TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 30, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: Archive through October 30, 2021 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 26, 2021 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have been testing adblockers with Edge and this one is the best!

Deltablocker Ad Block for Edge.

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/deltablocker/..../

I use shady sites to watch live sports, certain tv shows, etc, and they always come with zillions of ads, traps and other unsavory things. Well, this one really seems to stop them all so far. I normally use Firefox for surfing, but I like to use a different browser for video so I don't accidentally close it up.

tea: OH! and Ublock Origin is working best for me in Firefox. I've tried about 3 different of the most popular ones there.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, September 26, 2021 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the helpful info, Naja!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 26, 2021 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You're welcome! :-) let me know if you try it.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, September 26, 2021 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja. I don't frequently use Edge, but I installed it anyway. Did same with Ublock Origin for Firefox.

Got any recommendations for Chrome?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, September 27, 2021 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
One of the problems I have with the ad blocker that I use on my iPhone (Purify) is some sites identify that I have an ad blocker and won’t let me see the site unless I disable it. Does anyone else have this issue?

As an aside, I don’t mind seeing a “reasonable” amount of ads as part of the “cost” of using a site. But excessive ones that are intrusive and abusive are not acceptable.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 27, 2021 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, they've made it so easy to disable adblockers for the website you're on that it's not even a good excuse anymore. For example, for Ublock, you click on the Ublock icon at the top of your browser, and then click the big blue round uBlock button it shows you. It's disabled forever for the website you're on, or until you decide to enable it again. You've never left the page, you've never had to open settings, nothing. Just click, click, done.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, September 27, 2021 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh yes it’s not hard to disable them, but then you get all the ads that you didn’t want to have to deal with.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 27, 2021 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
haha, so true :-)

I counted one day without an adblock how many ads and popups I had to close, fake downloads, redirects, and more, that I had to go through just to get to the live stream of the Cubs game, and I stopped counting at 15. The other ad blockers I tried still left a couple or 3 behind. Now with the uBlock Origin and the DeltaBlocker, I just go to the page and click to start the stream. I'm so happy. That's why I had to run here and share.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, September 27, 2021 - 11:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks for doing the work for us, Naja. I have always trusted the results of your research.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 25, 2021 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: In the past 2 days I have had to force close my computer, push the power button, because all my windows had frozen. I was using Chrome.

Anyone else having this issue? I did look on Google and didn't see anything from Chrome.

I am now using Edge for the browser. Tired of having to shut down my computer multiple times in a day.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, October 25, 2021 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You have windows 10? Then it's probably time to just refresh or reset everything. It's so easy now. You can choose to keep all your files. You don't need to be a techie.

You can start out with refresh and see if that helps.

"How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-refresh-reset-or-restore-your-pc-51391d9a-eb0a-84a7-69e4-c2c1fbceb8dd

Here's the difference:

Refresh your PC to reinstall Windows and keep your personal files and settings. Refresh also keeps the apps that came with your PC and the apps you installed from the Microsoft Store.

Reset your PC to reinstall Windows but delete your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 25, 2021 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Nope, I believe I am still on windows 8.

And it not the files, it is Chrome having my tvch, email, tabs open and all of a sudden everything freezes. You cannot move the cursor, CNTRL / ALT/ Delete doesn't work so all I can do is turn off the power.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 26, 2021 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So, I got some ideas from Naja and I am not sure which item solved my problem but I went to my Chrome settings and eventually I found an area where I could turn on all cookies and I haven't had a problem since, LOL.

Now I did go to other areas and turn things on and off so those other things could have solved it.

But I am just happy everything is back to working like normal.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, October 27, 2021 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Naja, I got a Windows process error today, so I am wondering about updates. I think I have 8.1 running now.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, October 27, 2021 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dipo, there are just too many variables to know how to help with that information. IMO, your best option is to update to windows 10, (and soon update to 11). I'm not sure why you are still on 8. 10 is wonderful. You were steered in the wrong direction to stay with 8.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, October 27, 2021 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hmm, Oh, I know why I didn't upgrade, I didn't want to lose some games I had, but as I realize it now I haven't accessed them in years.

So I should look into updating, but first I should probably back up my data, LOL.

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Thursday, October 28, 2021 - 5:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I live three traffic lights away from a Computer Pros store where I receive free service any time I go in. The problem is usually that I have hit the wrong button somehow or somewhere at the wrong time. It only takes someone who knows what they are doing a few minutes to set everything working smoothly again. I did buy my laptop (used) there, but they did the same with my former one that I did not buy there.

I think it has something to do with several dozen cookies for Christmas and occasional deliveries of seasonal cupcakes. Anyway, I am more than happy with my side of the deal!!!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, October 28, 2021 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow that is a good deal! :-)

Unfortunately, from what I’ve heard, a lot of computers (including some fairly recent ones) won’t meet the requirements needed to be able to run Windows 11. I’m not sure why Microsoft decided to make it that way.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, October 28, 2021 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
LOL, TNT, you are indeed blessed to have those folks nearby who will send you home fixed in a few minutes for free.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was just offered windows 11 tonight. It's downloading now.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Naja, you are SO cutting edge! Keep us posted how it goes/went.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
My laptop is not that old, but it won’t be compatible with Windows 11. I’ll probably wait to switch then, as I don’t want to buy a new computer for a couple of years.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
My two desktops (the regular one and the mini I posted about in this thread Monday, November 09, 2020 - 8:23 am) both took the 11 update fine.

The first thing I noticed was all the shortcut icons are so much prettier, and my taskbar shortcuts are aligned in the center instead of to the left (you can set them back). And a couple of app links I had on the taskbar were gone, and I just added them back. But all my apps and data are still here.

When you click the start button, it looks a little different, but everything is there as before. If you don't see it, right click instead of click on the start button and it will be there. I'm just trying to say you aren't going to be shocked by any huge changes.

I had to shut off a couple things on the taskbar like the chat.

My Dell laptop and my old Asus netbook wouldn't take the update.

I knew the netbook wouldn't. It only has 2 gigs of ram and you need 4.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications

But I was surprised my Dell laptop wouldn't take it. I mean it's an Intel i7 with 8 gigs of ram. So I went through all the system requirements to be sure, and it's not hardware I'm lacking, it's something called firmware for "TPM 2.0" or "Trusted Platform Module 2.0", and since TPM is not listed in my Bios, what Dell wants me to do is this. I'm saving it for another day

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000184894/how-to-successfully-update-the-tpm-firmware-on-your-dell-computer

I'll let you know when I get to it and if I succeed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You have to download an app called PC Health Check from Microsoft.

Install and run and then ask it to check your computer.

Mine doesn't make it, as is.

It won't let me copy the report but I don't have TPM (see Naja's post) but more of a problem it doesn't like my AMD processor.

Everything else is ok but the processor is apparently a fatal error for them.

Mine is a Lenovo AMD A6-6310

It may not like the graphics card, but the processor is the sticky wicket.

I have more than ample memory and storage and 4 cores (it requires 2)

Clock speed is more than required.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-system-requirements-86c11283-ea52-4782-9efd-7674389a7ba3

I have until 2025 so I'm not rushing out to by hardward at this point.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the updates, Naja. I suspect ALL of my Dell laptops are going to be too old take the updates. Please keep us posted, but no hurry for me.