TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 20, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: Archive through December 20, 2021 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 06, 2021 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Arrgh.. perfectly good computers.. is a pain for us, but think ... not able t just buy or even have..

Also lately making appointments for medical procedures comse with increaaing demands that one must enter all sorts of information via computer, take pictures with cell phones, respond to email and texts. Not everyone has access like that and while i do, i find it pretty annoying.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
MOving this over here... New Q: All of a sudden Twitter is holding my tweets, in order words, when I go there it says "Show 18 Tweets". I don't understand why it doesn't automatically refresh.

I think this is right up Naja's alley to figure out, she knows Windows 11 and I suspect that is the problem.

I did google and did check to figure out if I had an extension that was causing the problem, but I don't.

I can't seem to figure out how to get "Refresh Tweets Automatically" to work.

Anyone have this problem and already solved it?

THANKS!!!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's definitely not a Windows problem.

I forget which browser you use. Is it Chrome? If so, this chrome app does it for you. Maybe you had it installed on the old pc and forgot to reinstall on your new computer? I do that all the time with the little things.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/refresh-for-twitter/hdpiilkeoldobfomlhipnnfanmgfllmp?hl=en

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yes it is Chrome. checking to see what your links say.

Thanks Naja.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I did that, but twitter is still acting the same way.

Do I need to restart the computer after I do that link?

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Usually with extensions, you just have to close and reopen the browser. I don't use chrome, so I don't what else to do. I hope someone else will stop in to help.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I will close everything down, tonight and try again in the morning. Maybe then it will take, LOL.

It's a double edged sword, I used to hate when I was looking at tweets and all of a sudden twitter would refresh and I would have to try and get back where I was in the first place.

Now it is annoying that it doesn't refresh when I first come to the page.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

I can't seem to figure out how to get "Refresh Tweets Automatically" to work.

Oh, I wish that were MY problem. I HATE auto-refresh, and I have tried to get rid of it in the past without success. I get to Twitter, and something catches my eye that I want to look into more, but I already have about 17 tabs open that I also want to look at, and when I get back to Twitter, whatever it was is gone. Sometimes this ability women have to multi-task can be a real pain.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I know Juju, I get annoyed when it would refresh when I didn't want it to as well, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahahaha ... The Verge @verge
Twitter stops auto-refreshing timelines so tweets won’t disappear while you’re still reading them https://theverge.com/

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, December 17, 2021 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I print very little. Hadn't for a while. Very low ink so put in new HP cartridge. Only print black. Have an HP Photosmart 6520. When I tried printing yesterday got few bad pages and then printed couple almost perfect pages. Good. Day later want to print one page. Tried three times -- none are good. Now what? If it matters -- hooked up via cable.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 4:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
It might need the printer heads cleaned. Here's a you tube video on how to do it.

Link

Or Google how to clean printer heads with your make and model.

Good luck!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There is usually a utility for cleaning the print heads. You can run it from your PC or if the printer has a screen you may be able to select it from the screen on the printer. That's probably all you can do.

The downside is it uses ink (it cleans it by pushing ink through the print heads). The other downside is it may not clear it. Ink jet printers are notorious for clogging and there's not a lot you can do about it short of buying a new printer.

If you don't print a lot (or if you do print a lot) I'd recommend buying a laser printer. They're more reliable.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have never had anything but a laser printer, and I love it. Bought my first one, a Brother laser in San Francisco in 1998 for the outrageous sum of about $250. It lasted a really long time. I am now on my 3rd Brother laser, and they are down to around $90 on sale.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
$90! Haven't looked at printers for a long time. Last laser printer I used was at work at a law firm in Chicago in '02. IIRC laser printer at home would have been $$$. Come down in price since then? Will check 'em out for here at home.

A number of years ago when I got this printer direct from HP and then got a support / service plan and . . . . Total dealings with HP was one of the worst experiences I have ever had buying on-line. Wish I could remember more of details about it. Horrible experience.

Let me ask -- at the time HP told me this printer should not / cannot be plugged into a strip. HAD to be plugged directly into wall socket. So it always has been. Would be more convenient to plug into strip. So strip or socket?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Have one Christmas letter I want to print. Or she can get it late. Or I can e-mail. Want to print this one and include in Christmas card.

Lasers are reliable? I want to keep it simple -- wireless, black ink only.

When I switched from PCs to Apple / MacBook Pro in February '10 Apple store near me happened to be selling HP inkjet printers. I'm on my third HP. IIRC it's third.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
And where is good place to buy printer? Not only price, but maybe could call for help getting it going, whatever questions? I usually end up with some questions from home.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, December 19, 2021 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
My Brother printers last so long, I don't remember where I bought them from, but they do print black only. I just hit google/shopping and and did indeed find a wireless one for $90 from Walmart.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, December 20, 2021 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Brother is known for their laser printers. They make great printers though I think it’s slightly easier (but more expensive) to change the ink in HP laser printers. That said, I have a Brother laser printer (after finally giving up on ink jets) and it works great.

I can see no logical reason why a printer should be plugged directly into a wall socket as opposed to plugging it into a good strip.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 20, 2021 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
My Samsung CLX-3185 laser color sprinter/scanner/copier has been going strong for 9 years! If it ever dies, I am sticking with another Samsung. They don't make these anymore, so I should really look for what they make now that is comparable just in case mine finally gives out.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-clx-3185/p/N82E16828112251

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, December 20, 2021 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
IIRC Office Depot salesman said HP laser printer ink cartridge and drum were one piece. Brother laser printer ink cartridge and drum are two pieces. Or is it the reverse? In any case drums should last a long time. I still haven't decided which. I'm carless for a few days.

Naja, I thought laser printers could only print black.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, December 20, 2021 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I’ve had a Canon PIXMA inkjet wireless printer for a number of years with no issues. It was really cheap, so good return on investment.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 20, 2021 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Colordeagua, you can see just by clicking that laser printers can print in color.

I would never do inkjet again after trying laser.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, December 20, 2021 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
In over 20 years, I have never had a need for a color printer.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, December 20, 2021 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
For the almost endless printing that's done in a law firm, laser is it. Firm keeps printers working. I have vague memory of printing in a law firm when even computers / word processing was a newer thing so definitely pre laser. IIRC some monster inkjet kinda printer.