TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 08, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: Archive through May 08, 2023 users admin

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, December 05, 2022 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I had to go to my gallery to see the first picture I ever took with this thing. I've had it since 2017/18.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, December 05, 2022 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Hmmm.... can't really help then. Sorry.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, December 05, 2022 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
That's ok. Thanks for trying. :-)

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, December 06, 2022 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I had to get an app to resize my pictures so I could post here. Not sure what apps are available for a Samsung tablet.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, December 15, 2022 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Not necessarily a computer problem, but I recently received an email from my internet provider (Nomad) saying they had become a Verizon Preferred Provider and that my old account would become a Legacy account that they would no longer service but that it should continue working. Lo and behold, two days after this move happened my router quit working (strange coincidence don't you think), and after some thought I went ahead and ordered their new equipment but now I wonder - do I have to have a Verizon plan to work with this new equipment (I have and am quite happy with AT&T), and will they automatically cancel my prior account or should I cancel it? I am waiting for the equipment to arrive to see what happens when I hook it up (I have 7 days to cancel).

If Starlink (which has been on order for almost a year) would just arrive I would kick Nomad to the curb. Darn it Elon!

Just a note - I live in an RV park with notoriously unreliable internet coverage (when the park is full it is almost unusable) and I work from home two days a week so this really is a priority for me.

Sorry about the rant.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, December 15, 2022 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Is your router separate from your modem? Or is it an all in one?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, December 16, 2022 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm basically technically illiterate so I'm not sure.

I got another email (addressed to all of us "Legacy" users) apologizing for their poor treatment and offering to reduce our monthly charge to the same level as their new program, but since I had already ordered new equipment I'm just going to wait and see...and whatever it is that brings in the internet to my house (my box with blue lights is what I call it) is still not working and only showing 1 blue light as opposed to the 4-5 it normally shows. Oh the joys of working from home two days a week!

Mungus

02-16-2012

Saturday, December 17, 2022 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mungus a private message Print Post    
roxip? I had never heard of NOMAD. I found their FAQ here seems to apply to your situation?

https://support.nomadinternet.com/kb/new-nomad-plans/i-am-a-nomad-legend-customer-can-i-keep-my-modem-and-use-the-new-plan

I don't know where your AT&T cellular plan fits into this.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, December 17, 2022 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Hi friends of TVCH.

We will be receiving a new Mac desktop computer. I will need to clear out the contents of our old Mac which I've never done before. I did google the "how to" and wow, what I found seems to have many steps in order to clear the contents.

Do any of you know of an easy way to do this feat? I thank you in advance.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, December 17, 2022 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Turn off your Mac.

Start up holding the Command and R keys.

When the recovery window opens, select disk utility.

In the side window, select Macintosh HD.

Choose "erase". You may have a few options on how securely you want to erase. I tried the most secure but it was going to take too long, so I went with one that was faster.

This is what I did the last time I recycled one. I saved the instructions since I have a few more to donate.

Hope that helps!

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, December 17, 2022 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, thank you so much for this helpful information!!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, March 06, 2023 - 3:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I got a notice from Outlook that I will loose my e-mail service if I don't make more space.

I am on msn.com

My 'Sent' mail says I have over 7000 items there.

Can I got the folder and hit "delete all" or would that be too much for the computer to do.

I also have the option of buying more space.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 06, 2023 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
If you don't need the sent Emails, you can delete them all. I prefer to delete about 100 at a time.

You can select them by sorting in reverse order (oldest at the top), click on the top one, and then scroll down to a date you would find acceptable, then hold the shift Key and click on that one. Then delete all those.

You can always delete more later.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, March 06, 2023 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you so much Karuuna.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 06, 2023 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I agree with Kar’s approach. You don’t want to tie up your computer with just deleting items. Get rid of the oldest first.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, March 06, 2023 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you too, Kookliebird.

I have been busy deleting.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, May 01, 2023 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I just turned on my computer for the first times in months. It might have been updated with Windows 11 or not. I can't remember.

Well, what happened to the start button that used to be in the bottom left corner? That's where I would find the programs I needed to use. And in alphabetical order!

There something called " my feed" there now. I don't want or need a feed. That's what TVCH is for. You guys are my feed.

What can I do to make it go back to normal? I need to find Excel.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 01, 2023 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Grooch. My computer guy moved the Start menu from the middle of the menu bar back to the left where it belongs. Not sure what the My Feed is you referenced.

When I got my new laptop I just called my computer man and he fixed all the things I didn't like and explained the rest of Windows 11 to me, LOL.

One thing I have to do now is open and extra window where I ask Google things like where is the freeze panes button on excel, etc.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, May 01, 2023 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
That's a good idea, Dipo, I'll Google it.

Thanks.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 01, 2023 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Right click on your task bar and click settings. Everything you want is right there to set the bar how you like it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, May 01, 2023 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Very helpful. :-)

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 01, 2023 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I had mess of tech problems yesterday. Started with something in my network acting weird. Don't understand network stuff. I'm all Apple except for three Echo things, an old Fire tablet, and a Kindle. TG for AppleCare.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 01, 2023 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I got a new (old/used) laptop with Windows 11 about a month ago, started to set it up, then got busy, hoping to get back to setting it up one of these days.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I got tech problem. I have had an OTA TiVo Premiere XL box for 11 years almost to the day. NO problems. About a week ago had to change my network from 0GHz to 5GHz. Worked with AppleCare on that. Had to change network on various tech devices. TiVo is not connecting due to network change. I don't know how to change it. There's a Settings section, but can't figure it out. Mostly getting too technical for me. Talking to peoples online, made some calls, etc., etc. Not making progress so far. TiVo works fine -- just the connection. Not getting program info, updates it will need.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Monday, May 08, 2023 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Colordeagua, In my wifi connections list, I have my old wifi and the same name new wifi5g. My old tivo only works on the old wifi name. This is in your Settings, Network connection menu. Change network settings.