used that presentation at a party, and it was very attractive. He used baby carrots, small celery sticks, the baby pickles, olives, marinated green beans and tomatoes in different color peppers as in the picture. He used a bread bowl from Panera for the dip, and put it in the center of a large platter with the peppers around it. Have fun!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
good thing you aren't invited, cost!

thanks baby, i bought some bread bowls for dip too.

Glenn

07-05-2003

Monday, November 22, 2010 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Glenn a private message Print Post    
Annie, are you available for potlucks with strangers. Most of these guys aren't torn between healthy or not.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 4:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL sure!!!
the cheesecakes came out ok. i ended running out of apples so i sauted some pecan pieces in caramel and cinnamon and topped the rest with that. those look much better!!! i was tempted to scrap off the apples and top the rest that way, but so many people don't like or are allergic to nuts that i won't.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Annie, it's not the potluck. It's using the peppers afterward!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
not invivted to that either! LOL

Boberg

10-04-2002

Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
u guys are too funny.

I am with you Texannie.......after I paid $1.50 - $2.00 for each colored bell pepper, I am gonna cook and eat them some how........

so what did you end of making out of them???

I love that idea for presentation of veggies. Think I'll steal it sometime.

Hey maybe our friends are just not as germy as Costa's.....

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wouldn't cooking them kill any germs anyway?

The presentation is lovely!

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
This is referring the month-old bell peppers post (lol).

I used to make a goulash dumpling recipe with bell peppers replacing the meat, and darned if it wasn't the best-tasting thing ever. I used Knorr's Goulash seasoning pack, and treated it like a thick stew. It's really delicious. To me bell peppers have almost a meaty texture when cooked, maybe that's why it works.

I have the same problem: Three unused bell peppers about to go bad. They are really one of my favorite veggies so hope to use them.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beef_goulash_with_dumplings/

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i made a big old pot of veggie soup and lived to tell about it! LOL

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, January 03, 2011 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Can't you chop up bell peppers and freeze them for use later?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: