TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
How do you buy a car

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: How do you buy a car users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 14, 2021Juju2bigdog25 08-14-21  10:14 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, August 15, 2021 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Thank you. Thought maybe salesperson would happily take advantage of me not knowing anything about all the tech in the car. I'm just interested in navigation and music / radio. Back-up and lane alerts good too.

Earlier this year as I was pulling into a parking spot between two cars, car to the left of me started backing up / out. I layed on the horn. She kept on backing up. It was some BIG late model vehicle. I couldn't even see if anyone was in it before starting to pull in. She did some damage to my little Civic. Filed a claim. Her fault. Wouldn't back-up alert in her vehicle ALERT her? Exterior and interior of my Civic still look like new. Model looks old and indicates its age.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, August 15, 2021 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Different systems do different things. One of our cars is GMC (wife’s) and the other Ford (mine). While the basics are the same there are slight differences. I rarely like almost never drive my wife’s car and as it is hers is brand new with less than a couple hundred miles on it so even she hasn’t fully experienced the full capabilities. As for my Ford I have not only the backup alert function but also automatic braking enabled. The car will literally not let me hit an obstacle when parking or backing up. Not sure my wife’s car has the same braking function though I suspect it does. Might add both cars also have forward looking “radar” and will brake the car if it senses the speed and distance to a vehicle ahead is too high or close. As for the lady who backed into Colordeagua, it is an assist system and the driver has to pay attention to it. No system overcomes dumb.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, August 15, 2021 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
For grins and giggles I went to the Honda website and looked at their driver assist package. They call it Honda Sensing and it appears it offers the full range of support like navigation, lane keeping, backup alerts, parking, etc., etc. Might be slight differences depending on the model and trim package for that model but looks like the basics are there and pretty much the same.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, August 15, 2021 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've got to go and at least look at Honda of Lisle where I bought my current Civic 25 years ago. Had / have no worries about "catching" covid, but being so housebound especially last year has done a number in my head. So used to staying home and staying inside it takes effort to do much of anything. I'm in the Chicago 'burbs. For a few weeks it's been hot and HUMID. That keeps me inside too. Beautiful day today. Forecast is hot and HUMID again.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, August 15, 2021 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Once you find the car you will be most comfortable with, then you can decide on which category of that car you want, and that is where the extras that are not standard start coming in. Those are the letters that follow the car name and model, like maybe X, XL, XLE, Sport, Platinum.

Heated seats could be an example of an add-on that comes with an upgraded model, and one you might want in Chicago. Perhaps heated seats are standard in an XL and above, but not an X. So, if they are a must, don't look at an X, only look at XL and above. You will get the hang of it after looking at a few cars, and I would think the salespeople could also furnish you a written summary of what equipment each of the models come with as standard. Certainly you could find it by Googling on the internet.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 18, 2021 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ditto what Juju said! My car was new in 2014. When I went in, I knew exactly what I wanted - my number one item being leather seats. They were standard on the "limited" model but so was the moon roof. Told my salesman I did NOT want the moon roof under any circumstances (I keep my cars at least 10 years and those suckers WILL leak by that point).

He said the only way to get my model without was to go with the "basic." OK, I asked if I could get the leather seats as an add-on. He had literally never been asked that before (and he'd been selling this brand of cars for over 5 years). He asked, it was possible, so I gave him my other "must haves" and "would like" list as well as the amount I could pay per month. Said if he could make it work, I'd buy. If not, I'd come back later when my downpayment was big enough to get the monthly payment where I needed it to be. No biggie, I knew what car I was going to get, just wasn't sure when.

No lie - in 15 minutes, I had a car for the price I wanted with the leather seats, all my "must haves" AND even in the color I wanted (which was a "would like" item). He still laughs when I bring my car in for maintenance and says, "You are still the fastest and most direct deal I've ever done!" :-)

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, August 18, 2021 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
When I bought my current 25 YO Civic I wanted a sun roof. So got the Civic XE. After the first few years didn't much use the sun roof. Afraid of leaking or problems getting it closed. No sun roof in the future. Waiting for it to cooler days here and humidity to go down. Too uncomfortable here to go out and do much of anything.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, August 18, 2021 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I also bought a new 2014 car. I didn't want a sun roof and didn't give a rat's whisker about fancy wheels but was very specific about other things including the color. I did end up with the fancy wheels and sunroof as those things came with my other requirements on what seems to have been the last car in the midwest meeting my standards. They had to drive to another city to get it. I insisted it be driven by a non smoker and any dealer info removed.
I love that car. It is nearly 7 years old and has less than 49,000 miles. The newer models are not nearly as nice as the 2014 although some of the tech may be updated.
The very young salesman was stunned and thrilled, I was his first sale and it was not a cheap car so I imagine he had a nice commission. He was expecting a baby soon and I think he was relieved and happy to have some cash coming to him.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 18, 2021 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
You are a mensch, Teach! I stand in awe.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 19, 2021 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I think I found someone here in the condo building to go car looking with me today or tomorrow. I know I want a hatchback. Fit which is no longer was always a hatchback. Found out not too long ago that Civics can now come as hatchbacks. Maybe that makes a Civic a letter category. I've always had two doors. Now I want four.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, August 19, 2021 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The Toyota Corolla has a nice hatchback, if you are looking beyond Honda.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 19, 2021 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Almost . . . . Went to Carmax this morning. Civics today are BIGGER than my '97 Civic. No Civic for me. Had a Fit on the lot for me to sit in. This can work. Then salesman suggested Honda HRV. They have an HRV Sport model on the lot -- 2019 one owner who leased, 13,000 miles, no sunroof , tinted windows, dark grey with black trim. (Most any color would work for me except red. Red is a deal breaker.) Get it next week and will take it to my mechanic of 35 years to have it checked. I almost have a new-to-me car. Carmax is good.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 19, 2021 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I thought I wouldn't hear from Carmax until next week. They can't sell a car now without having title / paperwork in hand. They didn't have it earlier today. Called. They have title now. I can get it tomorrow. I've got to get title for my Civic out of safe deposit box.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, August 19, 2021 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay Colordeagua!!!

(Bigdog and I LOVE red cars. He always keeps his shiny, and when I see a red sedan that looks gorgeous, while I am out driving in my gorgeous red Toyota RAV4, it often turns out to be my OWN, other red car, the Toyota Camry.)

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Friday, August 20, 2021 - 12:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Glad you liked Carmax! I was pleased with my purchase there also -

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, August 20, 2021 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
It's in my garage here. Got it in my space. Will I get it out of my space no. 13 OK?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Opinions here, please. The one thing about it I'm questioning -- it has tinted windows. I've talked to a very few friends / acquaintances and gotten positive and on negative side about tinted windows. Keeps it cooler in the car. So hot and HUMID here this summer. It not as easy to see clearly what's behind in the rear view mirror and outside generally. Whacha think??

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Both of our cars have tinted windows, wouldn’t have it any other way here in Texas. We have never had an issue driving day or night with tinted windows.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Happy to hear another positive, Mack. Definitely love the car. Don't want to exchange or return. One person said that I'll get used to it.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
the tint has never affected my view and we have limo tint on the back windows

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Pamy,

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Have driven cars with tinted windows since about 1975. You don't really notice them, and they don't obstruct your vision by much.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, August 21, 2021 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Juju2bigdog, More and more looks like it IS my car. Forgot to take the two magnets off the ol' Civic and put 'em on my car. Carmax has them.

Hot HUMID day here today (Saturday). Got some needed rain. I didn't go out. Sunday weather is forecasted lower temp and humidity. Back out of my parking space for first time. I kinda need some stuff from Target if nothing else.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, August 24, 2021 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I looked at CarMax Facebook page. Oh oh? There ARE negative comments which is what people tend to post. And there are a few positive which at this point is what I'd post, but going to wait a little. So far, so good. I see Tntltanfan was happy with her CarMax transaction. Anyone else positive or negative?

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, August 25, 2021 - 7:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I’ve heard mixed things about Carmax. As I recall they early on had a reputation for charging too much for their cars and then not standing behind their warranty. That doesn’t seem to be as prevalent today and I know my neighbor swears by them and buys all his cars there. Personally I prefer to go to a dealer to shop a specific brand and model. While I typically don’t buy used cars I would consider a certified used car with a factory warranty.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, August 25, 2021 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
So far so good. I'm basically on my own with all this. I might not look into everything I should beforehand. Having done well with my Civic for 25 years, knew I wanted Honda, same size as my Civic, hatchback, four doors = Fit. No longer made so buy used. Big first reason for used car. Then learned Honda now makes Civic with hatchback. Civic with hatchback is bigger than my ol' Civic. CarMax salesman was good at steering me to Honda HR-V. Very happy with that Honda model. My mechanic and his guy said they like CarMax. OK. And so I did it Friday.

When final paperwork was being done there Friday was talking about warranty (5 yrs / 75,000 miles). Asked if work is ever necessary does it have to be done there. No, if . . . . So I got on phone then with my mechanic. He talked with check-out person about warranty work. My mechanic can do it. That's good.

Last night when I couldn't sleep looked on CarMax, Carvana, etc. at Honda 2019 HR-Vs. Few I did see were similar in price with more miles. My mechanic will check it out tomorrow. Thinking positive that all will turn out well. (Trying to think that way.)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 25, 2021 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
You're gonna be fine, Colordeagua.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 26, 2021 - 4:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Color, getting a new to me car right now is such a good thing.

I had not even thought about the lack of cars and appliances due to COVID but a huge thread is going on NextDoor and many feel that anything made during COVID is likely to have flaws because of the whole situtation,not just parts but employees working through the pandemic with more on their minds than what they were manufacturing. Some report terrible problems with cars and appliances.

So the gold standard is good used items.

I keep hearing from Toyota about hydrogen fueled Toyotas. Well, hmm. They want my Prius. But I might consider hydrogen but the price is too high and I gather there are huge rebates on fuel but not enough.

There is a station with hydrogen pumps basically across the street from one edige of my complex, so fueling would be ok.

But the models they have are, to me, just really ugly.

I actually like my Prius C 2015. I like the red they had that year, I like the style of the car. I don't like any of the other Prius models, past or present.

I think it is great that you did get a bow. I never got one of those!!

Your car looks really nice. I'm sure it will be a pleasure to drive too.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 26, 2021 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Juju2bigdog

Seamonkey I didn't know -- bow is only for show. Saw it on the car -- OH BOY! Where am I going to keep that at home? Won't toss it. Does everyone get a bow on their car?

Just got car back from being checked out by my mechanic. All is good! . Drive it a little more over the next app week. Then go back to CarMax to really finalize everything. It's been a good experience.

Heat and humidity is in the forecast for the next week. ENOUGH ALREADY! Doesn't make me want to go out even in the a/c in the car. Do have to find a shady spot to sit with the manual in the car and figger stuff out. Tiny print in the manual and diagrams are pretty bad.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: