TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 14, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Gripe thread......MAJOR : Archive through July 14, 2022 users admin

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, March 04, 2021 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Ok. I don't want free stuff.
I don't think I was right to not pay.

I do think it is BAD BUSINESS to cut you off after 2 weeks. I designed the. Accounts payable system for Hertz re nt a plane. They gave people 3 months to pay for their planes.

I paid every one from a checking account my husband closed because he could not balance the checkbook once in the 70s and did not know about it until I heard from my brother in law because I bounced a check to a charity at his father's funeral. No one cut our credit. I had 4 cards back then.

Have we gotten so bad with money that we have to be cut off after 2 weeks? My ex went to Europe for work for 2 months, we were separated. He forgot about bills. No one cut off his credit while he was in Europe. He spent a lot, all charged.

I decided on a new card and applied. Done deal.

I am alive for another day, it is not the most important thing in my life.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, March 07, 2021 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have to add this because it is pretty funny. filling out application of new card, they won't take my e-mail because it ends in .net, they only accept ones ending in .com. If I give them one I need to forward messages because I only check one every day.
computer programmers imaginations are so limited now!!! How many people use verizon and have email verizon.net? got to be a lot.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
DH and I got heckled today by about a 65 year old woman when we were leaving Petco. Right outside the doors, we were walking out with packages and she was about to walk in. She started yelling at us about wearing a mask and to look up in the sky and that those airplane trails are more dangerous than covid. She listed a couple other things. She was nuts and loud. DH didn't say anything, but I said loudly "What a B word". I said the word though.

I really figured this was mostly memes or myth. Nope, people are doing it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I had a double whammy.. I failed to pay my Discover bill, which I always schedule ahead online so it is paid and I charge EVERYTHING so it can be thousands depending on what I've paid lately like property tax or several insurance bills..

So I'm at Ralph's and I had three gift cards and a minimal amount of groceries and it was denied.. Yikes.

I didn't have that much cash but I did have my checkbook with me so I wrote a check. I asked if they wanted id, and they said no. Then their software asked for id, which I provided. And THAT was denied! And no reason provided to me or to them. So embarrassing. The manager said maybe it was the gift cards, but I've bought them there with no problem. So we deducted those and tried the Discover and it paid.

(Oh and realize that I had over a thousand accrued in cashback, which would have covered the bill at Ralph's several times over).

So I went out to the car and called Discover and was told about the not paying thing. It was after hours for them so the payment wouldn't post until next day and card not usable until the day after, when I was going out for dinner.

I actually had gotten my California stiumulus check and had planned to go to the credit union next but I was just wanting to get home, where I paid the credit card. I used the cash back and it looked like that amount would post immediately. When I called Discover the csr really researched and asked up the chain but couldn't promise. So next day I took the check to the Credit Union and they said there was NO reason on their end that my check would be denied.

I just got $150 in cash so I could go buy the gift cards and pay for dinner.

I did finally see the receipt from Ralph's with the denials and there was a company in charge of denying the check and I called them and it turned out that the only reason the check was denied was that I had never written a check at that Ralph's. Been shopping there for 25 years and never needed to write a check. That seems wrong to me.

(I understand the Discover denial, but not the check denial)

Naja, I would probably react as you did, but we should be careful, some of those people get violent.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
(((Seamonkey))) Sounds like you had a confluence of bad coincidences, but I also think there is some sort of grocery store policy that makes sense that you cannot use a check to purchase gift cards.

Naja, you may or may not have been here at TVCH long enough to know my old adage: Never Engage a Crazy Person. A technique I sometimes use in my old age, since I may no longer win a physical fight, is to imagine that the offensive person has just turned into a large pile of animal feces, and then let your natural facial and body reactions take over to maneuver you safely around the pile. You don't have to actually SAY anything to the pile, as your facial and bodily reactions will say it all for you. You don't show fear, just revulsion. It can work.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
No it had nothing to do with what I was purchasing, according to people at this company, it was strictly because I had not written a check there. They said wall this denial would count as a check for the future. Not that I plan to need to use a check again, but it made no sense at all. But they didn't have any idea what I was buying, so it wasn't the gift cards, or the fruit or the probiotics..

And yes a perfect storm of coincidence.

And that I don't use the two other credit cards (or three?) that I have..

Oh well.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, January 07, 2022 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It didn't hit me until afterward how dangerous it is to engage these people. You never know which one has a gun.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, January 07, 2022 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Concerning masks, why can't people just accept that some choose to wear them? I was on a nature trail and had stopped to sit on a bench. A woman my age stopped as she passed me and commented that I didn't need to carry the mask that I held in my hand and I could just flash the "v" sign if I was vaccinated. Mind you I had the mask in case I decided to go inside the lodge at the end of the walk and I don't like the idea of putting it in my lint filled pocket. I thanked the woman and told her to have a nice walk but inside I was thinking 'what the frick has happened to us'?! I'm just walking in nature minding my own business, lol.

As for writing checks, that happened to me at Marshall's only the reaction of the cashier and the manager was not pleasant at all. I asked them to hang onto the 3 items for me while I went to the bank. I was panicked because my first thought was that someone had drained my account. The bank reassured me my account was fine and I immediately went back to Marshall's with cash. They're in the same location so I was able to get back there within 15 minutes. When I asked for the 3 items that I had asked to be set aside, the manager informed me that they had already been sold. Did I mention that he, the cashier and another employee all glared at me as if I was common thief trying to rob their store? That was 15 years ago and I have never stepped foot in a Marshall's again. I understand why they have their system but I will never forget how I was looked at.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 07, 2022 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ohh, the Ralph's checkout person and her manager were SO cool and calming.. They did everything right and we did get Discover to take the charge for the other items.

But my mind went to the same place, that somehow my accounts were hacked and drained and my Discover used. But I checked online and both were fine and talked to Discover.

If I had been treated like that I would not return. Would be harder since Ralph's is across the street. So is Albertsons but I prefer Ralph's by a large margin.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, January 07, 2022 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
The same thing happened to my mother over 10 years ago at a Kmart. And it was for the same reason. She had never written a check there before.

You'd think they would have improved on this system since then. They don't do the same thing when you use an atm card at a new place. What's the difference between the two?

Christy358

07-10-2007

Saturday, January 08, 2022 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Ok, so the check system has been around for a long time. It was Equifax and then I forget the other name, but they rely on a positive check history. If you do not have a history, then you can get denied. Also, any time you buy gift cards the rules are different.

However, with all the computer fraud systems out there, when a purchase is denied on a card, it is almost always a security hold. There is NO reason to in any way doubt the person making the purchased.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 09, 2022 - 1:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Of course there is, fraud, stolen credit card, no money in an account, no or overdue payment... That is why there are holds and stop transactions/payments associated with credit cards and banks and the like.
It can be a pain but almost everything is associated with a payment history of sorts.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 09, 2022 - 4:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The system had nothing to do with the credit bureaus, at least so they claimed. I told my checked at Ralph's today about the algorithm and she was surprised.

I think most people use something other than a check there.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 09, 2022 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Doesn't have to be associated with the credit bureaus. Could be the individual bank, credit card or the business. They will all have some sort of system/systems that check payments regardless of the method of payment. Those things often vary by dollar amount or may be part of a random check.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, January 09, 2022 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I rarely ever hand write checks anymore. I just use my debit card or set the payment up in my bank app. I only hand write checks for taxes.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 09, 2022 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, there is a name of the company. Just too lazy to attempt to find it right now.

I only write a check to my HOA. I pay taxes online and everything online or by credit card.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, January 09, 2022 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I have my HOA payment sent directly from my bank account. I just change the amount annually.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am so freaking pissed. Doordash delivered my aquarium supplies and dog supplies to the wrong house a block away (I know from the picture they take). DH went there and they claim they didn't get it. I KNEW I should have sent DH there with a print of the picture and package. They have a black lab so it really was a tempting package to keep with all the puppy stuff in it.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
So sorry to hear this. Its something I often worry about when expecting a delivery. Will Door Dash reimburse you for THEIR mistake?

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I had to call Doordash and they filed for my refund from Petco. I was a little hot headed with the guy from Petco that I called first. I thought it was ridiculous that I had to be the one to go through all the trouble to track down my packages. All they said was "It's out of our hands. You have to call Doordash."

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, July 13, 2022 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
The elevator at work has been out for at least a couple of weeks. They don't know when or if it will be fixed. The hotel is old and they don't make the parts for it anymore. It is a real pain to lug sheets and linens, etc. up three flights of stairs everyday. I don't know how much longer I can do this. But I HAVE to work to make my living.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2022 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hecka, I don't know if this will come as a surprise to you or not, but you have been posting on a quite unique message board for at least 12 years, and possibly longer, as many as 22 years for some of us.

This message board is 22 years old!!! What is unique about this message board is that the people who remain posting here tend to be of very high IQ's, mostly introverts, but not all. But, that is neither here nor there. YOU are one of US.

YOU are extremely intelligent, or you would not still be here. (and that goes for the rest of us who remain here 20+ years later)

Landileigh, I am looking at YOU, and I know you are still here, 22 years later, and I have almost never admitted somebody else is smarter than me, but you could be the one.

Anyway, Hecka, just know that somewhere in your being you have gifts of intellect other people do not have. You are, and have always been, able to exceed the normal. You are literate in English and computer savvy and have a high IQ. Start NOW to figure out how to leverage that.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2022 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
That BITES! If you have any issues that might fall under ADA, the hotel may need to find a way for those heavy items to be moved by someone else or some other creative resolution.
This probably violates ADA as neither guests or employees who have disabilities would be able to access the upper floors or have much difficulty doing so. Could add a bit of liability to the hotel as well.

I hope it gets sorted soon, I know I couldn't tote those heavy items up and down 3 flights of stairs every day.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, July 14, 2022 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well that's a lousy situation for sure. Carrying that stuff up all those stairs is tough.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 14, 2022 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hecka, I certainly couldn't do it! My hat's off to you, that you are able to do it at all! But like Juju says, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your (considerable) assets, and options. At the very least perhaps there's a similar job, elsewhere, where they have a proper, working elevator, and where they will appreciate your experience.