TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Cutting the cord

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: Cutting the cord users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 4:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I have recently had to cut the cord, as they say. My cable bill had gotten way too high and was just going to continue to go up. I have an Insignia indoor antenna. I need to know if there is a better one, as programs sometimes get dropped. It was quite windy yesterday and the signal was not coming in very well. I don't know if I'm allowed to have an outdoor antenna, but it would probably work better. Any suggestions?

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
You may be in an area with a bad signal, but there are amplifying antennae that might be helpful. IMO though you shouldn't need to spend more than about $30 on an antenna--mine is a leaf style antenna that cost something like $25 and I get more stations now than I did when I was paying Time Warner and Spectrum $50 for basic cable. https://nocable.org/ can give you a basic idea re: which channels you can expect to receive, but I just looked up my address and I get significantly more stations than the site indicates.

My one suggestion is to get either an Amazon Firestick or a Roku device. I have a Firestick (because I have Prime) that I did a "jailbreak" on so I can install apps that aren't exactly legal and allow me to watch a broad swath of American, British, and Australian TV shows (Australia has a few good reality shows and the UK has Bake-Off, a great version of Masterchef, and more) or even Punjabi TV if I felt like it. To the best of my knowledge, you can't jailbreak Roku, though.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I do have a Roku. It works really well with the Tablo device. The Tablo needs the antenna to pickup local channels. I looked up my location on the TV Fool website. According to that website, I should be able to get all my local channels with a set-top type antenna. Which is good, I don't have anybody to put an antenna on my roof. I am a widow alone.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, March 24, 2022 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Heck, have you tried the peacock app? Its free for most things. You should be able to get the NBC shows on it. At least it's something until you get the antenna thing figured out.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, March 25, 2022 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I do get Peacock, as well as Hulu. Hulu gets most tv programming, so when stuff is preempted, I can watch it later. It's funny, I was talking to a co-worker today, and she had found a Roku remote left in a room. I tried it at home,but it is for a Roku tv, not a Roku device like I have. I have an amplified antenna on order, hopefully that will help enough.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Heck, my antenna sits on a stack of books near my tv. works pretty good.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, April 08, 2022 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My new antenna came today, about 4 days early. So far, I think my old cheaper one worked better. Hopefully, it will improve. The weather has been quite windy today.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, April 09, 2022 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Wind will have no impact on an indoor antenna and shouldn’t bother an outdoor if securely installed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: