TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 26, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: This is good & easy: Archive through January 26, 2010 users admin

Karen

09-06-2004

Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
Teach asked that I post my prawn curry recipe somewhere. I make this about once a week... it's surprisingly inexpensive, super quick, and absolutely delicious. Note that I don't follow recipes very well, so quantities might be a bit vague.

Thai Red Curry w/ Prawns

- Approx. 4 cups of chopped veg (hard veggies are good - I use a mix of carrot, cauliflower, snow peas, broccoli and green onion (cut the onion in 2" pieces then halve lengthwise)).
- about 18 prawns (peeled, deveined) and about 1/2lb bay scallops.
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- about 1" chunk ginger, diced
- 1 tbsp dried lemongrass or 1 stalk finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk

- chopped peanuts and cilantro for topping.
- basmati or jasmine rice to serve atop

In a wok, quickly fry garlic, lemongrass and ginger in a small amount of peanut or canola oil. Add curry paste and stir until mixed in. Slowly add coconut milk.** Let simmer for a few minutes before adding your chopped veggies. After adding your veg, simmer again, covered, for about ten minutes before adding the prawns and scallops. Cook covered for another five minutes or so, until the seafood is just done. The sauce will be pretty soupy but does wonders on the rice.

**Depending on how saucy you like, sometimes I like to use about 1/4 c. from the can of coconut milk and use that as part of the cooking liquid for the rice. Makes it a bit creamier.

And again, apologies for such vagueness in the recipe. My best meals are those "throw it in a pot and pray it tastes good" recipes. Let me know if you need clarification on anything.

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Monday, June 08, 2009 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
I need your ideas for an appetizer/small plate type item to bring to a Southwestern theme party.
Already covered by others: empanadas, texas caviar, guacamole.

If anyone has any yummy ideas, I'd love 'em!! Thanks in advance :-)

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, June 08, 2009 - 5:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Do you have a shrimp ceviche on the menu, Babyruth? I'm not sure how 'Southwestern' it is, but it's definitely a Mexican favorite. Colossus lives for his yearly binge of shrimp ceviche down in Cancun.

Here is one sample recipe: Shrimp Ceviche

Link is to About.com. Dice up the shrimp and serve with large dipping tortillas.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Monday, June 08, 2009 - 6:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Bobby Flay is the king of Southwestern cuisine. Here's a link with a bunch of his recipes:

http://www.foodieview.com/food/recipes/bobby_flay.jsp

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Monday, June 08, 2009 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
Thanks GAL and Hukd! Great ideas :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 08, 2009 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
THANKS, Karen! That DOES look easy and delicious, and it's now on our menu for next week. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 08, 2009 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Quick question - could I substitute a bit of plain yogurt for the coconut milk?

Karen

09-06-2004

Monday, June 08, 2009 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
You probably could but its the coconut milk that plays off the lemon grass and curry paste and gives it that Thai flavour. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's an allergy thing. I don't know ... try it and let me know how it is. :-)

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
FAT FREE
Pita Pizzas
We tried this last night......so good. I fed it to my DH and he had no clue it was fat free.

Sarah Lee Pita Breads (fat free)
Contadina Pizza sauce
Fat Free shredded Mozzerella
Bell Peppers
Onions
Mushrooms

Toast the pitas on a cookie sheet in the oven at about 350 for about 7 minutes

Take them out, spread on some sauce, sprinkle with cheese and veggies

Pop em back in the oven for about 10 more minutes until the veggies are cooked and cheese good and melted.

These were awesome crispy crust pizzas.

Babyruth

07-19-2001

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyruth a private message Print Post    
GAL, I made the ceviche from the recipe link you posted. It turned out GREAT and was complimented like crazy. So, thanks very much! :-)

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've never cooked a whole lot on the stove top (or much any place else). I tried bay scallops a couple years ago. Didn't turn out well. I bought the bigger sea scallops today. Just plan to sear / cook them on the stove top. Guess it is pretty easy. Found two basic recipes with virtually same instructions, so I guess I know what to do. Anyone offer any suggestions in next half hour?

I hope I do a good job of it. I could live on scallops. I LOVE SCALLOPS.

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I wouldn't serve 'em in a restaurant, but they were edible. I didn't overcook them. Overcooking makes scallops tough and rubbery. I love scallops.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Colour, I love scallops, but I've never made them. When I order them in restaurant's they are always a treat, and I am NOT much of a seafood person. Anyhow, this photo is how I love them best - as Coquilles St. Jacques. (I found the recipe for you. :-))

http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=3070

Colordeagua

10-25-2003

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Looks good. Thanks, Mame. Little more of a complicated recipe than I'd want to attempt. I'm very much a KISS person.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I used to order it all the time at a fancy supper-club I used to go to on media nights at the Imperial Room at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel. Unfortunately they only have a band there now, whereas they used to have full-fledged shows years ago.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We made Karen's Thai Red Curry recipe with chicken instead of prawns last night, and it was a complete hit! Totally delicious, and super quick and easy. :-)

Karen

09-06-2004

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
YAY!!! I seriously cook that about once a week. So simple, so quick, so delish, and so cheap. And I LOVE the fact that even though I make it about fifty times a year, I've never made the same curry twice. Different every time. Glad you enjoyed it, Teach.

Karen

09-06-2004

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karen a private message Print Post    
Did you substitute yogurt for coconut milk? I'm curious how that would be...

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I didn't this time, just used the coconut milk, but I will next time and will let you know. THANKS for responding so I can put your name on the recipe in my database. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 31, 2009 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I think I found the perfect combo of blueberry muffin recipes. Try this out and let me know if you like them as much as my family (and the high school band) did.

(Double Batch Recipe - just split in half for 12 muffins)

2+ C fresh or frozen blueberries
3 C flour
1 C corn meal
1 1/3 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, well beaten
2 C buttermilk
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
1-2 Tb orange juice

Sift flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in large bowl. In medium bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and butter. Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix just until lumpy. Fold in blueberries. If batter is a bit dry due to the cornmeal, add orange juice a little bit at a time.

Put 1/3 C into greased or lined muffin tins. If you want, sprinkle tops with a bit more sugar. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes (15 is usually good).

So light, so fluffy, and the vanilla makes them smell like heaven while they're cooking (especially since I used my good Mexican vanilla!).

These freeze really well, and I get about 30 muffins from this double batch.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Got a terrific buy on boneless pork chops from Kroger, so I bought enough to make about five meals. I'm looking for some terrific pork recipes, my repertoire is limited to stuffed pork chops or pork baked in cream of mushroom soup.

Anyone?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 5:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Oh the horror of cream of mushroom soup! It absolutely disgust me. I just don't understand why people like it or use it. Just look at it for gosh sakes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, can add to anything, makes great casseroles, etc, Blech. Isn't that what people use to make that disgusting green bean with french onion thing for Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Anyway, you asked about pork chops. Hubby makes a pork chop and apple dish that is rather nice. We sometimes sprinkle a little Greek Seasoning on them before we grill them. There is also a tasty honey and hosin sauce he uses then grills them. We usually serve pineapple that has been sprinkled with cinnamon and grilled as well. He is sleeping (I can't sleep) so I will ask him for the recipes later if you are interested. I like Shake and Bake pork chops but not the Italian flavored.

Metoo

02-22-2005

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Metoo a private message Print Post    
Ranch Pork Chops

ΒΌ cup bread crumbs
1 pk dry Ranch salad dressing mix
6 pork chops (can be with bone or boneless)

Combine bread crumbs and salad dressing mix in zip lock bag. Add pork chops and shake to coat. Bake on ungreased baking pan at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.

I also make this recipe using chicken pieces (legs, wings, thighs, breasts whatever you like).

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Good Housekeeping had a fantastic looking Cuban Pork recipe this month:

}2-3 Limes
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 pork tenderloin (1 1/4 lbs), cut crosswise into 8 slices (each flattened slightly)
1 can (15-19 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
3 C chopped jicama (1 lb)
1/4 C loosley packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

From 1-2 limes, grate 2 tsp. peel and squeeze 3 TB juice. Cut remaining lime into wedges. In small bowl, combine peel, oil, cumin, garlic, and 1/2 tsp. salt; rub on both sides of pork slices.

Spray large ridged grill pan w/Pam; heat on medium until hot. Cook port 11 to 14 minutes or until browned on outside and still slightly pink in center, turning once.

Combine beans, jicame, lime juice, cilantro and 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve pork with salad and lime wedges.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have any yummy, but somewhat easy, soup recipes?