TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 06, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Passings: Archive through December 06, 2023 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, November 20, 2023 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I remember Carter’s presidency. He was humble, but strong. Yet, I thought his humility was misinterpreted as weakness and inability to govern. It didn’t help that the Iranians captured Americans or the economy tanked. As time passed, I think some people came to appreciate his presidency. He made mistakes like all presidents, but overall he was no worse than some others. He has since lived an honorable life.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NBC News
@NBCNews
·
52m
Pablo "Yoruba" Guzmán, one of the founders of the Young Lords Party and a veteran New York City reporter, has died at age 73.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
CBS News
@CBSNews
·
1h
Amy Lynn Carter, daughter of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter, shares a letter Jimmy sent to Rosalynn 75 years ago, while serving in the Navy.

"Every time I have ever been away from you, I have been thrilled when I returned to discover just how wonderful you are," Jimmy wrote.

CBS News
@CBSNews
·
2h
James Earl "Chip" Carter III honored his mom, Rosalynn Carter, during a tribute service in Atlanta: "My mother was the glue that held our family together through the ups and downs, and thicks and thins of our family's politics."

Watch his full eulogy. https://cbsn.ws/49ZGoUQ

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk
·
8m
Investing guru Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett's longtime business partner at Berkshire Hathaway, has died at age 99 https://cnn.it/40YmR32

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The Associated Press
@AP
·
1m
'Mr. Big Stuff' singer Jean Knight dies at 80

Jean Knight, a New Orleans-born soul singer known for her 1971 hit “Mr. Big Stuff,” has died at 80.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I watched almost all of Rosalynn Carter's service and it certainly was moving.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
While I didn’t see the entire service, Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks singing Imagine was very emotional. Garth singing backup to let his wife shine, even though he’s the bigger star. You could hardly hear him sing. Touching. I guess Trisha was a friend of Mrs. Carter. After they were done, she went over and placed her hand on the casket. I totally related to that simple gesture. I did that with both my mom and my dad’s funerals. Something about the touch of the casket felt like a final goodbye to both my parents. It was something that felt necessary to me, that last connection.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes that was sweet, the way Garth mostly just played backup for Trisha.

I loved the way one of the sons thanked each woman in the front row (Kamala Harris, Dr Jill Biden, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, Melania Trump, and the gentlemen who accompanied them) got a good laugh..

Amy Carter had me in tears, reading a long ago letter from Jimmy to Rosalynn

THe songs.. two were songs on the repertoire for the group I meet with on zoom, so I think next time we zoom I will choose Morning Has Broken and Let there be Peace on Earth (and let it begin with me) as a tribute..

I never knew how many mountains she climbed!! And that she learned to ski at 65 and skiied for the next 20 years.

At the end when the pastor warned the entire audience to not make a move until it was their time because if they moved too soon, there were a whole bunch of secret service agents guarding all those first ladies who would become very nervous.. they all obeyed..

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I thought Jason Carter was really impressive. I can understand why he’s the head of the Carter Center.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes! He was impressive..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Honestly, I thought Imagine was an odd song choice to commemorate the death of someone who was so spiritual. It's often thought of as an ode to atheism.

Trisha did a lovely job with it, perhaps it was requested.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
KCAL News
@kcalnews
·
45m
Longest living Rose Queen Margaret Huntley Main dies at 102

Two years ago, on her 100th birthday, Bob Miller, the 2022 Tournament of Roses president, surprised Main with 100 roses, a birthday cake, and her 1940 crown, which was borrowed from the archives for her to wear during a Zoom birthday party.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I would imagine that Imagine was a favorite song and Trisha knew that?

But it definitely is probably an interesting choice..

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I assumed that it was probably requested.

While I understand what you are saying, I’ve always thought of Imagine hoping for a world without hate and conflict, where everyone got along. So, its meaning can be interpreted at multiple ways.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, "no heaven" and "no religion" would be incompatible with her Christian views. that's why it is often used by humanists/atheists as a theme song. Not typically by Christians.

That said, living all in peace is something she would have hoped for.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 28, 2023 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I did hear on the news that the song was a request.. maybe they think ideally no formal religion would be required?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 29, 2023 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
BREAKING NEWS: Frances Sternhagen, a veteran screen performer known for her work in films like "Misery" and as Bunny in the HBO series "Sex and the City," has died. 💔 abc7.la/413CM…

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 29, 2023 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Henry Kissinger dead at 100. No additional comment.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 29, 2023 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk
·
2h
Henry Kissinger, one of the most influential and controversial foreign policy figures in American history, has died. He was 100. https://cnn.com/2023/11/29/politics/henry-kissinger-dead/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Former Supreme Court justice Sandra Day O'Connor at 93, from advanced Alzheimer's and respiratory issues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Day_O%27Connor

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Although I personally like the song, I agree that Imagine was a bit of an odd choice with that one particular verse.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 05, 2023 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NBC News
@NBCNews
·
39m
Denny Laine, the British musician who founded The Moody Blues and Wings with Paul McCartney, has died at age 79, his wife says.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, December 06, 2023 - 5:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Norman Lear has died. He was 101.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Wednesday, December 06, 2023 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Truly a wonderful man!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, December 06, 2023 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-( All in the Family, Maude, and The Jefferson's, etc, were truly groundbreaking TV.