TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Healthy but budget friendly recipes

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Healthy but budget friendly recipes users admin

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
It's almost an oxymoron, but do you have any healthy AND budget friendly recipes? Fresh fruits and veggies are so expensive. I don't mind canned, but frozen never seem to come out anything but mushy for me. I have been buying cheaper cuts of meats and cooking them in the crockpot but one of the reasons they are cheaper is that they are fattier.
I need to really cut my food budget, but don't want to live on mac and cheese and spaghetti (although my daughter would be happy!)

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Annie, you know just how "good" I am in the kitchen, but my neighbor sent me a link to this website. I have not even checked it out much, but it seems to fit your bill:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/healthy_hurry/cheap_eats.html

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL Julie, thanks i will check it out!

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Julie, that's a really great site!!!

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Good to hear Annie!! Glad that I was able to help you. In the kitchen no less!!!

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Winter is great cuz I love to make soups probably more than almost anything. And they are cheap and healthy to make. And if you use meat in soups, you can almost always use cheaper cuts (chicken thighs, cheaper cuts of beef) and, really, they're a meal in themselves.

But I think the best healthy and budget friendly thing to make is just to roast a whole chicken. And then you have bones to make homemade stock with, too. And roasting a chicken isn't only healthy and inexpensive...it also takes little kitchen time.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
'My name is MB and I am a Soupaholic'! Grin. Actually I really prefer stews. I call them stews cuz I add a lot of rice - at least 50 percent is rice, which is cheap and filling. My fave is beef stew with the big, meaty, osso bucco bones, and/or rib bones, with lots of chunky veggies like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, too. I use beef broth as my base, and to jazz it up sometimes I add Cambells tomato soup for flavour and sweetness.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
One little tip....when making that homemade stock, try to cool it in the 'fridge overnight...the fat will rise and harden on top, making it easy and simple to pull it off in chunks and dump it..before continuing to make your, by now, much healthier soup...

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
well, now i am frustrated. i am doing all of your suggestions. guess i am more budget minded than i thought.
i am the crockpot queen especially with soups and stews. i buy whole chickens and either cook them in the crockpot or roast them. i always get at least two meals from my beef or pork roasts.

i feel like we aren't getting enough veggies and fruits; that's where it really seems to add up.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Well, what about roasting root vegetables? That's always good and cheap. I make carrots SO often because they're so cheap. And potatoes. And parsnips (Martha Stewart has a really good recipe for mashed potatoes and parsnips that I love).

I have to admit, though, that I'm terrible about veggies because I eat most of them in soups or in salads and I do the least economical thing possible: I buy the boxes of organic baby greens that have been washed already because I really hate to do that.

I went to the store last week and got grapefruit and I have to admit I was amazed how expensive they were--not organic or anything. This time of year usually has such good stuff (citrus fruits, pears, apples) but the prices were just out of this world.

But yeah, I've been eating more rice and pasta than ever before.

Hukdonreality

09-29-2003

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hukdonreality a private message Print Post    
Texannie, make some homemade fried rice and add a ton of vegetables! It's totally different than a soup, stew, or casserole.

During the winter, I eat a lot of chili, Spanish rice, grilled cheese sandwiches (usually with sliced tomatoes OR ham inside them), and breakfast for dinner. Pancakes or eggs with sausage or bacon and toast is a great dinner! In fact, I just made my Mom and I egg mcmuffins last night. I get canadian bacon in bulk and freeze probably 6 together for just such occasions.

For a good amount of cheap veggies, have you ever made what my family has always called "boiled dinner"? It's just a chunk of ham, cabbage cut into wedges, potatoes, and carrots. Use a can of chicken broth to make it yummier. Super cheap, super filling, and really good for you.

Can't help you much on fruit, I'm not a fruit person, but I do eat quite a bit of warmed applesauce that I've added cinnamon to.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Not sure how much this'll help, but might be worth a look:

http://www.cheapcooking.com/recipes-vegetarian.htm

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i do lots of stir fries. i finally found a semi decent frozen vegetable. costco's stir fry veggie mix. i don't add any water just some soy sauce and sesame seeds.
we have been having alot of avocado/tomato/corn salads cause avocados are 59 cents each right now!!! (which kind of confuses me, thought they were summer fruits.)
i guess i have just been lazy lately and gotten in a rut.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
thanks julie!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm a huge soup fanatic too - we did white chili tonight...cheap w/only white beans, green chilies, turkey/chicken/ham, chix stock and seasonings. We actually had 18 lb. bags of grapefruit for $5 here, so my mom and I split one. I can't eat the whole thing (and DH isn't allowed to eat them b/c of medication), but DS and I love them. I'm getting another bag this week if the price is the same!

Abbynormal

08-04-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abbynormal a private message Print Post    
I wanted to add that I love grapefruit and know that a lot of people put sugar on it. I personally use a pinch of salt. Don't know if anyone else does this but if not you should try it. It's really good.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I take my grapefruit straight - no sugar - but then, I only eat Rio Star grapefruit that are so sweet they don't need anything. I put salt on my watermelon - does that count? :-)

Abbynormal

08-04-2001

Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abbynormal a private message Print Post    
Yum, I love them sweet. I just found that if they are not naturally sweet that salt takes out the bitterness. I like to eat them like an orange. About the salt and watermelon, that is just wrong! No seriously, I can't eat them but my DH is a freak about them so we always have one when in season. He uses salt, so to each his own. But yeah, y'all are weird. :-)

Boberg

10-04-2002

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
I have been trying to get more raw food into my diet and found this recipe. I tried it yesterday and it was delicious. Thought I would share it.

Easy Raw Pad THai Salad Recipe:

2 zucchinis, sliced into strips with a vegetable peeler
2 large handfuls of bean sprouts
3/4 cup chopped nuts (raw, not salted or dried)
1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
4 green onions , diced
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Juice from one lime
1 tablespoon raw olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt

(I added a little Thai fish sauce and red pepper flakes)

Preparation: Toss all ingredients together in a bowl until well coated. Add a dash more salt if desired and enjoy!

I love Thai food and this was a delicious healthy version.

You could add some chicken(not raw of course) if you liked.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: