TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 01, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Daily Poll: Archive through December 01, 2023 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, July 10, 2023 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We are currently on week two of a two week cruise to Alaska. This might be about our 10-12th Alaska cruise, as it is so easy to do from where we live, between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.

Mack's question made me go count how many countries we have been to, and I kind of surprised myself as I went past 50 and was not to the end of the alphabet. Final count was 65 countries. Holy carp! We have also been to all 7 continents, although we did not go to Antarctica with that intent. Some people on that trip were there specifically to round out their 7 continents, and it had never even crossed my mind.

We still have not been to Singapore. I do still need to get there for reasons I cannot quite explain. And that will likely entail adding several more countries to our total. I swear I did not set out to achieve any records. It just sort of happened as Mack said. If you go on cruises, you can get to a lot of countries with ease these days.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 1:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Lived first three years in Chicago, then within two mile radius of 'burb where I am now. Four years of HS Spanish, three of the four years with the best teacher in my life started my travels -- Mexico, Spain, Portugal, England, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, northern Italy, Bahamas, Canada. In the U.S. -- Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Florida, Washington, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas.

Missed this unexpected trip to the Gaza Strip by exactly one week.

Link

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 2:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey - I was born in the District of Columbia. Haven’t met many of us.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 3:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I live in Pennsylvania.

I have vacationed in Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, and Brazil.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
As a Canadian, I was born in Montreal, Quebec, and moved to Toronto, Ontario, in my mid-twenties. I've visited Boston often as that's where my Dad lived. Also been several times to NYC and Las Vegas. Florida 2x.

As a teen I bought a Greyhound Ameripass for $75.00 and was able to go anywhere in North America for about a month. I did this at 18 and the following year at 19, although the price went up. As a result: Been twice to Los Angeles, and one day in San Francisco. Spent 1 night in Houston Texas due to tummy troubles. While the trip meant stopping in various cities and towns across the States I don't count that. For instance spent a couple of hours in Chicago waiting for my next bus connection on my way to L.A. Had I took the time to explore Chicago, I would count it.

Around that time I stayed with extended relatives in New Jersey for a couple of days.

Vinnie and I visited his snowbird parents in Nuovo Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in 2005.

And in 2007, we went on An Alaskan Cruise. Stayed with my cousin in Vancouver a couple of days before and after the Cruise and met up with Juju & Bigdog, MizinVancouver and Vancouver Girl who was an adorable baby at the time, and a couple others. On the cruise we visited a few places in Alaska wherever the ship docked.

Planning to go to Boston and Los Angeles and San Diego, around August/September to hopefully meet some more Clubhouse pals. 🙏 😃

Over the next year, I'd like to try some theme cruises (so I should feel less lonely travelling solo) like The Broadway Cruise, and The TCM Turner Classic Movies Cruise.

When I find the courage and hopefully a pal to travel with, I'd like to go overseas to Europe.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Juju Singapore is high on my wish list too. I'd like to do a trip to Singapore and Hong Kong (I want to go to Disneyland in Hong Kong). I'm hoping things will calm down in Hong Kong so it will feel like a safe destination to travel to.

Yes, Cruises are a great way to sample a lot of destinations. It's how I knew I wanted to go back to Roatan Honduras and spend more time. My only complaint of cruises are sea days (boring to me) and I do miss actually staying in a destination and eating the food of that destination, also seeing places at night.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I was born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama and have lived here or near here all my life. When I was about 3, my family started going to Panama City, Florida (or near it) every year. When I got a little older we started going twice a year. Also made the occasional trip to Opryland in Nashville, TN. Me and my former and late husband and our kids made the trip down to Lake Worth, Fla.(near Palm Springs) took a day cruise from there to the Bahamas. That is about the extent of my traveling. Other than short drives in Mississippi and Georgia. I also went to South Carolina as a baby.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl631 - My wife and I had a place in Harvest, AL when she worked for the Army Corps of Engineers. We were married in a hilltop chapel in Huntsville.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My oldest brother and his wife live in Harvest now. They lived in Weaver, AL for years. My middle brother has lived in San Francisco since he was about 20. He's flown all over for his job. My youngest brother and his wife have lived in Huntsville all their lives. My sister and her family live in the old family home in Huntsville.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
i have spent time in all 50 states. I have traveled Europe from Scandanavia to the Iberian peninsuly and all countries in between. That was on a tour. The friend I was traveling with and I rented a car and chauffer after that tour and had a personal tour of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. I have thorroughly covered the Carribean and the countries of Central America. I have visitedBrazil on a two week river cruise. I have been to Australia and New Zealand and, of course various parts of Canada.

I was able to do a lot of my US travel with Road Scholar. Also I had a 21 foot motorhome that I drove to the west coat and the the coast from San Diego to Seattle as well as lots of the western USA

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I've been to England, Wales, Scotland, France, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Italy, USA, Canada, Australia. And Malaysia and Singapore if you count layovers, which you probably shouldn't. Might be one or two more I don't remember right now.

US I've been to CA, OR, WA, ID, AZ, I'm pretty sure NM on a driving trip, Minnesota (MN?), FL, PA, MA and my boyfriend's aunt and uncle had a beach house in a state at the coast near Boston, but I can't remember whether it was north (RI) or south (CT).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2023 - 12:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mack, wow.. other than probably some kids I knew before I turned 4 and we moved, I just knew my brother who was born in the same hospital (which was called Columbia General Women's ( or Women's General) Hospital at that time. My mom was even put in the same room after both births.

When we lived in Detroit, whenever we crossed the bridge or took the tunnel to Windsor, Ontario (which is where Y2Krazy lives now) they would ask each person in the car where they were born as in city and state and one grandmother would say "Dekalb County, Illinois" with no city and my brother and I got to say Washington, DC, not a state. At the time we were born my dad worked for the GAO, and we lived in Virginia and Maryland. Anyway, yes, it seems to be a rare place to be born, especially out here on the west coast.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2023 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I was born in Garfield Memorial Hospital which was one of the first full hospitals in DC. It opened in 1886 so was pretty old by the time I was born there. My mother always said it was a dump back then. Dad was in the Army Air Corps and stationed at Bolling Army Air Base but back then the military didn’t provide maternity services to spouses or I would have been born at Walter Reed. Garfield was demolished decades ago and a housing project built on the land. Dad was transferred to Pope Air Force Base in North Carolina when I was still a baby so I have no memory of my time there.

Columbia Hospital for Women was even older than Garfield and remained an operating hospital until 2002 when it closed. The building still exists but has been converted to condos. A number of well known people were born at Columbia.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2023 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I could have been born in the Virgin Islands, as my dad was offered a position of controller there but at the time there wasn't any care for a birthing mom if anything went wrong except a flight out and my parents were not willing to take that chance since they were having first child at 31. I think for my mom it was a handy excuse as well.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, July 13, 2023 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Vanderbilt Hospital - they do better in medicine than footfal!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, October 31, 2023 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
New Question!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

When you were a kid, was there a scary movie you saw that scared you silly and left an imprint on you?

Mine was The Blob. I still remember that old man poking his stick at the Blob and it climbing up the stick, engulfing him. And how it could ooze itself under doorways.

We had woods behind our house and my siblings and I would cut through them sometimes as a short cut. It took me a long time to be able to walk and not run through them.

Plus, I had to deal with passing by the man-eating car that someone had abandoned in there.

Life was not easy for a six year.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, October 31, 2023 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The Blob was a pretty fun movie. I remember the scene with the old man and the stick. I can see how that could scare a kid.

The first one for me and my friends was Carrie. We had a good laugh over our reaction to the very last scene. Let’s just say it caught us off guard.

Very sad and messed up movie with what happened to her and what she did in response. That actually bothered me for awhile.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, November 06, 2023 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Poltergeist! That scary priest guy!

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Of those who can…not living in an apartment or condo….still use a clothesline?

Funny thing to ask or poll considering most of us are entering winter but my wife and I had a discussion particularly about the smell of sheets dried outside in the sun. My wife used a clothesline in Alabama when we got married and I last used one in El Paso, Texas 40+ years ago. Since we got married and established our first place in Virginia and now Texas we’ve not had a clothesline. In Virginia we were in a townhouse with really no room in what passed for a backyard. Here in San Antonio our HOA has restrictions and while we have plenty of space the restrictions make it very unhandy.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
The first thing I did when I bought my house was install a clothesline. There was already a hole in the ground in the patio so I purchased the umbrella style and dropped it in. Even when it's in the low 60's and cloudy, I put items out there to dry as much as possible before bringing them inside to finish. I'm now looking into the retractable kind with multiple lines.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I suppose I could find space but the squirrels would be all over it, and the neighbors behind me use a barbecue a lot, so that would not be pleasant.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We’re in a condo so we aren’t supposed to put up clotheslines but we occasionally drape some things that need freshening over our patio furniture.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Too many birdies.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Against our condo HOA rules. I do hand wash and in my back bedroom there is a ceiling fan that is a great place to hang items on hangers after they aren't drippy.. First they hang in the shower after I wring out what I can.

In Detroit mom had clothes lines outside and in our large basement. Even when she got a dryer, she likes hanging sheets (but back then we also ironed them). Outside if possible, inside in winter.

In California we rented at first and there was a clothesline. But I think the HOA in the new home they bought in 1961 had rules against anything that was perceived as hurting the views of people up the hill. After all the ocean and bay views were the draw.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Haven't had one since I sold my house 15= years ago, but there is truly nothing like the smell of sun- and wind-dried sheets! Send you right off to a magical dreamland -