TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 05, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: Archive through November 05, 2021 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
It didn’t like my processor either. I’ll just wait until closer to when they stop supporting Windows 10.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well I kept getting Windows Processing errors and had to restart my computer and then I would have trouble getting my malwares to load up, so it finally occurred to me there might be a virus.

Computer man is coming at 12.30.

This morning I woke up and the internet wouldn't engage!!! I did a troubleshoot and got that back working so it can't be too soon for the computer man!

Also going to see if I should upgrade to Windows 10.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, so it seems my harddrive is dying! I have to get a new laptop! When did they get so expensive!!

Anyone know of any deals? I want an HP laptop, would like a 19 inch screen, SSD with 256 GB.

thanks !

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'll look for deals when I get out of the shower. I love computer shopping.

Can it be refurbished, or does it have to be new? In my experience, factory refurbished is like new.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have found you will be hard pressed to find a new 19" laptop. 17.3 is really all I am finding for new HPs. Here are 2 to start with. I won't recommend anything I wouldn't get myself.

Not touch screens. Intel i5s

Refurbished:
https://www.newegg.com/silver-hp-17/p/1TS-000D-0MDV0?Description=hp%20laptop&cm_re=hp_laptop-_-9SIAA0SFNK7277-_-Product&quicklink=true

Open Box
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-natural-silver/6461988.p?skuId=6461988

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Those are both good. I also found one at Staples. I want new with a SSD.

What does open box mean?

Thanks.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Open box just means the box is open. It could be a return or someone just opened the box. Either way, it's tested before it's sold.

Asus is my personal fav, and walmart has a sweet deal. It's only 128gb sdd, but it has a 1TB hdd for storage. 128 gigs is plenty to run a fast computer and store a lot of files, but you put most your stored files on the other 1TB HDD.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-VivoBook-17-3-i5-8GB-1TB-128GB-Laptop-FHD-Intel-Core-i5-1035G1-UHD-Graphics-8GB-RAM-SSD-1TB-HDD-Windows-10-Home-Silver-S712JA-WH54/513437993

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
OMG, that sounds like a wonderful deal on the ASUS, Naja. So ... it has a 128 GB SSD AND a 1 TB memory onboard? Which seems like a wonderful idea. I heard it here first.

I remain addicted to the Dell Latitudes that Car54, formerly of this board and a couple others, put me onto. ASUS were always top-rated back before I got addicted to Dell Latitudes, which they may call something else these days, but I don't need to know that because my old Latitudes never break down.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Same here Juju. My Dell latitudes seem to last forever. I have only gotten a new one when I needed the newer processors for my photography processing programs.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It does sound like a good deal, I guess I should have mentioned that I wanted to stick with HP, LOL.

I am leaning towards the Staples system.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Juju, I love my Dell laptop as well. A Dell Inspiron. But mostly I'm on my Asus Desktop on the living room.

My first PC was a Dell desktop, and just last year I finally took it apart and threw it away, but kept the 2 HDDs that were in it. It was almost 20 years old and was still working perfectly. I was only using it for storage at this point in the back office bedroom. I replaced it with that mini PC I posted about. (Which I LOVE so much I moved it to the rec room and gave it it's own desk. It's the thing with the orange button)

Would you believe that cute little computer desk cost only $29? It's says $39 right now, but occasionally it drops. I caught it on a day it dropped.
https://www.amazon.com/VERMESS-Computer-Office-Writing-Rustic/dp/B08RW34TY1

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
That’s a cool desk, a good price too. I looked at it on Amazon and giggled that they were promoting a desk chair with it costing $988.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
That is a cute little desk!

My computer is totally dieing so I went ahead and bought the Staples HP, I got it for $619 and then got $80 in coupons, I think from the fact I joined their rewards program, and free shipping.

It is supposed to be here tomorrow. Thank goodness because I got a message this morning when I started my computer .... The smart hard disk check has detected an imminent failure ....

So time to move to a new computer.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
They say the happiest days are when babies are born. I say the happiest days are when new computers arrive. hahaha

Have fun, Dipo!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
And they reboot so quickly when they are new!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Good work, Dipo, getting what you wanted. Seems like a decent price.

Kooklie, a couple of my ageing Dells still boot lightning fast. I remain astounded.

Naja, I remember when you posted about that Dell mini, and I was fascinated, and I think even saved it, but these elderly Dell Latitude laptops just keep going and going , preventing me from considering other options. I am probably going to wake up when I am 100 years old, and the Dell Latitude laptops are also 100 years old in dog years.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Got my new computer set up but I forgot to ask how to make the font a "readable" size, LOL.

Someone know where I can find that option, I am headed to settings.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Right click on any blank area of the desk top, choose "personalize", and on the left you'll see "accessibility". Click it. That's where the text size option is listed first thing.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, got that. I got the new Office and now have to figure out hot to make that look more normal. I can't find half the things I want to know and I just want to put all my files back but that is going to take a minute or two to figure out.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, the speakers are really so much better on this one!

Oh and did I mention I ended up with Windows 11, I thought I had bought a unit with Windows 10.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Well, the first thing you do when you get a new PC is do all the windows updates. Which means you will end up with 11. Then install your anti-virus.

Then start putting back and adjusting your apps.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Windows update that is making perfectly too computers obsolete is a la in for us, but I think of all the people who may just not be able to have a computer. That sucks.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Microsoft is supporting windows 10 until 2025.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh, I had my computer man set it up and then transfer all my files in. He did all the updates, got my virus software turned back on and got it all going well.

I did forget to ask him about the font, but he said he will be in the office tomorrow and to call if I have any questions.

After working a little with excel I remember when I was employed and they brought out this version of excel that I hated, this new version is just like it, LOL. It will take some time to get used to it and figuring out what all the things I like were changed to, so annoying.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

The Windows update that is making perfectly too computers obsolete is a la in for us, but I think of all the people who may just not be able to have a computer. That sucks.

Translation, please.