TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 25, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: Archive through July 25, 2023 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My whole wifi / network is now set to 5g. TiVo wifi still is set to 0g so is not connecting to network. Don't know how to change it to 5g. But you say older TiVo won't work on 5g? Do know anything that will make it work? Have to go back to 0g or get new TiVo which I don't want to do. This box still works, has for 11 years. It's just the connection problem now.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I've never heard of 0g.

If your router or modem/router combo has 5g a/n/ac, the maybe it also still has the old 2.4 ghz b/g/n for your TiVo.

Go into your router's wireless settings and see. I put arrows next to the 2 types, and have them both enabled. I have to keep both running because my security cams don't do 5g.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Naja, that is what I was saying. My tivo only works on the old wifi not on the 5g.

Colordeagua, you change this on your TIVO in Network connection Click on change nework settings.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I was on with AppleCare a few times today. Problem is with my network / wifi. I don't understand it. This is what she said --

"Mary, Here are the options that we discussed in regards to your Aiport router and trying to fix the 2.4g 1. Airport utility on the computer showed “DOUBLE NAT” which means that there is another router in the home that is able to push out a wifi signal which can cause interference - I recommend to call your internet provider AT&T to turn off the router/wifi function of your internet box. Then try to switch to the 2.4g on your computer or other devices. If it does not work, here are the other 2 options 2. You can only use the 5ghz on the apple router 3. Since the apple router is discontinued and no longer being sold or serviced, would need to purchase a new router from best buy, amazon, internet company to be able to use 2.4gh and 5ghz. Thank you, Jessica Apple support"

I'm getting some help from two guys in a FB TiVo group. I don't understand it all. I use a TiVo adapter with my box. Problem may be more specially with that and connection. I am losing backdrop info due to not have download from TiVo for app a week. Wish I could still get TiVo phone support, but no more on a box ten + years old.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Add this --

Naja, I say 0g but mean 2.4g, just not 5g. I'm totally lost.

My router is an old Apple AirPort Extreme router I bought in May '10. Apple hasn't made them for a while.

Recommendations on a new TiVo? Or what?

Slept very little last night. Haven't eat anything today. Tech stuff that I don't understand scares me.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Life is good again. Got a senior (sounded senior senior) AppleCare advisor on phone this morning. I said had been working for years on 2.4g with no problems even if slow. Switched to 5g and my TiVo does not like it. So this advisor, doing a remote, just had me DELETE the 5g. It's gone. I'm on 2.4 again. Everything is working . . . INCLUDING TIVO!!

Christy, I have to work on either 2.4g or 5g. Can't simply switch back and forth. Yes, seems older TiVos work only on slow network.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I feel like I have to explain my post better. If you have a router or router/modem, they can come in something called "dual band". Which means they broadcast both 2.4GHZ and 5G connections at the same time. There is no switching. When you first connect a device, you choose which connection you want and it stays that way.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm learning slowly, very slowly. One of AppleCare advisors said something like that yesterday with regards to router and router within modem? Said to contact my ISP where modem came from. That scares me. Contact ATT. UGH. Actually ATT tech may not be so bad, but ATT customer service is a nightmare. There's a FB group re ATT customer service --

Link

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It's apparent you have a separate modem and router, and not an all in one. Which is good.

You can cheaply upgrade to a newer router and your answers will be easier.

May I suggest a Netgear? You can't go wrong.

I actually got this exact expensive model Netgear Nighthawk ($189) for only $24 refurbished on eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B08DTF7KGC/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Colordeagua, you might check with your local Senior Center, Library or town to see if they offer training on the internet and stuff. Our town has a class and sometimes the Seniors give assistance at the library.

Kind of Geek Squad like situation where they will walk you through things and answer all the questions you come up with. A lot of seniors go to the library to learn how to use thier phones and the high school seniors meet their community service requirements

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have mostly Apple products. I like them. And then can call AppleCare. I do. Not much really, but I do. My router is an old Apple router. Apple hasn't made them for a while. For now I'm good to go with what I have. My TiVo downloaded all the data, updates. Aaaaah.

Naja, I will look into that router.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, May 11, 2023 - 4:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I have to second Naja’s recommendation. I upgraded my router to a Netgear Nighthawk a few months ago and without doubt the best I have ever had. I didn’t get quite the bargain Naja did but I did get it on sale from BestBuy.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 11, 2023 - 5:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Found one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175711901907

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 24, 2023 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: when I use the laundry app on my phone do I have to turn on the camera first, to get the scan feature to work?

I don't really use my camera so it occured to me maybe that was the problem.

Thanks.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, May 24, 2023 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m not sure what a laundry app does or how it works but in general any app that scans uses the camera and you have to give apps permission to use the camera.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 24, 2023 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hmmm, I guess I will go and look at the permissions. But does the camera have to be turned on?

The laundry app starts the washer or dryer and then charges me. It also tells me how many washer/dryers are available and then tracks the time on my load.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 24, 2023 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I managed to find the place for permissions and I did give the app permissions so I will just use the washer or dryer number. Maybe next time the scanner will work, LOL.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, May 25, 2023 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sounds promising.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, July 22, 2023 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
What could be causing my computer screen to randomly be going black? And how can I get it to stop? I've been on the computer and a couple of times the light goes out and the screen goes black? It's an Acer Chromebook if that makes any difference.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 22, 2023 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
After it goes black, how do you get it come back?

For me it seems half the time I get a windows update, they put my settings back to having it go to sleep after a few minutes. My normal setting is for it never to go to sleep and I keep having to set the setting back to never sleep.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 22, 2023 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'm sorry, I meant the setting that turns the screen off.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 12:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Of course, Google "Acer Chromebook screen randomly going black", but I wonder if it might be dust in the fan? Sometimes that will shut a laptop down. Do you have a hairdryer with a cool setting, and you can put it on air only and blow air through the vents on the under side of the laptop? I have fixed a few laptops with that technique.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I seem to have fixed it. The cord was not plugged in all the way. Duh! Btw,I would try to catch it before it turned completely off. Where the time at the bottom of the screen is, I can click on it. There's a sign for brightness, I try to keep it on bright. It also says battery full now.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My blow dryer only blows hot.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NEW Q: My Android RCA Tablet has decided not to turn on, no matter what troubleshooting I have done. Anyway, I am in the market for a new tablet. I DO NOT want an IPAD.

So.... I was thinking of getting a Lenovo Tablet M10 Plus (3rd Gen) but it is only 32GB.

I only use the tablet to play Solitaire, Candy Crush, Seekers Notes, a Mahjong game and a puzzle game.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am thinking I should get 64 GB but don't know if I really need it.

Any info would be appreciated.