TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 18, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Right now: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 18, 2023 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 10, 2023 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
RN, so sorry for your Mom's femur fracture. It looks awful, but in the days of the parents of the now 70+ people, that fracture probably would have been fatal. Nowadays they can stitch us back together, and we can persevere.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 11, 2023 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN So far I have been here at the DMV for 4 hours! My legs are aching.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2023 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Naja, your poor mom! I hope it didn't mess with her hip replacement too. Um.. I don't see 77 as TOO old..

Anyway, I wish her a complete recovery..

As for the DMV.. I had to go this time and didn't have an appointment and while it was no fun, I was out after one station for paperwork, payment, eye test, then another for more paperwork, picture, then test on a computer, then more waiting until I got my temporary license. A couple of hours. And yesterday I got the new license in the mail.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 12, 2023 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN I ended up being there a total of 5 hours.

Seamonkey, that's how the one further from my house it. So fast. And all modern. You can go do whatever you want and they text you when it's getting close to your turn. The one close to my house still has us pulling a numbered ticket from a roll. They did away appointments some years ago. I wonder why?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 12, 2023 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
RN, Our DMV wants most every done online, at a kiosk or elsewhere and I would love to go to AutoClub, but I had to go in person this time, for eye test, thumbprint ( which didn't work half an hour later when I finished my test, so I had to enter other info anyway.

I could have done the test online too.. Maybe on zoom.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, April 14, 2023 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
The DMV has a mobile component that comes to town every year. Ours is her next week, I wonder if they will help me get new plates. Mine are peeling badly, hardly readable.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, April 16, 2023 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN Well, my advertisement to rent a room is up. We'll see what happens.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, April 16, 2023 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
RN We just finished and filed our Federal Income Taxes. Yes we had to pay more so that’s why we waited until close to the deadline. No state income tax in Texas so we’re good to go for another year.

RN Hoping Naja’s room rental does well.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, April 16, 2023 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Naja, don't be shy about asking about source of income and proof that they can pay.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, April 17, 2023 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
References to…. And check them.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, April 17, 2023 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
And get a security deposit!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 17, 2023 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN Only one bite so far. It's a 32 year old guy who has worked a year at the warehouse he is at and makes 3,000 a month. He's lived in a transitional sober house for that year and is ready to leave. I feel like I should at least give him a chance. We messaged yesterday. Today will be a phone call.

ETA: The rent is $800 a month with $400 deposit.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 17, 2023 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN Is it terrible that it makes me chuckle that the new guy who is mowing my lawn this summer is a Mexican immigrant, but his name is Alfredo?

He's so nice.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 17, 2023 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
RN per the internet Alfredo is a pretty popular name in Mexico. It is listed as the Spanish, Italian and Portuguese version of the Germanic Alfred.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 17, 2023 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Naja - guy described above - I would say no. Too much risk for YOU, a new widow with no experience in addiction rehabilitation to take on. Please don't say yes until you have reviewed other offers.

I would ask some of our former addict members to counsel you, but I am not sure we still have any.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 2:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm with Juju. You don't need his problems becoming your problems. I don't care how nice he sounds on the phone or in person. Addicts are manipulators to get what they want/need.

Does he have an ex wife or girlfriend? Does he have kids? These WILL be excuses/reasons if he takes up drugs/alcohol again. It will be a constant sob story.

If he is a drug addict and takes it up again, will he steal from you? If he's an alcoholic, will you be liable if he's drunk and falls down a flight of stairs?

If he uses/drinks again, and loses his job, how easy will it be to evict him if he loses his job?

My mother and aunt have rented rooms through the years to make ends meet and have had some great renters and some clunkers. Addicts (unless vouched for by a good friend that you trust) rarely work out.

Is there a hospital or a college near you? Put up ads there. At least with college students, they will leave after their term is done, and people who work at hospitals work long hours.

You just put the ad up, the right person will come.

And I would ask for a full months rent as a deposit. In case it takes a month to get rid of somebody. If they can't afford afford the deposit, then how will they afford the rent?

And that $3,000 a month, is that gross or net? And how much of that goes to child support? You don't want to hear the excuse that he can't pay the rent because he has to pay child support. That's not your problem.

Save yourself the aggravation, stand firm, and tell him the room is already taken.

I'm not trying to scare you off from renting to men. My mother and aunt preferred renting to men than women. You just don't need one with red flags when you're new to this.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN I agree. I'll keep searching. Plus, when he blessed me at the end of a message, I got the creeps.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
RN, I'm very worried about you taking on a renter without knowing them.

I have a friend who did this, and after a few months, the renter stopped paying rent. Now you are a landlord and have to file an eviction to someone living in your own house. It got very contentious. You know what ended up happening? The tenant accused HER of harassment, and she had to leave her own home!

Please, please look for someone perhaps your own age, and who is at least a friend of a friend.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
RN, this is why I suggested the Senior Connection. Our senior center screens the people that they recommend so you might try contacting the local senior center to see if they provide a roommate matching service.

Trust your gut.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I live in a house with nothing but stairs. A whole flight just to go in or go out or do laundry or watch tv or go upstairs to bed. It's just horrible for seniors.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well darn, that is a bummer, but some of these seniors in my apartment complex are young, LOL, like fifties, and some of the 90 year olds are more fit than I am -- depressing.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Naja, another category is vet techs. With them you know they are pet knowledgeable and you would have that in common.

Or with a student, look for someone with common interests, medical fields, veterinary, nursing, etc..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And lots of us seniors live with stairs, though that could be an issue.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey may be onto something here. Next time you go to the vet, tell the vet that you are renting a room and if he/she may know somebody. They would know if somebody in their office is looking for a place. Maybe ask the nurse at the doctors office. Nurses know all the gossip and they are usually no nonsense and hopefully wouldn't recommend a dud. And I would go to the hospital and see if they have a bulletin board where you can post it. If they do, word it the way other notices have it written. I've seen it at the hospital before and they say they are looking for someone in the medical field, etc, because they don't want random people from off the street replying.

I have to tell you, some of the tenants my mother liked the most came from the gas station down the street from us. It was owned by Turks, and the manger was a Turk. I think he must of asked a friend of my mother's if he knew of any places to rent for his employees. The friend gave him my mother's number or something like that. His employees were all from Turkey and they were young, single men. He told her that he would vouch for them and if there were any problems, he would take care of it. She accepted, and it worked out really well. She had about 3 of them at the same time. They all got along, they worked all day, or went to school, they even cooked for her. And since they were Muslim, they didn't drink.

I agree with Karunna, word of mouth is the best way to go.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 18, 2023 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
RN This next one seems better. He's got a scholarship in soccer that starts next month.