TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 14, 2009

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Recipes inspired by Big Brother: Archive through September 14, 2009 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dug up from the archives, I'm going to repost the recipes from the BB 2009 thread!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Angelrsg

08-08-2005

Monday, July 06, 2009 - 9:42 am Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Angelrsg a private message Print Post Summer Pasta

1 box bowtie pasta
grape tomatoes
oregano
garlic
olive oil
salt
pepper

Boil the pasta as per package instructions. In a separate pot throw in the grape tomatoes. Add enough olive oil to coat the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper to taste and 2 cloves of garlic, sliced. Let the mixture simmer on med-low heat until the tomatoes burst. Drain the pasta and mix everything together.

You can also put the tomato mixture in the oven to roast. You can enjoy this either hot or room temp. Good recipe for picnics and bbq's.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Erniesgirl

06-26-2006

Monday, July 06, 2009 - 9:50 am Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Erniesgirl a private message Print Post from Erniesgirl (Val):

Pineapple Cake Recipe

2 CUPS FLOUR
2 CUPS SUGAR
2 EGGS
2 TSP. BAKING SODA
1 TSP. VANILLA
1/2 CHOPPED WALNUTS (OPTIONAL)
1 (20-OZ) CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
(UNSWEETENED, JUICE AND ALL)

STIR ALL INGREDIENTS UNTIL MIXED WELL.
GREASE A 9 x 13 PAN.
BAKE AT 350 DEGREES 40 MINUTES.

from Carrly:

GLORIFIED RICE:

1 CUP COOKED RICE
20 OZ. CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE DRAINED
1/2 CUP DRAINED MARASCHINO CHERRIES
1 CONTAINER COOL WHIP
YOU CAN THROW SOME CHOPPED WALNUTS OR PECANS ON TOP

from Teachmichigan:

For this recipe, you can eat it in a bowl - and put it in the crock pot in the morning, so the only thing you have to do during BB, is scoop and eat!

In crockpot, mix 2 cans drained corn and 1 can drained & rinsed black beans and 1/2 C salsa. On top, place 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Top w/another 1 1/2 C salsa. Cook on low 6-8 hours. If you want, you can top it w/cilantro and a lime wedge - depends on how much "repeat" goes on at the beginning of the episode.

If you like spicy, use spicy salsa. Easiest, quickest dinner in the world!

from Lori32:

Just a tip I use everyday almost. There are very,very many things you can make in the morning,while it is still cool out and before the house guests are awake that you can prepare and cook,and then just place in the crock pot on warm.
I make:

Hamburgers and fries-(cook burgers and fries,place a sheet of foil between and cover and put on warm) Have toppings sliced and ready in sandwich bags.

Spaghetti-(prepare meat or marinara sauce,stir in cooked noodles,place in crock on warm) french bread and bagged salad round out the meal

Fried chicken breast-(cook as normal,place in crock on you guessed it,warm) bagged salad and micro steam veggies

Hot dogs.Here is a big hit here,place desired amount of dogs in crock on LOW,and they will taste like the good steamed kind you get at ballgames.

I have much more,and if you want to PM me or add me on myspace I will email you whatever you want.I love to cook,even more than I love BB,but its a close call.

from Puppypaws:
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well..

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT !

from Twiggyish:
This is a very easy recipe.. It will be ready to eat when BB starts that night..

Pulled Pork -in the crock pot

1 large pork roast
several cups of water
Salt and whatever seasonings you want
1 jar of your favorite bbq sauce

In a large crockpot place the pork and enough water to cover the pork. (about an inch from the top of the pot)
Cover and cook all day. (Start on high and then turn down)
When the pork is tender and falls apart, take a fork and shred it. Drain off the remaining water. Then, pour the entire contents of sauce into the pot and stir. You can add whatever seasoning you like to this dish.
Serve on buns.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
rom Nana731:
Ok here's my crock pot Italian Beef.

Put chuck roast in crock pot, with some cut up onions, garlic salt, cover with water. Let cook on high all day until beef tears apart with a fork. Shred it all up, then add 2 pkgs of dry Italian Seasoning. Serve on buns.

from me again, Erniesgirl (Val):
another option is to teach the kids to do it themselves:

TATER TOT CASSEROLE
ground beef
tater tots
1 can cream of celery soup (or you can use cream of mushroom)
diced onion (if you like onion)
salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375.
Brown the ground beef & onion together.
Drain off the fat.
Spray a casserole dish with Pam.
Place browned meat into casserole dish.
Spread the cream of celery soup over the meat.
Place frozen tater tots on the top layer.
Bake at 375 for about 50 minutes.

another one from Lori32:
Here is a cake you can throw together while you are (A) waiting for BB to record on the dvr for a few so you can ffwd thru commercials.. OR
(B) Take a few minutes before it starts to assemble

Dump Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 can cherry OR strawberry pie filling
1 can pineapple tidbits,drained
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
2 sticks butter or margarine

place pineapple and pie filling in a 13 x 9 glass baking dish.sprinkle dry cake mix,coconut and nuts over top,in that order. Cut butter up and sprinkle over all. Bake at 350 until golden and bubbly. Serve warm.. YUM-O

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sstahl64

03-13-2008

Monday, July 06, 2009 - 12:16 pm Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sstahl64 a private message Print Post Ugly Duckling Cake

1 yellow cake mix I use the one with pudding
2 eggs
1 can crushed pineapple with juice (or you can use fruit cocktail)
1 cup coconut
beat for 3 mins med speed

place in 9X13 greased cake pan and sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar on top. Bake at 350 for 45 mins.

about 10 mins before done you will need to make the topping:

in a sauce pan
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
bring to boil and continue to boil for 3 mins stirring constantly then turn off heat added 1 1/3 cup coconut to the mixture stir.

pour mixture over cake immediately out of oven. Enjoy warm or cold!

My family loves this!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lori32

07-04-2008

Monday, July 06, 2009 - 3:31 pm
I can't believe I forgot this one.(Tap me if you get annoyed at my incessant recipe posting,I have an endless list of recipes rattling around in my noggin)

Sausage Pizza Squares

2 cans refrigerate crescent rolls
4 eggs,beaten
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb bulk pork sausage,crumbled,browned and drained.
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)

Press each roll of dough into 2 lightly greased 13x9 pans.(I prefer metal pan for a crisper crust)
Press to seal cracks and about an inch up the side of each pan. Sprinkle half of the sausage over each crust.Pour half of beaten eggs over sausage.Sprinkle Cheese over all.Season with salt,pepper and red pepper flakes if desired.Bake at 375* until golden brown and eggs are set.

Possibilities are endless here,you can change the cheese,substitute ham or bacon,use flavored sausage,etc etc.. These are excellent made ahead,but beware,the original recipe made one batch,I had to make it doubled because my family of FOUR devoured it and wanted more.It's THAT good.. Pop them on a pan in the oven,toaster oven or on a plate in the nuker. They are wonderful..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 12:09 pm
EASY VEGGIE SNACKS
Easiest salad in the world: chunk up cucumbers and tomatoes and top w/a bit of lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper.

Or - dump a pint of grape tomatoes in a bowl, tear up 3 or 4 fresh basil leaves, spritz w/olive oil and season w/sea salt. You can add mozzarella to this, too, and it's fabulous!

Pull out your food chopper and in literally 5 minutes you can have pico de gallo that's good on top of salad, baked potatoes, etc.

Chop: 3-4 roma tomatoes, 2 jalapenos (w/seeds for spicier version), 1 serrano (again - seeds optional), 1/2 red onion, 1 bunch cilantro. Toss all this w/a 1/2-1 tsp. of olive oil, juice of a lime and season w/salt.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Angelicfairies2

07-19-2004

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 5:08 pm
So many great recipes. Anyone have a simple 'Chicken Pot Pie" recipe? I've been looking online but most of the reviews say the sauce is runny and I like my chicken pot pie sauce to be thick. Thanks

Lori32

07-04-2008

Combine 2 cups of cubed cooked chicken breast,2 cups of frozen mixed veggies and 2 cans cream of chicken soup.Pour into lightly greased 13x9 baking dish.Across top place an unrolled can of crescent roll dough.(prior to assembling unroll dough and press edges to seal)brush with beaten egg and bake at 350* until golden brown and bubbly..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Puzzled

08-27-2001

Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 7:30 am
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

1C flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 C shortening (or butter)
1-1/3 C brown sugar
2 eggs
2 C oats
1 C raisins
Put the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add everything but raisins and beat. Then add the raisins. Stir and drop by tsp on a greased sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

I got this recipe from the Quaker Oats label years ago. Sometimes I don't add the raisins, or I use dried cranberries instead, or add peanuts.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Chitchat58

07-25-2008

Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 11:58 am

I have a great low-fat cake recipe that is easy.
1 box of angel food cake
1 can crushed pineapple (16 oz.)
mix them together juice and all and put in a cake pan and bake at recommended temps on box. I spray pam on the bottom of the pan so it doesn't stick.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Christiii

07-07-2005

Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 12:08 pm

dont forget my very favorite......
DUMP CAKE!!!
lg. can crushed pineapple
1 can cherry pie filling
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 (3 1/2 oz.) can flaked coconut
1 c. pecans, chopped
2 sticks butter, melted

Dump pineapple, including juice, into a 9 x 13 inch pan. Spread evenly. Spread the cherry pie filling over the pineapple. Spread DRY cake mix evenly over all. Then sprinkle coconut and nuts over that. Pour melted butter over all. Bake 1 hour in 325 degree oven. Serve with ice cream if you like!!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Erniesgirl

06-26-2006

Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 6:03 pm

To Die For Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

3 eggs (beaten)
1 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter (real, not margarine)
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup white sugar
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups oatmeal
3/4 cups chopped walnuts
handful dried cranberries

Combine eggs, raisins and vanilla.
Let stand for one hour at room temperature. Warning! Do not skip this step.
Cream together butter and sugars.
Add flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Mix well.
Blend in egg, raisin mixture, oatmeal, nuts and cranberries. Dough will be really stiff.
Drop by teaspoonful on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Jarreau

03-02-2008

Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 6:20 pm
If you like Balsamic vinegar - try this:

1 quart strawberries, washed, stemmed, halved
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Ice cream (vanilla or strawberry)

Place strawberries in a bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, vinegar and pepper. Toss until well combined. Let stand 1 hour or all day. Spoon strawberries with juice over the ice cream. Hmm, hmm good!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lurknomore

07-07-2001

Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 7:27 pm

Cake Mix Cookies:

What is so great is there is an almost endless combos you can create, especially when you consider mix ins. For example, a handful or two of choc chips are amazing with a Devil's food cake mix. I've made Lemon cake mix with coconut etc etc. So here is the basic recipe to follow;

Cake Mix Cookies;

1 box Cake Mix - Duncan Hines is my fav
2 eggs
Choice of 1 stick I Can't Believe it's Not Butter, Butter, OR approx 1/3 cup of oil.
Approx 1/8 cup water
1 or 2 tsp vanilla

If using Butter or I Can't Believe it's not Butter (that is what I almost always use) soften first. Oil is ok in a pinch but the taste isn't as good IMHO, and can get too greasy.

Mix all the ingredients together. If batter is too tight add a bit more water (varies from mix and add ins). The right consistency is similar to brownies. Either drop when first mixed by rounded teaspoons or chill and roll into balls. The chilled ones produce nicer looking cookies.

Bake in 350 preheated oven approx 10 minutes on a cookie sheet or aluminum foil sprayed amply with Pam. As with all cookies, leave in a couple min longer for crispy.

I usually make a batch, chill the rest and cook them hot per serving, a few at a time. Will store in fridge perfectly fine for a few days. For easy storage I often use aluminum foil sprayed with Pam. They seem to stay fresher that way. When stored in a covered bowl I've had to add a tablespoon or so of water. But trust me bake as many as you eat. They are best hot out of the oven.

One pretty variation is to roll choc cookies in powdered sugar. Toffee chips are great in vanilla (I added a bit of almond extract, with coconut in part of the batch). Your imagination is your limit. My fav though are the choc w/choc chips. Other add ins are butterscotch chips, white choc chips, any nuts, dried fruit, etc etc

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Rslover

11-19-2002

Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 7:47 pm

I've made those cake mix cookies. Good, but USE BUTTER!!

LEMON COOL WHIP COOKIES

"Light and easy cookies made with lemon cake mix."

lemon cake mix
1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip topping, thawed
2 eggs

1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration (opt.)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease baking sheets.
2. Beat together the whipped topping and eggs together. Add the lemon cake mix and continue to mix. Dough will be thick.

3. Drop by teaspoonfuls into a bowl of confectioners' sugar and roll to coat. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

STRAWBERRY COOKIES CAN BE MADE WITH STRAWBERRY CAKE MIX.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Rslover

11-19-2002

Friday, July 10, 2009 - 10:04 am

This is delicious!!

Bert Greene’s Famous Ziti Salad
Serves 6 (at least)

2 tablespoons salt
1 pound ziti
1/4 cup milk
1 medium red onion, finely diced
2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
2 small green peppers, finely diced
6 sweet gherkin pickles, finely diced
1 large shallot, finely diced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 packages George Washington brand powdered beef bouillon
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE)
Salt and pepper to taste

Add salt to a large pot of rapidly boiling water, then cook ziti until just tender. Drain, then pour into a large bowl.

Sprinkle ziti with 1/4 cup milk to moisten. Stir well.

Add vegetables and toss.

In a separate bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, bouillon, vinegar, pickle juice and dill.

Add dressing to ziti and vegetables. Mix well. Add salt and pepper.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sportsfan

09-03-2007

Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 11:44 am

Here are 2 salsa's that DH makes that are great for BB munching:

SPICY WATERMELON AND CORN SALSA

Ingredients:
2 cups diced watermelon (about 1/2-inch), seeds removed

1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (I cook my own corn then immerse the corn in cold water)

2 jalapenos or 3 serrano chiles, stem and seeds removed, chopped fine

Juice of 1/2 lime (2 tablespoons)

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
Place the watermelon, corn, and chiles in a medium bowl.

Mix together the lime juice, brown sugar, and salt until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the watermelon mixture.

Gently toss until everything is coated with the liquid.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour for the flavours to meld (watermelon breaks down remove some but not all of the liquid that is flavour).

Serve with corn chips or as a condiment for tacos, burritos, turkey burgers, etc.

MY TWEAKS

My tweaks dependant on the heat of peppers used after tasting.

I added chipotle chilli seasoning. The amount is up to you. Start with a little sprinkle. Taste as you go.

In my first batch I used 1 green onion including tops for color.

The second batch instead of green onions I used a little bit of finely diced red onion.

Mango Salsa

1 large mango, peeled and diced

2/3 cup minced red bell pepper

¬Ω cup minced red onions

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced

2 to 3 small tai chilies minced with seeds (if desired)

2 tbsp each lime juice and chopped, fresh cilantro

2tsp sugar

1 tsp olive oil

¼ tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl (preferably metal)

Mix well

Let salsa stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. This salsa is better made the day before and refrigerated allowing the ingredients to marry. If preparing day before stir ingredients every once in awhile to infuse with liquid which will gravitate to the bottom of the bowl. For lower calorie offering used baked tortilla chips.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Smokey

07-08-2003

Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 12:19 pm

If anyone loves the combo of chocolate and whipped cream, this one's for you! I had the recipe years ago, but just do it off the top of my head now. You can vary it any way you want. I made this for my party on the 4th of July (about 35 people) and they cleaned the big bowl it was in.

You can bake 1 or 2 brownie mixes, depending on the amount of people. I did 2 for my party, but 1 would be fine for a smaller group. Or, just you!

Bake brownie mix and let it cool

1 or 2 packages of vanilla pudding (I make everything as light or fat free as I can) mix with skim milk according to package

2 packages of chocolate pudding, do the same thing, mix as directed.

1 package of light cream cheese, or fat free, if you prefer. I blend (use mixer) this right in with the vanilla pudding.

1 package of crushed heath bar, found in the baking section at the grocery. It's near the chocolate chips in my market.

2 containers of whipped topping (cool whip, I use the light)

Use a large bowl or nice desert bowl and layer. Break up the brownies in small pieces and layer with pudding, vanilla, then chocolate, sprinkle heath pieces here and there. You can use the whipped topping to layer or just pile it on the top, which is what I do. Sprinkle remaining amount of heath on top.

It's fabulous. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lurknomore

07-07-2001

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 2:00 pm

I mentioned another recipe I found that I plan to try. It was originally based on Amish cookies called Ranger cookies. Not sure if these are identical but found this yummy sounding recipe and rumor has it they are pretty good. Thought I'd post here and will update as I go;

Wild Ranger Cookie's

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups crisp rice cereal
1 cup flaked coconut

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat n eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the oats, cereal and coconut.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.

Here's the blog I found this specific recipe. It has a good looking pic if anyone wants to see (I enjoy seeing food porn lol). I thought her blog had a few yummy sounding things. Still trying to decide on the breakfast casserole, but maybe with a few changes...
http://afarmerslifecooking.blogspot.com/2008/12/wild-ranger-cookies.html

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Ckrdpast

07-20-2004

quick-easy-light-fresh & yummy

pasta caprese

got this out of the local papers food section a few weeks ago, they didnt list measures of any ingredients-i've made it few times Its gonna be dinner once a week this summer-

Tubular pasta (i used cavatappi aka muellers twists)

boil pasta- drain - drizzle with olive oil and a bit of butter

add chunks of FRESH mozzarella. minced garlic, grape tomatos (i cut them in half), and ribbons of fresh basil

the heat from the pasta slightly melts the cheese and brings out the sweetness in the tomatos

season with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lori32

07-04-2008

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 4:48 pm

Here is another dressed up brownie recipe..
Mix a pkg of 13x9 size brownie mix.(or your own favorite recipe)Pour half batter
In a 13x9 pan,place 3 BIG symphony candy bars,side by side.(walmart makes a version that is WONDERFUL).Finish with other half of batter.Bake as directed.Allow to cool and they have a chocolate mousse type center..yum-o

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:11 pm

Someone here on the boards posted a recipe for Red Eye Chicken (and I can't find it using the search engine) - but DS and I altered it a bit for a REALLY fast lunch today.

First - get 10 minute rice cooking or start chinese noodles.

Mince/chop: 1 garlic clove, 1" ginger (peeled), 1 small onion, 8 oz. mushrooms

Saute garlic, onion and ginger in 1 TB of oil. After 2- 3 minutes, add mushrooms. Cook another 2- 3 mintues on med. high heat and then add 1/2 to 1 lb. shrimp. Season all with sea salt, pepper, and a few red pepper flakes.

When shrimp starts to turn pink pour on sauce made of 1/4 C soy sauce, 1/4 C water, 2 TB brown sugar, 1 heaping TB cornstarch and 1 TB chili hot sauce (w/the Red Rooster on the front of the bottle). Cook until sauce thickens.

Spoon over rice or noodles and enjoy. It only took me 15 minutes from beginning to end, and was a delightful combo of sweet and spicy.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lydia's potatoes:

Reader234

08-13-2000

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 8:49 pm

Martha Stewart makes those potatoes -
Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Peel, and halve each potato crosswise. Run tines of fork over rounded side of each half. Then put in a roasting pan (this is one she does with a standing rib roast - so the fat and meat juices combine with those potatoes!! )

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Rslover

11-19-2002

Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 8:40 pm

. Here is a recipe that I have made many times. It is easy and the dough comes out great imo. This is for an herb bread but when I use it for pizza I don't add the herbs and cheese. I usually add 1-2 T. gluten to the flour but if you don't have it, don't worry.

Italian Herb Bread I or Pizza Crust

2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
2 T. sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp. salt

1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese

6 cups bread flour (all purpose is fine)

Directions
1. Mix yeast, warm water, and white sugar together in large bowl. Set aside for five minutes, or until mixture becomes foamy.

2. Stir olive oil, salt, herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cheese, and 3 cups flour into the yeast mixture. Gradually mix in the next three cups of flour. Dough will be stiff.

3. Knead dough for 5 to 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and rubbery. Place in an oiled bowl, and turn to cover the surface of the dough with oil. Cover with a damp linen dish towel. Allow to rise for one hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.

4. Punch dough down to release all the air. Shape into two loaves. Place loaves on a greased cookie sheet, or into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Remove loaves from pan(s), and let cool on wire racks for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lancecrossfire
Animoderator

07-13-2000

Monday, July 27, 2009 - 9:50 pm

I am partial to rib eye steaks. Delmonico if you are from the east coast. Second in tenderness to tenderloin. Best marbling of all steaks, great flavor on its own merit and if you add that marbling in that comes with a good quality piece of meat it makes for the best steak to me--VERY tender, great flavor and a texture that makes your mouth water as you chew.

I'd have them cut a steak about 1.5" to 2" thick from the small end--not the large end. Trimmed nicely, but not all the fat removed--just a bit left on the outside of the steak to create a buttery chew that can't be beat. Seasoning would be fairly simple, but enough flavors to blend nicely to help the meat--not take over.

Garlic powder, a bit of onion powder, white pepper, lowery's seasoning salt (a nice blend of spices with salt), a bit of paprika a splash of Worshtershire sauce. Repeat on the other side. Steak stays out for about 40 minutes--always cook steaks that are room temp--they cook much better so you don't get burnt outside and raw inside.

Start the grill and turn both burners on high to let the whole thing get really got. At the 40 minute mark, I'd turn off one side and leave the other side on high. The steaks go down on the side with no direct heat. Leave them be with lid down for about 15 minutes. Flip them and leave another 15 minutes. Time to vary based on thickness and weight. I shoot for just not quite to medium rare because when you take them off the grill and let them sit at least 5 minutes you get just the right amount of carry over to get them right on medium rare. Never cut a piece of meat open without letting it rest--the juices will run out all over the plate--all of the juices.

After 5-7 minutes under foil it's time to go at it. As Alton Brown says, your patience will be rewarded. The blend of those spices for me really brings out the flavor of the meat and also provides just a hint of the garlic. The rest you can't identify, but if you ate a piece of the same steak that hadn't been seasoned that way you'd notice something just a bit different.

If you can possibly avoid it, don't cook a good piece of meat--no matter what it is--over direct heat. That way you don't worry about flame ups, and the meat cooks slower and much more evenly. It's the only way to grill a 2" thick steak and get it med-rare in the middle and not burnt on the outside.