TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Vegetarian recipes for a teen

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Vegetarian recipes for a teen users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 27, 2009Costacat25 10-27-09  11:29 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Whoami

08-03-2001

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Well, I got all my ingredients for the pot pie. Now I just have to find the time to make them. Yes, I said them. I went with the individual pie tins, which I did actually think of (but I can't argue with my being silly Chewpito,LOL), but was countering the inconvenience of having to break up/piece together the full sized pie crusts for the smaller pie tins as opposed to going with a full sized one.

I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Now, what would you do....cook all the individual pies and then freeze the cooked ones for later. Or cook only what you plan to eat, then prepare/freeze the rest and only cook them when you have them for later? I'm kinda figuring on cooking/freezing. But if anyone has a good argument for preparing/freezing then cooking later, I'll listen.

Beekindpleez

07-18-2006

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beekindpleez a private message Print Post    
While not a vegetarian family, one of the meals I could always get my sons to eat was the following:

Can of kidney beans, drained
Can of pinto beans
Can of flavored chopped tomatoes
Can of sliced black olives, drained
Frozen Corn
Carrots
Celery
Onion
Little salt
Little pepper
Little Marjoram
Chili powder
Dash of Tabasco

Anything else you might like can be added, such as potato, peas, etc. Fresh veggies always went over much better than canned.

Cook until veggies are tender.

Doesn't take long at all to cook...just over an hour on a medium-high heat.

Serve with Corn Bread.

Yum.

Of course, if she doesn't like veggies at all, that may never fly. LOL

Beekindpleez

07-18-2006

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beekindpleez a private message Print Post    
Oh...and a good salad, which may mask some of those awful veggies:

Fresh Broccoli, cutting into small pieces. (I cut the stem, and make little broccoli bits that they never even notice, lol. And I cut the "tree part" down as small as I can get it)
Apples, peeled and chunked into about half inch pieces
Tangerine or Orange bits, again, cut to half inch
Cucumber
Red Onion or Green Onion, or both
Carrots
Celery
Radish
Romaine Lettuce, sliced thin, like practically shredded
Any type of nut: Pine Nuts, Almonds, Macadamia, even just salted cocktail nuts. You can also use those Wheat Nuts.
Dried fruits, such as raisins, cranberries or cherries

Cole Slaw Dressing

Add the ingredients to your taste. More of one, less of another.
It's colorful, crunchy, sweet, tangy. Every bite is different.
It's also a good way to use up whatever produce you might have all at once.

Good luck to her!

Chewpito

01-04-2004

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Whoami...... dont cook them first...(the ones you are gonna freeze)...I soppose you could....but putting the unbaked pot pies (frozen and all)...in the oven will be better...flaky crust and all that bubbly goodness....plus it will warm the house and make things smell good....lol...

Costacat

07-15-2000

Friday, October 30, 2009 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Actually, depending on how many you wanna make of the pies and how you plan to eat 'em, I'd maybe do it both ways...

If you freeze them uncooked, you can bake them off in the oven and you'll have a lovely flaky crust. But you'll have to bake them off.

If you freeze them cooked, you can nuke 'em in the microwave. The crust won't be as lovely, but it's a really fast and easy way to grab a meal when you're in a hurry.

So if you're making a lot of the pies, I'd probably do half 'n half. That way you can quickly heat up a pie if you're in a hurry, but if you want to have a more special meal, you can bake 'em off.

As far as wrestling with the pie dough, simply roll out the dough and either use a glass that's the same size as the pie tins or trace around a tin. Re-roll the dough and continue making the tops. (Assuming of course, you'll forgo the bottoms.) Be sure not to really overwork the pie crust, though, as it can quickly get tough. Another reason why I prefer puff pastry! :-)

Whoami

08-03-2001

Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Update on our pot pies....they came out pretty good. I used the individual pot pie tins. We both thought we'd prefer a bottom crust, but it didn't come out very good, the bottom/sides didn't cook good and were gummy still. So we only did a bottom crust on the first two. Those two lasted us a meal and some leftovers for the next day. And actually when we did the leftovers, I just scooped up the whole thing, flipped the mixture over so the bottom crust was now on the top, and cooked them again the next day. LOL. So at least that solved the gummy crust problem!

For the pies that were destined for the freezer, I decided to not make them up all the way, cause the pie tin wouldn't sit easily in the freezer for a prolonged period of time (stuff gets jostled around in there, and the tins would get all banged up). So I lined the tins with plastic wrap, measured in the rest of the filling that ended up going into 6 more individual pies. Then I folded the plastic wrap over the top of the mixture and set the tins in the freezer until the filling had frozen into the shape of a pie tin. I took them back out, wrapped them up real good to prevent freezer burn, stored them in a large plastic bag to keep them together. Then I cut out the pie crusts to make 6 top crusts, rolled them back up, wrapped those back up real good and froze them too. Now all I have to do when we decide to have pot pies again is take out two frozen filling "chunks" and two crusts, set them in the fridge to thaw out. With the filling in the shape of a tin, all I have to do is unwrap the chunk, set it in a tin, cover the tin with the provided lid, and let it thaw out in the fridge, in the tin I'll be cooking it in.

As for the actual filling, I used a variation of that provided above, but added my own touch (meat). So since this is a vegetarian thread, I won't include my recipe. Since I wasn't sure when Mom would be getting up, and never know how much time I might have to cook (depending on when she wakes up, when she'll end up going to the bathroom to put in her teeth, and eventually end up at her chair). I could have hours or just minutes. So, I just threw all the stuff in a crock pot and let it cook for a few hours until it looked good. Turned off the crock pot, let the stuff cool, put it in the fridge and just had to slap the filling and crusts together and bake once Mom was finally ready to eat!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Who, if you want bottom crusts in the future, then make the crusts and par bake them (make the crust and cut off edges, line with foil, fill with beans, and bake for 10-15 mins). You can then fill with the pie filling and top crust, and bake. I pre-bake most crusts just cuz I can't stand soggy bottom crusts (when I use 'em).

Serate

08-21-2001

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
Dear Ina Garten,

It is NOT vegetarian if you use chicken stock!!!!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
OFGS. Please don't tell me she was making a vegetarian dish and used chicken stock?

That just irritates me no end. I cannot tell you how often I ask if something is vegetarian and someone will say yes. Then I ask what kind of stock it's made with and they'll say chicken. When I say that's not vegetarian they act all surprised. VEGETARIANS DON'T EAT ANY ANIMALS THAT HAD TO DIE, YOU EEJITS!!!!!!!!

Serate

08-21-2001

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
OK I won't.

But she did.

I guess with all the veggies she put into the risotto she figured it canceled out the chicken stock. I even restarted the show to make sure I remembered right that it was supposed to be a vegetarian main dish.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
vrg.org has lots of vegetarian/vegan recipes and good articles for teens.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Vegetables in a recipe DO NOT CANCEL out using chicken stock. Damn, is she an idiot or what? And she really did say it was vegetarian? Seriously? She should be removed from TV. And from ever allowing to say anything is vegetarian. LOL.

Serate

08-21-2001

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Serate a private message Print Post    
I know Costa. Is she an idiot? She seems very intelligent usually. USUALLY. And YES she REALLY say it. At the beginning of the show, which was all about veggies, she said she was making a wonderful vegetarian risotto. Then she put chicken stock in it.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I can't stand Ina Garten (or Paula Deen, or the lady with the white rooster hair, or Guy Fieri) or her husband. I always get an icky feeling from them, like as soon as the credits start running, they are going to roll naked in chicken fat all over her kitchen island.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
As a non-vegetarian, I've made the same mistake. Someone on TVCH asked me about my recipe, and they kindly pointed out my stock wasn't vegetarian. :-) Fortunately, I don't have my own TV show, and now I'm more careful when I'm working on vegetarian style dishes. We try to do fish at least once a week and one meatless day, and I've gotten much better and keeping vegetable stock on hand!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Mushroom stock is available in some places and gives a lovely rich depth of flavor to vegetarian dishes -

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ooooo, that sounds delicious! I've never seen it in our store, but I've never looked. Next trip will be a treasure hunt!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It doesn't matter what kind of stock you use. If you are making a vegetarian dish and the stock is NOT a vegetable base, it's not vegetarian.

And as a vegetarian, I can tell you that you can *not* always find mushroom broth in your regular grocery store.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, November 19, 2012 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
I'm not a vegetarian, but ran onto this on a blog. Might be interesting to some folks, he shows a video of the construction, next to his Directions, fun watch. He does point out the bit about using veg soup stock.

The Veggieducken: A Meatless Dish With Gravitas
http://www.npr.org/2012/11/18/165283895/the-veggieducken-a-meatless-dish-with-gravitas

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, February 18, 2019 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Texannie, I can't believe this thread is 9 years old! It seems like it was only a year (2 at most) that you were asking for ideas. Is your daughter still a vegetarian?

I came looking in here because my niece became one this year and it drives me crazy what she eats when she comes out to visit for the weekend.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, February 18, 2019 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
No, she isn’t. :-)

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, February 18, 2019 - 10:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I have hope! Lol!

Though I did make a mean black bean and spinach burrito for her the other night that everybody loved.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
That sounds yummy!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: