TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 02, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Right now: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 02, 2023 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
When I texted my mom about how I will be getting free phone service, all she said "It's probably a hoax. It sounds too good to be true". LOL

I'm glad she's on guard for hoaxes, but it's really hard for her to believe. Back in the day when she needed a little help, this kind of stuff wasn't available.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
My niece uses tracfone and hasn’t had any issues.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have used Tracfone for ages. Still do.. Happy with it.

There are hoaxes where people go door to door and claim to have free phones and most of the people wouldn't qualify.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Personally I hate waste and used to get all sorts of food pushed at me when driving patients, especially in the beginning when I was working to lose 50 pounds. Luckily I could say that we were not allowed to take gifts or money.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yay for MsSonic!! 5 months is excellent.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN Oh yes, I've had Tracfone for ages, but now I will be getting it for free until my income increases a bit. I qualify for $30 a month which is unlimited text and call, plus 5 gig data, per month.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
What is a tracphone?

And why are we calling the nice, normal tenant Ms. Sonic? (Yay for 5 months tho!)

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN www.tracfone.com is a cheap mobile phone service with no contracts. Until my free service kicks in, I'm on an annual plan that's something like $100 bucks a year. But I keep having to refill my texts (1000 for $5) now that I have to text so much with my dogs clients. I won't have to refill anymore.

That free phone service isn't just for tracfone. You can have any company you want, but you don't get as much as with tracfone.

And Ms. Sonic is my new tenant who moved up here from Texas to help open several new Sonic drive ins and be the area manager of several stores. She moved ahead of her family and is going to live here until she finds a house to buy in the area.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have had Tracfone as my mobile phone carrier for 5-7 years and just love it. I have been receiving messages from them the past week telling me to check to see if I qualify to receive free service. I am sure I would not qualify, so I haven't looked into it further. I am under the impression it is one of the wonderful things Joe get Things Done Biden might have included in his Inflation Reduction Act to help Americans have better lives. I am sure it is NOT a scam.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ok. Thx.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 11:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got a text about free service but I don't think I qualify either.

Tracfone was bought by Verizon, but they are still honoring the deal when I bought my first smartphone from HSN.. one of my patients told me of the deal which included triple minutes, triple texts and triple downloads for life as well as all balances carrying over. I just add $99 a year and have never run out. I had already had Tracfone before that with flip phones. Those went back to one of our tvch trips when I didn't really know how to text (which isn't friendly on an old flip phone) and spygirl texted me and I was able to read it .. so it has been a long time and I have been happy.

Oh, just read what Naja said about refilling texts. I have texted more and more the last couple of years but never ran out, probably because of the triple texts.

They do have contracts, I think, if you want a higher end phone, like a newer iphone.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 30, 2023 - 11:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mame, Sugar gave the new renter her new name of MsSonic..

Naja, nice to get the free service!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
a little history!

the Lifeline access to free phone service for low income residents was enacted in 1984 (Reagan). At that time, it applied to landlines. Internet access was added in the Telecommunications Act of 1996. It was expanded in 2005 (Bush) to cover cell phones. It wasn't largely promoted until 2008, at that time, there were many ads for the "free Obama cell phone."

Trump severely curtailed the program in 2019.

However, the phones are paid for by fees tacked onto phone bills by the rest of us (the USF item on your phone bill). And I am all for it. When I volunteered at the Salvation Army, we had one day a month when a phone rep would come into our office and the folks we helped could come in and fill out the paperwork to get their phone and service.

That's also why I know so much about this program, because so many folks would attack us for giving out "Obama phones." And so I had to educate them on the truth.

The truth is, the Obama admin approved the expansion of the program.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN When I signed up for the free service, they asked if I needed a phone or wanted it added to my existing phone. So I just added it to my existing phone.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thx Naj, Juju, and Sea.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
One of my patients got an Obama phone but it was this tiny thing that he couldn't use since extensive chemotherapy had badly affected his eyesight and his right arm and shoulder had been removed because his melanoma went there. I have no idea of the carrier, but it seems the program has evolved into something more helpful, so that is good.

Yes, adding to existing phone is definitely the best.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Has Mr. H said anything about when he will be retrieving Aurora?

Does your area have a significant Hispanic community such that your new renter can find s church home, etc.? How large a family does she have, are schools a consideration - inquiring minds want to know! Also nosy people!

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN Mr. H picks up his dog early tomorrow morning.

MsSonic only has a 19 year old at home. The rest of her kids are grown and out of the house. And my area is pretty much mixed. Something for everyone.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, December 01, 2023 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Have your makeup done by pickup time, Naja (just kidding, we all know you will). Well, probably he won't even be in the car. For sure he can't come by himself, and even getting in and out of a car two days after knee replacement is a huge obstacle. But if you find out he IS in the car, be sure to personally take Aurora to the car, because that is just what superior pet sitters do.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 3:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN He'll be by himself, but he asked if I bring Aurora to the car for him. He lives an hour north of here but the hospital and his friends' house is right by me.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I don't have a balcony in my condo suite, but I'm sure it's not allowed for those who do have a balcony.

My mom used to have a line on the balcony of our apartment unit when I was a little kid.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN OH my goodness. I just got a request to watch a 135 LB akita inu. I had to look it up. The guy said he's old though and just sits around. Just for one night.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Ihave a friend who has one. He is very sweet tempered and laid back, but he is a big dog so on the clumsy side! Your bed is going to be VERY crowded!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Definitely will need pictures of the Akita!!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, December 02, 2023 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Wait, Naja!!! Did Mr. H come get Aurora this morning and drove himself???? I mean, I had a remarkable recovery from knee surgery, but driving the car within 2-3 days of surgery would never have occurred to me.