TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 14, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: This is good & easy: Archive through February 14, 2010 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This soup is fabulous and is quite easy, I usually cut the ingredients in half or I have soup for years. Enjoy!

Sausage Soup
2 pounds hot or mild Italian sausages
3 carrots (12 oz. total), peeled and chopped
1 onion (12 oz.), peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced tomatoes
2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini (white) beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 cups dried large shell-shaped pasta
4 quarts spinach leaves (about 12 oz.), rinsed
Salt and pepper
About 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Preparation
1. Squeeze sausages from casings into an 8- to 10-quart pan over high heat and stir often, breaking them apart with a spoon, until browned and crumbly, 8 to 10 minutes. Spoon out and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.

2. Add carrots, onion, and garlic; stir often until onion is limp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes (including juice), beans, and basil and bring to a boil.

3. Add pasta, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until pasta is just tender to bite, about 10 minutes. Skim and discard fat. Stir in spinach and cook just until it is wilted, about 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup from the pan, or pour into a tureen. Offer parmesan cheese to add to taste.

Yield: Makes about 5 1/2 quarts; 10 to 12 servings

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
If you like spicy ....

Start by popping a poblano pepper lightly brushed with oil in the broiler. Broil until blackened on all sides, then put in a damp towel for 15 min.

While poblano is cooling, saute 1 chopped onion and 3 whole garlic cloves in 2 TB. oil.

When poblano is cooled, hold under cold water and peel. Then seed and chop into big chunks.

Then, blend 1 can fire-roasted, diced tomatoes, the onions, garlic, and the poblano until pureed.

Pour that back into the pot with a bit of hot oil. Stir until thickened (maybe 5 minutes). Add 2 quarts chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat, add in 1 lb. chopped chicken breast, salt to taste, and let cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.

Serve it with a squeeze of lime, tortilla strips and a bit of cheese or creme fraiche.

Takes about 30 minutes total, but is yummy and makes a HUGE pot that freezes well for the future.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I need a munchie type recipe to take to a SuperBowl party. Something I can make at home and then take with, without having to heat up or cook on site.

I'm a vegetarian, so that makes it a little more challenging.

Ideas? Nothing complex, I don't do a lot of cooking, so it has to simple!

Help?

Gidget

07-28-2002

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
I love caramel apple dip. Spread cream cheese layer on bottom of pie plate and then caramel ( you can buy it in the refrigerated fruit section ) sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Serve with apple wedges for dipping. Looks nice if you use two colored apples.

And of course there is always the seven layer bean dip... recipe can be found everywhere. A nice touch, cut and bake your own pita chips.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Bruschetta with basil, tomato, and mozzarella is easy. Or pesto, tomato, and mozzarella.

Stuffed tomatoes (bread crumbs, gruyere, thyme, lemon zest)

Texannie

07-16-2001

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
This is a great, easy dip,even though it might sound kinda strange. It's been passed around my family and friends for a few years now. Everyone loves it. Make it to suit your taste.

Raspberry Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Dip Recipe

1 (8 ounce each) package sharp cheddar cheese (shredded), mild cheddar, and monterray jack.
2-3 green onions (chopped)
chopped pecans, about 1/2 cup to one cup (your call)
3-4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 (16 ounce) jar raspberry chipotle sauce (found near the bbq sauce usually) or regular raspberry preserve.
Fritos corn chips, scoops

In a large bowl empty the packages of shredded cheese.
Saute chopped green onions and pecans in butter till tender, mix in with cheeses.
Add the mayonaise (use whatever amount you like in order to form the cheese together).

After everything is well blended, put into a shallow pan (like a pie pan) or shape on a platter.
pour the raspberry chipotle sauce over the top.
Most of this recipe is according to taste and how much onions and sauce you like.
cover with foil and refridgerate at least 2 hours (can be made a day ahead).
Eat with Frito Scoops
It transports great cause it needs to sit out a little bit before serving.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
what about spinach dip? with bread.

Southern_grits

10-08-2009

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Southern_grits a private message Print Post    
Texannie, that dip sounds so yummy.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hummus with pita chips, bagel bites or tortilla chips is always easy and a hit at our house.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, February 01, 2010 - 9:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Kar, I'd say do my spiced cranberry sauce over creamed cheese, served with water crackers or Wheat Thins. But I dunno if you can find cranberries any more and I only have one jar of sauce left.

But you can use that idea... jalapeno jelly over cream cheese. Fruit preserves over goat cheese. You can go sweet or savory. It's really easy to do and it's surprising how many people love it. (That cranberry sauce was a HUGE hit at a party I went to a few weeks ago. People were raving, and I was cracking up at how easy it was!)

Dfennessey

07-25-2004

Monday, February 01, 2010 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dfennessey a private message Print Post    
or you can do salsa over cream cheese as well

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 01, 2010 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
We always put some cocktail sauce and shrimp over cream cheese and eat it with crackers. Pickapeppa (sp) sauce is good on it too.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
from hungry girl newsletter:

Subway has just unveiled its new Fresh Fit Platter, loaded with Veggie Delite, Black Forest Ham, Turkey Breast, Subway Club, and Turkey Breast & Black Forest Ham sandwiches. There's plenty of meat and bread to satisfy huge appetites and, if ordered on wheat, each 4-inch sub will have at least 3g fiber and only about 150 - 215 calories and 1.5 - 3.5g fat (POINTS® value 3 - 4*). Just make sure they don't add cheese. One platter serves 5 - 9 people (15 mini subs), so plan accordingly.

Jarreau

03-02-2008

Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jarreau a private message Print Post    
Here's a great football party recipe. Every time I make it, I come home with an empty crockpot.

RO-TEL'S HEARTY BEAN DIP

2 (16-oz.) cans refried beans

2 (10-oz.) cans Ro-tel Original or Mexican Festival diced tomatoes

2 (2.25-oz.) cans sliced black olives, drained

1/2 cup sliced green onions

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese blend

Tortilla chips

1.Put beans, tomatoes, olives, green onions, parsley or cilantro and garlic salt in slow cooker. Cook on Low for 2 hours. Add cheese and cook on Low for an additional hour.

2.Serve dip with tortilla chips.

Makes 4 cups.

gosaints

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
OMG... that recipe looks delish Jarreau. One question, it is garlic SALT and not garlic POWDER?

Jarreau

03-02-2008

Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jarreau a private message Print Post    
Lexie - I use garlic salt. Plus I also add a few jalapenos to spice it up a little.

It is pretty tasty. Men LOVE this! I always get requests to bring it to our LSU Tailgate parties. I've even had men ask for the recipe - now you know that's a testament to the recipe!

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 3:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Oh, this is funny, something different for the meat eaters. The pics are a hoot!

klg2a blogspot
Super Bowl Bacon Cheese Turtleburger

The newcomer to the zoo that is bacon-centric food experiments - please give a round of applause for the Bacon Cheese Turtleburger. Created the day the Saints made their first appearance at the big dance, these little guys are sure to be a fan favorite. Who doesn't love a lot of meat on Super Bowl Sunday?

Handmade ground beef patties are topped with sharp cheddar cheese and then wrapped in a bacon weave before the Hebrew Nationals are inserted as the heads, legs and tails. Place them on a rack, cover loosely with foil and then put them into an oven heated to 400 degrees. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the bacon is done - cooked through and a little crispy, but not too crunchy.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I have to say I'm amused at the sodium amounts in some of these quick and easy recipes. While they may be quick and they may be easy, they certainly are not the healthiest are they? (Canned tomatoes PLUS canned refried beans PLUS garlic salt PLUS salted tortilla chips? That should be your sodium intake for three days!)

Just sayin'! Maybe I should start a "This is good & easy & healthy" thread! Hehehehe! :-)

Texannie

07-16-2001

Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
go for it Cost!

Christy358

07-10-2007

Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
I would love that thread.

Just make sure the easy part is really easy....

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I don't know about easy, but we do have a thread on healthy eating here:

Healthy Eating

Whoami

08-03-2001

Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 2:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
The more salt the better, or so say my taste buds.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 3:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Amen! I rarely use salt, people can sprinkle as they need if my cooking is too sparse. But that's okay with me - doesn't offend me, I offer the salt & pepper shakers when they sit down to eat. People DO have different taste buds, or so I've heard.

But heck, if they need to analyze every can of beans or tomatoes for salt content they would probably be happier staying home to cook for themselves.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I never added salt to anything I cooked, but after my husband's heart attack last year, I had to be one of those people who have to analyze every can of beans/tomatoes ect. It was a pain in the a$$ but very enlightening. If I need to use canned beans, I just rinse really well BUT, this texan will never give up her rotel! LOL

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I look at every product to analyse the salt content, it makes a difference which can of tomatoes I will buy.Unfortunately, the low sodium stuff tastes terrible and causes me to add salt.

I have been surprised how the different brands have such big differences in salt.