TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 17, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 17, 2022 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, May 01, 2022 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
December 23, 2020 I was next to go in "shed" for emissions test here in Chicago area. The next in. Car died. VERY DEAD. Guys had to push me through shed and around to parking. Call road service and got towed to my mechanic. Got there just before closing for the holiday. It was the alternator.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 01, 2022 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My BIL who is a mechanic said it has nothing to do with the alternator. My old mustang used to do the same thing. I could shake the steering wheel and it would work again. I didn't think it worked, but it turned for some reason again the other day.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 01, 2022 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
He suggested spraying WD-40 in the ignition. I had already thought of that, but read against it. Those people suggested graphite dust. I don't even know where to find that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 03, 2022 - 11:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I might try wd40 just on the key.. Or maybe not.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 04, 2022 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I purchased graphite dust at WalMart recently. It is used mostly in stubborn locks.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, May 05, 2022 - 5:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I bought a used room air conditioner yesterday. Do you think it will hurt it to sit in my hot car all day while I work today?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, May 05, 2022 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
It should be fine, Hecka.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, May 06, 2022 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I actually asked our maintenance man at work. He said it would be fine. The compressor is not working though. You can hear it trying to come on. Oh well, I knew there was no guarantee buying used on Facebook marketplace. It blows cool, but probably not cold enough air. Better than nothing till I can do something else.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, May 07, 2022 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Our maintenance man does not work on weekends (lucky him)or I would ask him, but it will get hot later on this week and I will probably need it. Is it okay to try to run the a/c with it trying to kick on at night while I sleep? Or should I just let the fan of the a/c run? Will it be safer either way. I realize it will probably burn the motor out quicker on the a/c to let it try to run, I guess. I guess I just answered my own question didn't I?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 07, 2022 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I run my wall unit AC for many hours / days at a time. They are supposed to run for hours, so I am unsure what your question is about.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 08, 2022 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I mean with the compressor trying to kick on and off. Will it burn the motor up?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, May 12, 2022 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I don't know what to think or how to feel, except sad. I work at a hotel as a housekeeper. One of the guests who has been staying there for over a year now, was found dead in his room today. As I was leaving to go home, the ambulance pulled up behindc and two more cops showed up. I had to wait for them to confirm his status and leave, so that I could leave. He always seemed like a nice person. He had taken in a couple of local stray cats. So everybody called him "Catman". I will miss seeing him around.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, May 12, 2022 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
My niece has livid with me through covid. She does help when I really need it, like driving me to a procedure involving anesthesia and mowing the lawn when it is overlong. I.e. not a lot of work. She has a full time job and a 5 year old child.

She is buying a house in bear country with a woods with trails behind her house and an acre of yard. The house is on stilts with no basement. I don't think she can manage this. I don't think she could manage more than a condo. But I am dismissed as a city girl old woman, her sister and brother in law and loser boyfriend are encouraging her. No garage, so they will have to walk outside to get into house. She has hiked in woods and seen bears from distance and they don't scare her.

Maybe I am too city, but at least I remember which days garbage goes out. And know how to weed and cut down small trees. Without me, my house would be weedland. She thinks she can have a vegetable garden with bears around.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, May 13, 2022 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Hecka, your hotel guest may not have been an actual "friend" in the way we normally use the word, but a friendly face you see just about every day, I believe is still a friend. And when that person is suddenly gone, it is still a loss. And I am sorry for your loss.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, May 13, 2022 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, is the house on stilts because of bears?

I don't like bears in the sense of having to live with them around, but at least bears on the east coast aren't like those nasty and scary bears on the west coast.

Does she have bear proof garbage cans?

I remember as a kid, my father would take us camping in the mountains in California and Washington State. WHERE THE GRIZZLYS LIVE!!! AND WE SLEPT IN TENTS!!!

I remember we had to be very careful about food and never bring any food in the tent because the grizzlys might get you at night.

WHAT WAS MY FATHER THINKING?!?

Buy her a shot gun as a housewarming present.

Oh, wait. She has the idiotic boyfriend who probably shouldn't be around guns. Maybe he will make good bear bait. Tell her that if they ever come across a bear, hit him in his you know where, and run like heck. The bear can only eat one person at a time.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, May 13, 2022 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Oh, good Lord. I was reading a news story about covid, and look what my eye caught in the "you might like to read" section on the side of the article. I swear I wasn't looking for it.

Cowinky-dink? I think not.

Woman in hospital after being mauled by bear while checking her mail

At least I found the answer to my question about garbage cans. And instead of a shotgun, buy her an air horn.

And why didn't they test the bear for rabies? That's what I want to know.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, May 13, 2022 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Yes that was from the town next to the house. No the house was on stilts because the water table was high. Which is also not good. They are still trying to come to an agreement but nothing I will say will discourage her. With all the problems I had in this house, you would have thought she would have learned. But no. She actually thought she could have a garden of tomatoes and cucumbers and strawberries and normal suburb stuff.

I have struggled alone here and I am not far from Newark in the megalopolis. We don't have forests or woods, just parks. Yet I have had to deal with wild turkeys loving my yard and attacking me and my dog. Last year the deer from where????? decided I grew the best flowers and destroyed my gardens. But of course they did not destroy the poison ivy that my stupid neighbor thought was a nice plant and planted by our fence.

as to the woman attacked getting her mail, she is in the hospital, the bear got away but will be killed if they find it. apparently it was a cub that was abandoned and hungry.

I also have a problem with possums thinking my garbage is a fun thing. I never ever had a problem with garbage, but she leaves the lid off and has it over flowing, I used to throw out garbage once a month, now it must be twice a week. I don't buy disposable things, but I do put out recycling once a week, I used to clean what I threw in there, that does not happen now.

I mean that bears live in the woods behind her house, there is not even a neighbor break. she says she has seen bears, she knows what to do. That frightens me the most.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, May 14, 2022 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Well, I'll tell you that a house on stilts gets old quick. My brother had to raise his house after Sandy. It's no fun dragging groceries up the stairs and taking the garbage out. And God forbid she or her daughter break a leg or something.

On a serious note, ask her how old the roof is. And how many layers there are, if its an old house. She needs to factor in how much a roof replacement is, if it's near the end of its life. Before chain supply problems and inflation, a new roof on a small house could cost $20,000. It's a lot more today, and that's if you can get the materials for it.

But, she is going to do what she wants to do and will have to learn from her mistakes. Just wait til she trays to find a babysitter in the middle of nowhere. Lol!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 16, 2022 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Voting: So does anyone know the answer to this question. I reported my new address to the "voting people" but I swear a day afterward I got my normal mail in ballot at my current address. I don't know if I should complete it and mail it in (I am in a mail only area) from my current address.

I want my vote to count and I don't know if the ballot is ok since I haven't actually moved yet.

Thanks.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 16, 2022 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, there should be a phone number or internet link somewhere on the ballot for questions just such as yours. You have probably already found it. But I would think, if you are actually still living at the address listed on the day you vote, then your ballot is definitely valid.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Who thought it was a good idea to make ice cream chewy? Ugh. I found what I thought was ice cream. It's called "Sweety Mochi Ice Cream". I tried it today,and it's not like ice cream. It was chewy. I don't like it. I'll stick to regular ice cream.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lol, Hecka! In the US, we have our chocolate covered versions of ice cream treats. In Japan, they have Mochi, small scoops of ice cream covered with a chewy substance made from rice flour. When I first had one, my only thought was that they would be good for small children because they can be eaten right from your hand but yeah, they were not my cup of tea.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Dipo if you didn't move far, the ballots may be identical, but checking to be sure it will be counted is good.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I live in a smallish city between Seattle and Vancouver, BC. My local Kroger-affiliated grocery sells Mochi. Which means probably all of the grocery stores in town also do. I have never tried it.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Juju, is that Freddie’s? Ie Fred Meyers?