TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
This is Good & Easy & Healthy

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: This is Good & Easy & Healthy users admin

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
OK, since Annie is waiting so impatiently...

Here's the first quick, easy, and healthy recipe!

Crispy Health Bars
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2 cups crisped rice cereal
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins or dried cherries
1/2 cup shelled, roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup shelled, roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup roasted, salted soy nuts
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla

Spray a 13"x9" pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the pan with foil leaving excess hanging over the edges (to make removing the bars easier). In large bowl, mix cereal, oats, raisins, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and soy nuts.

In medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over cereal mixture and stir to combine.

Press into prepared pan; cool completely. Cut into 24 bars.

PER BAR: 155 calories, 6.5 gr total fat (1 gr sat fat), 5.5 gr protein, 21 gr carbohydrates, 0 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 2.5 gr fiber

I used slightly less than a half cup of raisins, and added just over a quarter cup of dried cherries. The bright color and sweetness of the cherries makes a nice counterpoint to the bland colors of the nuts and cereal, and a nice complement to the peanutty flavor.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Here's another easy recipe. I make this one in the winter, when fresh strawberries from the farmer's market aren't as juicy as the rest of the year. The actual recipe I had is lost, but this is very similar.

Oatmeal Yogurt Parfait
“Healthy Fast Food” (no cooking)
From Claudette at Scarborough Fair Bed and Breakfast

Mix this the night before you want to serve it, and store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks OR the expiration date of the yogurt.

1 – 32 oz. container of vanilla yogurt
2 cups oatmeal, uncooked (you can use quick or rolled – do not use packets)
1 can crushed pineapple, undrained
Optional – 2/3 cup sliced almonds or other nut of your choice

Stir all ingredients together.

In the morning, stir and serve with more cut fresh fruit on top. If it is very thick, you can add a little milk and stir. I like fresh berries of any kind or bananas. You can also top with mandarin oranges or peaches, plums, etc...

Texannie

07-16-2001

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
yum!!!

but only two????????

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Don't get so greedy girl. I did two. It's YOUR turn! :-)

Texannie

07-16-2001

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I like processed foods! LOL
i am a southern cook; i don't have recipes. it's all just a little of this, little of that....
my biggest thing is using lots of fresh lemon juice and lots of various herbs and spices.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We had the best smoothies last night -

In a GOOD blender mix:
1 mango, diced (no peel, obviously)
1/2 C frozen strawberries (at least until strawberry season)
1/3 C yogurt
1 navel orange, peeled
1/2 packet stevia
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

(vanilla, cinnamon & stevia approximate measures - I just dump!)

It was tasty and took about 2 minutes to whip up, start to finish!

ETA - actually, it took a couple minutes more to get the mango cup up -but it was worth it!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 1:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
{newurlhttp://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/stevia-is-sweet-but-is-it-safe/article1333389/, just googled stevia and found an excellent, cautionary article about it and other sweeteners.}

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I don't use stevia. I use honey. Locally harvested honey is good for you. Buy local! :-)

Alib

07-15-2000

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alib a private message Print Post    
So in the smoothie recipe above, how much sugar or honey would you use? I used to work in an area that looked at health issues. Aspartame has a long history of problems but as it was/is so prevalent and used by most of corporate America in their products the connection to cancer and other health problems has been virtually ignored.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Technically, in the smoothie above, I wouldn't add ANY honey. But if I did, it'd be less than a tablespoon. When I make smoothies, I let the sweetness of the fruit come thru alone.

If I were making a fruit parfait, I'd layer fruit in a cup and top with yogurt mixed with a bit of honey, then top that with a tablespoon of granola. Homemade, of course. (And when I'm feeling really ambitious, homemade yogurt. Sometimes with "fruit on the bottom" made with my homemade jam.)

Some advantages of using local honey is that it can help to prevent allergic reactions to local pollens. And it's natural. And presumably, unprocessed.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
1/2 packet of stevia is about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. so it's about 1 tsp of sugar. When the fruit will be fresh from our farmer's market this summer, the sugar will be out, but the frozen strawberries are from Sam's Club - so not terribly sweet. The pineapple and mango are fantastic, but I like the little bit of added sweetness. Makes it more "treat" like so I don't crave chocolate! LOL

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: