TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I was just watching Paula Deen's Cookie Swap and besides getting me hungry for cookies, it also got me to thinking about Christmas when I was a kid.

Granny used to make popcorn bowls (spread popcorn mix over a greased bowl, then put two halves together to form a big, empty ball) and then we'd make cookies, popcorn balls, rice crispy treats, and candy to fill them with. And I got to thinking about my favorite cookie we made, probably because with Caleb's peanut allergy it's not one I can make without leaving out the peanut butter.

Anyways, was thinking we could post are holiday cookie recipes and have them all in one place.

No Bake Chocolate Paunut Butter Cookies:

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal

Preparation:
In large saucepan, combine sugar, milk, cocoa, salt, and butter and mix well. Bring to a boil and cover saucepan for 30 seconds to allow steam to wash sugar crystals down sides of pan. Stir mixture and bring it to a boil that can't be stirred down for 1 minute. Then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth. Add oatmeal and mix well. Do not use regular or instant oatmeal; quick-cooking oatmeal is essential to the success of this recipe.
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the oatmeal absorb some of the liquid.

Drop mixture by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment lined baking sheets or Silpat sheets. Let cool until you can touch the mixture; then reshape the cookies to make them more a ball shape. Let cool completely; store at room temperature. You can also pour this mixture into a 9" square pan that has been greased with unsalted butter, let cool, then cut into squares.

link

Chewpito

01-04-2004

Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Wargod, that is one of my favorite recipes and the funny thing is I dont really do well with choc as it gives me horrid migranes..... but I make them every yr any way cause peeps love them... (i love peanut butter/or anything nuts)...
Today I made just the dough of 'white choc/mac nut with ournge zest' and 'oatmeal raisen' cookie dough, and am working on some choc chip/walnut cookie dough right now to also frig... tomorrow Im making my fav ginger cookie and a seseme seed cookie dough then I will just have a bake off on Monday then wrap up cute with ribbon and stuff for gifts for friends and just people that have been good to me thru the yr...
Oh forgot the little snowball cookies that my daughter loves the best....lol...
Baking is about the most girly thing I do and I get into it big time....Befor my hands got so bad I used to make the cutest cutout cookies that I hand decorated very special... after I iced them with a nice white glaze I would hand paint them with a very thin powder suger/lemon juice and food color and a actual 'tiny'paint brush.... seriously I would work on this all day..... I just cant do it any more though.....
I love to see folks recipes.....

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Oh funny, Chew, I love those cookies, but I really don't like chocolate. Hot chocolate and chocolate chips on occassion, but for the most part chocolate is not my go to sweet food.

Your seaseme seed cookies sound interesting!

Sucks when your body won't do what you want to do. I have similar issues with my wrists and some of my favorite crafts. Sometimes I just can't do what I want to do.

I'm not great at baking, certainly not by scratch, but ever so often I get the bug to do some and I'm getting to that point now. I'd already said me and the kids were doing cookies, I'm just not sure what kind of cookies we're doing yet.

Chewpito

01-04-2004

Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Youve said that your daughter likes to cook/bake so thats really good.... Ill get my seseme cookie recipe out and try to get it on here manana.... im to lazy right now, but they are tasty as long as you dont burn them....
When I get on a roll, my kitchen timer is my best bud....and I need a new one for christmas...(its #1 on my list)...
Wargod, A good bar cookie is always nice to do as well, after they have cooled and cut you plate them up you can dust with a little powder suger for 'Show'....a few candy canes for deco, great for gifts as well....

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 1:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Yep, she loves being in the kitchen, she especially loves doing desserts. Santa's bringing her a bag of cookie mix and an oven mitt this year, lol.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'll be baking next week on vacation. Our family specialty includes a fabulous soft sugar cookie dough with nutmeg in it. They are not rolled cookies, but they are so dang good, no one cares! I'll also make some rolled sugar cookies and then soft molasses cookies. Top everything off with a couple of sugar cream pies, and it will officially be Christmas!

I don't have my cookie recipes dug out yet, but I'll come back and post them when I do.

The Sugar Cream Pie Recipe:

In an 8-9" pie plate, mix:
1 1/2 C flour
2 T sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix in 2 Tb milk and add 1/2 C vegetable or canola oil

Mix by hand until it holds together and then press along bottom and sides of pan. Brush with egg white.

FILLING:
Heat 2 C heavy cream until hot but not boiling. Stir occasionally.

While cream heats, in large bowl mix
1 C sugar
1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp. salt

When cream is hot, add to sugar mixture and whisk until sugar is completely dissolved.

Add 2 T pure vanilla (Mexican is best).

Put in an ice bath until completely cool. (I usually mix up the pie crust while the filling cools).

When cool, pour filling into crust (I recommend doing this as close to the stove as possible. You don't want to have to carry it very far!)

Top with 2 TB butter cut in tiny pieces, then sprinkle with a bit of nutmeg.

Cover the crust edges and bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Take off cover, lower heat to 350 and bake for another 45-55 minutes, until top is golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
War, that is my DH's absolute favorite cookie of all times. Your grandmother's popcorn bowl sounds really interesting, do you have the recipe/directions for that?

My niece and I are going to make an Italian Rum Cake and try our hand at Creme Brulee next week.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
The sugar cream pie sounds good, Teach!

Beach, I don't have the recipe for the popcorn bowls, but it's the same mix as for popcorn balls. Granny would make a huge batch of it and while she did the bowls, we'd make the balls.

Once she had the popcorn mix made, she'd butter the outside of two glass bowls (though could probably use a cooking spray too,) then grab a handful of the mix and start spreading it/patting it into place on the bowls. Then let it harden and slip it off and she had her two half bowls.

Then she'd fill it with all the goodies she and we had made, popcorn bowls, fudge, cookies, chocolate covered cherries, etc, and put the two halves of the bowl together. Here's where I'm fuzzy and I'll have to ask sis about it, but I can't remember if she did anything to stick the two halves together somehow or if she just tied a ribbon around them from top to top (so opposite of where the bowls were joined. She'd wrap them in cellophane and then that was the Christmas presents for her co-workers, drs office, neighbors, and friends. People loved them because everything, including the bowl was edible and they looked like they took forever to make and put together though I remember doing it during an afternoon or two.

Granny never was much of a cook (wasn't terrible, but not real memorable) but she could bake like mad. It always amazed me the different candies especially that she could make.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, December 14, 2009 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
We received a box of cookies from Colossus' mother this weekend and he won't let me have any. They're all his favorites from his childhood Christmases, and he hasn't tasted any of them for years. I am shit out of luck LOL. Hoping I can convince the MIL to share some of her recipes. Every year I ask Colossus what he wants, and every year he says cookies.

I don't have any of my own to share in here, I'm sorry to say, but I'm hoping to download some of your recipes to expand my cookbook.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
GAL, we are short of cash this year to send gifts to extended family. Sis and I are making batches of sugar cookies sandwiches, chocolate crinkles and jam thumbprints to send to family. We also made batches of actual jam.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
I told the story of my nightmare with these 2 batches of shortbread cookies last night in the Holiday Thread. But they turned out fantastic! Very sturdy yet melts in the mouth. I just posted the recipe over there, but wanted to share here as well:

SHORTBREAD
yield twenty-four pieces

Cream together:

1 pound real butter
1 cup powdered sugar

In another bowl mix:

3 cups sifted flour (sifted before measuring)
3/4 cup corn starch

Gradually add the dry mix to the creamed butter-sugar mixture. If dough begins to look oily, put in the refrigerator to firm up.

Roll and cut into 3" by 1-1/2" pieces about 1/4" thick. To prevent sticking, roll the dough between two pieces of waxed paper.

Put three indentations down the center of each piece.

Place pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1" apart.

Bake in preheated oven at 300-325F for 30-45 minutes, until golden. You do NOT want to brown the shortbread.

NOTE: use only 100% butter -- nothing else tastes good.
- - -
Bisc Note: While I was reading up on recipes, in case I couldn't find this, one site said when you're rolling don't work it too much. So I kept trimming off the scraps, putting into one bowl. At the end I refrigerated for about 20 minutes, then rolled out all the scraps for my OWN cookies to eat. Those leftover scrap cookies are pretty fragile but still taste fantastic.

Also, I needed to use fresh sheets of waxed paper each time for rolling because it still stuck to the waxed paper and left residues. They do blow up a bit, that's why you need to give them the 1" space to cook.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
This recipe was given to me by another coworker about 25 yrs ago. It's the best homemade caramel corn I've ever eaten.

CARAMEL CORN

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine (I use one cube each)
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda (have measured & ready to toss in at the end)
1 can (12oz) salted cocktail peanuts
5 qts. popped corn

Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt and boil for 5-minutes, stirring constantly with wire whisk. Remove from heat and stir in soda quickly. (Will bubble up quite a bit.)

Pour over popcorn and peanuts, and mix. Bake at 250degrees for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. I use one of those aluminum disposable turkey roaster pans you buy for approx. $3 during holidays. Just the right size for one batch, but don't overfill with popcorn maybe 1-1/2 inches from the top, to allow for stirring and to allow enough caramel for all.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have a good popcorn ball recipe. Not with marsh mallows. My grandma made great popcorn balls and we all wish someone knew the recipe she used.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Sugar, do these look familiar? I seem to recall using corn syrup (rather than marshmallows) for popcorn balls, years ago.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Old-Time-Popcorn-Balls/Detail.aspx

I've trimmed my baking this year due to lacka time. I'm making about 10 lbs of fudge, plus only two other items: coconut pralines (a very Hawaiian treat that I recreated when I got back from vacay), and spiced pretzel sticks (cuz you need something spicy to go with the sweet). :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Made some molasses cookies, but it isn't the recipe I used to have. I'm looking for a recipe that makes the big chewy kind. I've got "chewy" but they puff up and don't spread out at all. The taste is okay - so I'm pretty sure my brothers will devour them anyway. LOL

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was at a holiday party a couple weeks ago. While standing in line waiting our turn at the pot luck several of us by the desert table were wondering about these orange drop cookies. I was convinced they had raisens (ICK) or some other dried fruit (More ICK) in them. Someone at my table tried one and was saying how good they were. Naturally the rest of us tried them as well. Thankfully we were saying nice things as the lady who made them was right next to us. They were different but good.

1 Can of pumpkin
1 yellow cake mix
1 bag of cinnamon chips (I've never seen or heard of them)

Take the dry yellow cake mix, add the can of pumpkin, stir, then stir in the cinnamon chips.
Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet cook @ 350 for 8-11 minutes.

I may make them next year for something different.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Making 7-layer bars tonight:

Layer 1: Graham crackers mixed w/sugar
Layer 2: and melted butter
Layer 3: Coconut
Layer 4: Chocolate Chips
Layer 5: PB chips
Layer 6: Sweetened condensed milk
Layer 7: Chopped peanuts

Cook at 325 anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I am making 3 cheater croquembouches (with premade cream puffs but I am making my own ganache! LOL), and a red velvet cake.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Making another frickin' batch of fudge tonight. Sigh...

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
This is what we are going to attempt tomorrow. The dough needs to chill overnight, so they won't be finished til Wednesday. I think that is a good idea so we can clean up one mess and regroup before finishing. We are not "top chefs," that is for sure!!!

Texannie

07-16-2001

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 4:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
cute!

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
Julie!! That is so cool. I want to make some too!!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Made a peanut cheesecake today and will be making chocolate chip cookies later. Got company coming, so that will be it for today - tomorrow, I have to finish it all!

Panda

07-15-2005

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
my friend made those melted snowman cookies yesterday!!! She also posted the recipe for me and she told me since she is doing so much baking she just used ready to use dough but assured me she knew how to make her own..lol

http://staceyssweetshop.blogspot.com/

my friend submitted a picture-she is "Kelly"

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, December 16, 2019 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have a good spritz cookie recipe that works?

I see some use baking powder and others say not to use it at all. I've never made them before and I am confused. Thanks in advance!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: