TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 11, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Silly little gripes: Archive through December 11, 2021 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 23, 2021 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, I Church's is my place of choice, but I was coming home from the doctor and wanted to stop at something on the way.

When I get Church's, I get the 8 chicken legs and thighs, and a couple biscuits. OR, I get an order of livers and gizzards.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, November 24, 2021 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Naja, I didn't know Churches had livers etc available to order. Yum!

We have a new fast food ried chicken place in the neighbourhood. Jollibee. It's Filipino. We tried it last week. Juicy and delicious. They also have spaghetti there. Which for some reason, I find it hilarious. Trying that next.
So is there a Jollibee in the States?

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, November 24, 2021 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
There is a Jollibee here in San Antonio but not real handy or close to our house. Their website says there five in Texas and another 50 or so spread throughout the US.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, November 24, 2021 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I've never heard of them. I'm near Kansas City, MO.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, November 24, 2021 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mack 'n Naja, well if you have a chance to try it, let me know what you think. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 04, 2021 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have heard of Jollibee, but is it around here? There are 4, but 6.7 miles is closest with a hellish drive down the 405.. the others are farther and not in areas I hang out.

No gizzards or livers for me.. but no Church's in my county, though over 50 in California. Some in Long Beach, but, that isn't fast food

And the spaghetti looks odd.. almost plastic in the picture

I just get the 8 piece chicken at Ralph's for $7.99. I prefer white meat but eat all the pieces..

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Sunday, December 05, 2021 - 4:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Another odd pairing is barbeque and spaghetti. You see them sharing a menu fairly frequently here!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 05, 2021 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
A similar odd couple, is mac 'n cheese as a side dish with chicken or turkey. To me mac 'n cheese is a meal, preferably lunch. We love it, but it's still weird. Lol

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, December 07, 2021 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Holy crap. I always order the same thing from the Chinese restaurant, and this month the price has gone up from approx $22.00 to $27.62. I hate this.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2021 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I love Cincinnati Cchili, Skyline.. which is served over spaghetti.. it is a different spaghetti sauce and then they put on shaved cheese and onions (all choices) and I love it! There was a specific restaurant here, the Cincinnati Chili Parlor, in Orange County and I loved it and hooked several friends on it and then.. it was gone! One time on a business trip to Atlanta, one night we went to a mall food court and there was place called Cincy's and yes! I was so happy.

I also had it on a visit to Cincinatti conference in Indiana and I found a Skyline there

But NOTHING out here. So sad.

I've never been a mac n cheese fan, homemade or not, not even the high end concoctions. But I know many people include it as part of a Thanksgiving feast.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, December 07, 2021 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I grew up eating Mac and cheese every Friday… made with Velveeta cheese. Yuck! I haven’t had it since I moved out on my own. Same with chicken noodle casserole. There were chunks of something in it that my mom said were mushrooms. Once I ate a fresh mushroom, I always wondered what those chunks were. I’d rather starve than eat either of those meals now.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2021 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We had fish every Friday growing up, not because we were Catholic, but because it was on sale. Frozen haddock 99 cents a pound or less, and it served our family of 5, and my Australian mother knew what haddock was vs. all of the weird fish Americans ate.

I learned about chicken noodle casserole made with cream of mushroom soup in college, and have loved it ever since, but haven't had it in 40 years or so. Same with Velveeta macaroni and cheese. LOVED it, haven't had it in maybe 40 years also.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 07, 2021 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, I bet those were canned mushrooms. I remember those.

We had tuna casseroles.

But we bucked the fish on Friday trend, as we had chicken every Friday for a long time. I think that was to celebrate the beginning of the weekend. Then one year after my dad was rejected for giving blood due to being somewhat anemic, the doctor told him he should eat liver, which he rejected (thank goodness, because my mom loved liver and if there had been a reason for it, we would have been forced to eat it too), so the second choice was rare beef. My parents were midwestern to the core and you cooked your meat well done. But, the anemia, so we started having rare steak on Fridays and OMG, my dad didn't care for it rare but my mom, brother and I found we really liked that. I don't remember how long that Friday tradition lasted but it was good while we had it.

Velveeta was a staple for us. We had a couple of slices at lunch, along with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and applesauce (my brother for a time would mix all those together).

For a school lunch the velveeta was wrapped in foil and we had a box of raisens (Sun Maid) instead of the applesauce.

We just were used to the sameness of lunches. Years later I met up with best friend from the neighborhood and she said SHE loved that sameness at our house, just the fact that we GOT lunch at the same time every day. I gather her mom was pretty erratic about those things and our friends would get invited during the summer if they were around.

We also gathered around the tv with neighbor kids many nights when they might have already had dinner but our dad was more of a white collar worker and came home considerably later, so we waited to have dinner. I imagine the other moms were happy to have the kids entertained for a bit and we liked the company and my mom served us all carrot sticks while we watched Mickey Mouse Club or whatever was the popular show . Howdy Doody..

But oddly, I don't remember mac n cheese much. Maybe I've blocked it out?

I just know that if I have a meal that includes cole slaw, cranberry sauce, mac n cheese, other people at my table get extra. This Thanksgiving, my friend Lorna said she was thankful that I don't like cranberry sauce.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 4:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Yeah, Sea - I'll bet those alien lumps were CANNED mushrooms. The texture and taste is completely different from fresh. Same thing with asparagus for me. In both cases I like both, but perceive them as quite different!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Canned mushrooms... that makes sense. My parents were from the Midwest, as well, really into meat (beef), potatoes and a vegetable. Chicken was a luxury on Sundays. Now, I eat much more chicken than beef (rarely eat this), I have salads and fish.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We didn't have much fresh anything in the winter then. And I never saw a fresh mushroom until I was married.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

There were chunks of something in it that my mom said were mushrooms.

That particular casserole, chicken noodle casserole, popular in the 50's and 60's, called for it to be made with Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup, so the mushrooms were IN the soup. One did not add more canned mushrooms. But, yes, the mushrooms in the soup tasted exactly like canned mushrooms. Canned mushrooms are just fine, if you cannot get fresh.

Okay, so add one more topic I can easily spend fifteen minutes talking about, in addition to tomatoes and corn - mushrooms.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I shy away from most casseroles as people think that cream of mushroom soup is an acceptable ingredient. It is not, nor are mushrooms 9f any kind.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, December 09, 2021 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Mushrooms are goodly used properly. 🙂

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, December 09, 2021 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I like mushrooms. My father liked mushrooms. Mom would pan fry (or whatever) 'em on the stove. Since I don't cook / don't know how, I recently cooked boneless/skinless chicken thighs in Trader Joe's mushroom soup in a crockpot. Good!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, December 09, 2021 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
To be fair, all of those Campbell's soup recipes were popular in the '60's, when people were just beginning to experiment with not making everything from scratch. It was a gigantic boon to busy homemakers. The pendulum has since swung the other way.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, December 09, 2021 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I liked to go mushroom hunting with my dad but I maintain mushrooms are vile to eat.
Eat them if you must but they are not for me.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, December 09, 2021 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Chicken on Fridays, when I was a kid, for Shabbat/Shabbos/Sabbath.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, December 10, 2021 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Juju - my mom's version of the chicken noodle soup casserole was the soup, mushroom soup, and ground beef. It was mixed together, then put in the casserole dish and topped with potato chip crumbs and baked. We called it "Hollywood Chicken." It was one of those things I LOVED growing up but can't imagine eating it now! LOL

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Saturday, December 11, 2021 - 3:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
While I don't think of Campbells' - or anybody else's - cream of mushroom soup as a food in itself, it is a very handy thickening or binding element in my kitchen - just sayin'!