TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 28, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The Entertainment Place: Hollywood gossip, news & milestones: Archive through March 28, 2022 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 09, 2022 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And he is going back to Poland to help with resettlement efforts and bring a bunch of needed supplies and items that were donated, along with money, to an organization he and his brother set up.

I @Baranova27 which Val explained is an address where he and Maks lived in Ukraine years ago.

It worked out well that he was able to report from within Ukraine, but then made it home and went o the news several times to spread the word but fairly quickly he and Peta and Val started working on what they could do to help. I'm impressed.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, March 13, 2022 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
William Hurt has passed at the age of 71 of natural causes.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, March 22, 2022 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Michael Ausiello
@MichaelAusiello
·
1h
Breaking: #AndJustLikeThat Formally Renewed for Season 2 at HBO Max

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Well, this happened at the Oscars.
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1508270716063469576?s=21&t=mlj9_IbgbY3s0CnjP-lNYA

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
OMG! My mouth is literally on the floor and I can't believe what I just saw!! I had to google to see if it was real

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/chris-rock-punches-will-smith-oscars-fight-1235216387/

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
It's all anybody is talking about on Twitter tonight.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
As a local newscaster, Casey Holdahl, here tweeted. “Love Chris Rock but I watched season 4 of Fargo, no way he could fake that reaction”

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Why would someone want to embarrass someone for a medical condition, and in front of such a huge audience?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I doubt he was trying to embarrass a medical condition, may not be aware she has one. It was a bad joke.
Will Smith was a jerk, responding with violence and profanity was unacceptable. He could have handled it much better. Will appeared to have chuckled at the joke while Jada had an annoyed look. Did she say something to Will that had him foolishly go on stage to slap a person?
I wonder if there will be any repercussions for his actions. At this point, I rather hope so.

Now, Will Smith winning an Oscar (that perhaps should have gone to Benedict Cumberbatch) will be forever marred by his shameful actions and cringe worthy rambling speech.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Most comedians at these shows poke fun at people in the audience over the roles that they have portrayed this past year. Chris Rock went after Jada's looks - why did he go there?? I'm not excusing Smith's actions but I found him sincere in his speech.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 3:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I did not see the actual event on tv. Was doing something else and noticed the tv sound was off. Looked up and saw nothing. I saw the event on Twitter a few minutes later. In looking back at footage, Will Smith was laughing initially, head rolled back laughing, at Chris Rocks joke. Jada wasn’t. It was then that he went up to Rock to slap him. Stupid thing for him to do. Classless. Violence is never the answer. It was not a good look for him.
To be honest, I’m not a fan of Will Smith, never have been. Chose not to see his movie. To me, he pompous and full of himself. I did not care that he won the Oscar and muted his speech because I didn’t want to hear him speak. Again, didn’t know or care that he tried to walk it back.
It seemed to me that there was more to this than the one joke. Later, I found out that something happened at the 2016 Oscars with a joke back then about Jada protesting the Oscars because of the lack of black nominees. A comment was made in Rocks monologue something to the effect that she wasn’t invited because she was a tv star... and other silly jokes about Smith.
I do give Chris Rock credit for his restrained response to the slap. Not sure that everyone could do that.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 4:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I didn't think Chris went after her looks at all. She had a shaved head. GI Jane had a shaved head in the movie. I didn't see it as a knock at her looks at all.

I only would have found Will's apology sincere if he would have included Chris Rock in it, but he didn't.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 4:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
THIS NOT THE FIRST TIME HE'S TAKEN A JAB AT JADA. WILL SHOULD HAVE USED HIS FIST. ALOPECEA ISN'T A JOKE.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 5:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
And that joke about Jada 6 YEARS AGO wasn't bad either. Will Smith came off as a loser hot head. IMO.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Honestly, jokes about celebs are often vicious. You have to learn to take it.

However, one thing we didn't see is that after the camera went off Jada, she started crying. Denzel and Combs went over to comfort her, and that's when Will lost it and went to the stage. He should have limited himself to words!! It would have been so much more powerful and effective. TBH, I don't think he hit him full force tho, or it would have knocked him down, not that it matters.

He's lucky Chris Rock rolled with it, and refused to press charges.

And Will Smith's Oscar legacy will forever be tainted by his loss of self control.

I have great empathy for Jada, losing your hair is traumatic... mine is only thinning, I can't imagine how I'd feel to lose it all. I'm glad she was brave enough to go as her bald-headed self, but it sounds like she was not emotionally ready for it. Rock that bald head, woman! You are so beautiful, you are fortunate that you are also physically beautiful bald. Some of us aren't that lucky!

Life is all a matter of perspective.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I recently had to shave my hair because of chemo...it is hard to do but it is not the end of the world. (However I do give Ms. Pinkett-Smith some leeway because Alopecia isn't like my situation where I have some hope of my hair returning.)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I read differently that Denzel and The other guy went over to calm Will down because he was still agitated.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
It's just sad all around.

On a side note, Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes and Regina Hall did great as co- hosts!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
These guys make Kanye West look like the picture of decorum. Add in Venus flashing her nipple and it’s a full three ring circus.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
As James Kennedy, from Vanderpump Rules, would say, "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PASTA!"

If it was anyone else who had cracked that joke, do you really think he would have gone onstage and slapped that person? I highly doubt it. Imagine if Amy Schumer or Wanda Sykes told that joke. Or someone like P. Diddy.

And Will Smith didn't apologize to Chris Rock, or the person who won the Oscar right after this happened (taking away from his moment) or the Wiliams sister's, whom Will Smith portrayed their father. Because now, I have zero desire to see that movie or anything else Will Smith has or ever will star in again. He only apologized to the academy for career purposes, and basically blamed the devil for making him do it. Pulease! He wasn't sorry at all.

What a coward and a loser.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I read differently that Denzel and The other guy went over to calm Will down because he was still agitated.

Yes, but that was AFTER he went on stage. They were tending to Jada after the joke, and before Will went on stage. (Why wasn't he tending to his own wife??)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
My understanding and opinion of this...

1. Chris may not have written the joke, someone from the show's team of writers most likely wrote it. Chris, or whoever wrote it, may not have been aware of Jada's Alopecia condition. (I certainly had no idea until last night.)

2. Apparently Will initially laughed. (Although I saw it all, I don't actually remember him laughing, but rather frowning. But then, I'm not particularly observant.)

3. Jada was clearly upset.

4. (Previously at the 2016 Oscars, Chris put Jada down in a joke, which also probably didn't sit well with her. So this 2nd time may have felt cumulative and painfully pointed.)

4. Will advanced to the stage and slapped Chris. So very wrong.
- unbecoming behaviour.
- others have pointed out, and I agree, Will was unnecessarily and idiotically, behaving uber-macho. Jada is a grown woman. I also believe she should have tried to restrain him from leaving his seat inappropriately.

I think Chris handled being unfairly, and embarrassingly ASSAULTED (in front of the whole world!) extraordinarily well. Though clearly shocked, he struggled successfully to keep his poise.

(I believe that since he'd earlier thanked Amy and the other ladies for hosting the 1st half of the show, that she was done for the evening. So when she came out later and continued hosting, I strongly believe she was stepping in for Chris. Whether he refused to go back out or whether the producers pulled him, I don't know. And maybe he really was done for the night, but it doesn't add up to me. I'm just guessing, but her being asked to step in does add up for me. Otherwise why would he have thanked her when he took over? It just makes sense.

Last I heard, Chris has not pressed charges. Whether it's his decision,
or after legal advice, it's a pretty classy decision. Although I gather that the LAPD have stated if he changes his mind they will investigate.

As for Will's emotional speech... While he apologised to pretty much everyone, short of the cleaning staff, by not stating he had overreacted and apologizing to Chris specifically, his rambling speech was worthless. He could have merely said that while he felt justified in his anger at Chris, he was out of line getting physical, and regretted it. Then I'd have regained respect for him.

IMHO YMMV 😇

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
It was probably a good thing that Chris Rock thought it was a joke at first. Who knows what would have happened if he thought otherwise. A giant brawl?

Here's a clip of him back stage watching it.

Link

MB is right, he was to upset to go back on to finish the rest of the show.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's not Chris Rock. I wonder who it is pretending to be him?