TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Daily Poll

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Daily Poll users admin

The Daily Poll is a fun way to get to know your fellow posters! Anyone can post a new DAILY question. Only one per day please, so please be sure to check if a question has already been posted for that day. Make your question stand out by using formatting. Example \b{\red{Your question here}}. Thanks and have fun!

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
ARCHIVESDenecee2400 97 06-16-21  1:35 pm
Archive through July 12, 2021Mameblanche25 07-12-21  10:20 am
Archive through October 20, 2021Jimmer25 10-20-21  12:22 pm
Archive through November 25, 2021Mameblanche25 11-25-21  10:48 am
Archive through December 03, 2021Texasdeb25 12-03-21  9:14 pm
Archive through April 21, 2022Mameblanche25 04-21-22  6:17 am
Archive through May 24, 2022Tntitanfan25 05-24-22  9:04 am
Archive through September 05, 2022Dogdoc25 09-05-22  10:07 am
Archive through October 13, 2022Dipo25 10-13-22  6:41 pm
Archive through November 01, 2022Mameblanche25 11-01-22  5:08 pm
Archive through July 10, 2023Teachmichigan25 07-10-23  7:42 pm
Archive through December 01, 2023Tntitanfan25 12-01-23  4:13 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Speaking of sheets…..we have bamboo sheets for most of the year because of the heat here and flannel sheets for what typically passes as late fall and winter here. No idea how either would smell if line dried outside as before all I’ve ever had were cotton sheets.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I still use a clothesline in the warm months.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 03, 2023 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
While I don't have a clothesline, I have 2 drying racks where I dry all my clothes & towels. If it's even remotely nice outside, I put them out. If it's too cold for them to dry completely or it's raining, I hang them in front of the pellet stove.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Do you have a landline/VOIP phone in your home or rely on just a cell phone? In our case we have both. Really very rarely use the landline but it is part of our Internet service at no extra cost. Having a landline for us also goes back to the days that our jobs with the government required we have one. Way, way back there was no such thing as a cell phone and even when they first came out the government was “suspicious” of them and didn’t want government business conducted over a cell phone. Today they don’t care and Mrs Mack actually has a government issued cell phone for official business.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have both. The landline is bundled with my cable tv and internet service, so I just keep it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have both also. Where I live cell phone service can be a bit unreliable, I have to use wifi calling for it to work at all. So I like having a backup.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I have both. It's bundled with my internet service. I don't use it much but there are a few people who still call me on that number out of habit.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I have both. I tried to cancel the landline and my cable bill (w internet) would have gone up! So I keep the landline and just turn the ringer off. It's nice to have for outgoing calls I'll admit.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am confused, aren't landlines that are combined with cable a VOIP line (using internet to work) and not a landline?

I consider a landline one that will still work even if the internet and cable go out.

I had an actual landline (not connected by cable or internet provider) when I moved here, it was AT&T, but the lines are old in this building and the connector wouldn't stay connected. So I got a separate cell phone (5G) that I treat as my landline. It doesn't leave my house except to go up to the laundry room to start the machines, LOL.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
The Exorcist for the scary movie question. I don't like seeing commercials. Growing up, we always had clotheslines. I had a portable type one here for a long time. It kind of fell apart. I have an Obi phone for my landline, which is a Google phone. I try to give out my cell phone the most.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, February 23, 2024 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Same as Dipo said:

quote:

I am confused, aren't landlines that are combined with cable a VOIP line (using internet to work) and not a landline?

I consider a landline one that will still work even if the internet and cable go out.

Pretty much nobody still has a phone that will work if the power goes out, and the cell phone towers are down because of the power outage.

Are we not ALL going to be totally without communication if, god forbid, a hostile agent manages to take down our power grid? For most of my life our home phones would still work in a power outage, but they will not work now because our supposed landline is VOIP, meaning requires internet connection, meaning requires power supply

<heads off to help Dipo refill those water bottles>

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 1:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have VOIP with my cable and use it foe outgoing calls and most incoming calls. My cell I use mostly on WiFi if I am home and mostly use it for texting, Instagram, camera, some calls, E tickets to events. Have fitbit app, but mostly use that on tablet, same with email, browser, etc.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I should have said our landline is actually VOIP and indeed when the power goes out it doesn’t work. We use AT&T for our Internet and when they installed it they didn’t us a choice and switched us to VOIP. During the big almost week long statewide power outage here in Texas a few years ago surprisingly our cell phones kept working. Apparently the cell towers are considered a critical priority so like hospitals, fire stations, police stations, and other critical infrastructure. The power company had enough power to keep those up and running. Yes most hospitals have emergency generators but they didn’t have to use them. If you were lucky enough to live near one of those critical facilities you still had power because you were part of that section of the grid. We weren’t that lucky.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, the "landline" is voice over IP. We all need our cell phones for when the power is out and our landlines don't work. LOL

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I think very few people have landlines that aren't connected via the internet.

That said, my *wired* internet connected landline is more reliable and consistent than my airwaves connected cell phone, if that makes sense.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Where my sister-in-law and husband live AT&T actually stopped providing landline phone service. AT&T still has the lines but switched everybody over VOIP along with DSL Internet. In-laws have cable based Internet and could have VOIP with that service but rely totally on cell phones. Son here in San Antonio relies strictly on his cell phone and Google Fiber for his Internet service.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I only asked because I did have an actual landline for quite a while and I only got rid of it here because the connection wouldn't work.

AND yes it did work when the power went out, that was why I kept it.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I still have an old fashioned landline through our local phone company. I have “internet for life” WiFi priced through the landline at $50 a month. I often think of just going all cellular, but then don’t want to go through the hassle of making the change.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have for MANY years been blessed with living in "critical power" areas. One was in the same grid with a city councilman! The later one was next door to a rehab center, but we also had a generator in the building for one elevator and public area lights! We have recently had a generator installed here! I don't know exactly what it supports,, but probably one elevator and public area lights.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, February 24, 2024 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Where is Landileigh when we need her?

She would definitely know the answer to this one.

One of the answers above, or a combination thereof is right, but I just don't know what is the right one.

How about we go with the most recent DOB? That is NOT me.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 25, 2024 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Juju, you know Landileigh passed away this past year? :-( January 2023.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, February 25, 2024 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yes, I do know, although I didn't realize it had been that recent. But thanks, just in case I didn't know. I am still mourning our loss of both Landileigh AND JMM. Hell, I am still mourning our loss of Twinkie and her Mom's danged old mink coat.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 26, 2024 - 2:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And Whoami...

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, February 26, 2024 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, I had to get up and go get a tissue, because, yes, I am still mourning Whoami. And now I am wondering if perhaps Whoami might have been an early Covid death, like from the time before they even knew the coronavirus existed, except as some anomalous event in China.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, March 27, 2024 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
On April 8, a total solar eclipse will be seen across parts of Mexico, USA, and Canada.
1. Are you located in the path of totality?
2. Have you ever seen a total solar eclipse?

The path of totality map can be seen at this link: science.nasa.gov

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, March 27, 2024 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Be sure to see it if you can. We had one come through our WA town a few years back, and it was thrilling.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, March 28, 2024 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I am in the path and am excited to see it! Our little town and surrounding little towns are expecting a big influx of people for the event. Accommodations are full and it will be a big party, even if it rains.

I was alive for the last total solar eclipse in Maine which was in 1963. I remember the rectangular piece of smoke-colored glass for viewing. The sad thing is that I don't remember actually seeing the eclipse though I must have. That special glass fascinated me, lol!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: