TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 27, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 27, 2020 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, October 23, 2020 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
KTVU
@KTVU
·
43m
MAKI UPDATE:
@sfzoo
says Maki, the ring-tailed lemur who was abducted, but then found safe and returned last week, is "chill-axing" again at his habitat at the Lipman Family Lemur Forest. Zoo officials say he's getting stronger by the day! Photos by Marianne Hale.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, October 24, 2020 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Want to "zoom" in on some of your fellow TVCHers? Check this out:

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/1187977/18728003.html&lm=1603517674

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, November 16, 2020 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
For those who use Zoom, Zoom has announced that the 40 minute limit has been dropped for Thanksgiving Day. So, Zoom away with family and friends for free.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, November 16, 2020 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Kooklie. Just sent it out to my over-55 community.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 22, 2020 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Product I found.... if you are trying to figure out what to do about a loved ones birthday or christmas that you can't spend time with try ...

Sendacake.com OMG, it is so cool. My sister and friend both loved their "exploding packages" so much. They raved about them.

And I didn't relaly know what kind of cake they would like and found that they offered bath bombs!!! The perfect thing for my friend and my sister, both who love baths (I don't get that part, LOL).

Anyway I wanted to share this site because I was just so pleased with the results.

You never know when you order stuff online if it will turn out like it looks and this did. They both loved the box it came in and I added some little exploding furtoys in one and butterflies in the other which were very appreciated by the furbabies in the homes.

Check it out!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, November 22, 2020 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
my son's gf made him one of those boxes and had it filled with pics. it was the coolest thing ever!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, November 22, 2020 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Great idea!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Tonight was the first time I watched the national news (David Muir) without turning it off or muting. How I have missed the normalcy of just watching the news.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I don't know where to put this. May be other places, but I'm here.

Oooooh. I've had my fridge / freezer for about 15 years. Brand on outside says Amana, but made by Maytag. (Maytag is family biz. Relatives in Newton, IA who worked for Maytag.) It's been making noises for few days. Went into freezer tonight. NOT frozen in there. Fridge is cold / cool. I like the fridge. Still humming / making noise. Can big kitchen appliance be fixed? Repairman got a good number of recommendations in a local Facebook group. Called and left a voice mail.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Well, if you lived in Portland, I’d tell you to use the Appliance Guys. They fixed mine. So, I’m sure there’s someone where you live that fixes them. Mine had a similar issue and they replaced, I think, a small part or something like that. Cost me about $200. It’s been working ever since.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Gives me hope. As I said, the fridge is cold / cool. It isn't dead. Still making noise / humming. Everything in the freezer is on the soft side.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bigdog fixed ours (Samsung) himself with a $10 part. I suggested he search our model on Google to identify the problem, then Youtube about how to fix it. I suspect you can find somebody to repair it. You can go on Nextdoor.com and probably find an appliance repairman recommended by others.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
I'm not a refrigerator repair man, but I do live in a pineapple under the sea!

sb

Sorry. Back to freezer issue.

I know 4 typical freezer parts that fail that I have replaced before. The first 2 occur most often and the last 2 I have done once each.
If you can do it yourself, it can be quite cheap. Repair labor charges probably add $100-200 or more. Big Dawg's $10 part would probably be $100-150 if diagnosed/installed by a repairman.

So, here are the parts:
  1. Defrost Timer
  2. Thermostat
  3. Heating Element
  4. Circulating Fan
Freezers seem to always be humming (don't know the words?) or making other noises. During defrost cycle you can hear popping or hissing as the heating element is actually melting frost off the coils. Then they start freezing, you may hear other sounds.

If your timer has failed, there are 2 possibilities.
  1. Failed in cooling mode
  2. Failed in defrost mode
If it failed in cooling mode (or if heating element was bad) you would build up frost, then ice and then it will not cool properly. You would likely see frost on inside of freezer.

If it failed in defrost mode, then you would not get cooling (or maybe inefficient cooling?).

Easiest thing you could test is the timer, maybe.
Timers are often found at bottom of unit behind a grill. Here's a picture of mine

timer

If you are a little handy, grab a flash light and maybe vacuum cleaner (it will be nasty behind grill. my pic is slightly cleaned up.) and look under unit. There are 2 things that are difficult here.
Second hardest thing, getting down on hands and knees and looking under unit.
Hardest thing. getting back up.
I survived!

There should be a knob that turns all the time. You can turn it by hand (clockwise, usually) to speed things up. There may be a notch in it so you can see when you complete a full circle.
My unit was cooling, so I began to turn the knob. After about 3/4 of a turn (270° for you math nerds) the unit stopped running.
This would be start of defrost cycle.
I turned it about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn (45° to 90°) and it came back on. Back to cooling.

Turn that knob! but slowly.
At some point you may hear a click and then maybe cooling fan and compressor will run.
Keep turning and you should hear another click.

If things go on and off with each full rotation, then it is a good chance your timer is bad.
You can also leave it with notch at top (12 o'clock) and come back in a few hours to see it if moved.

If you keep making circles and nothing happens, then next best bet is thermostat. If it is reading wrong, it will stop/limit cooling from happening.

But first, are you able to try to turn the timer?

Enquiring minds want to know?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I am definitely not a do it yourself person. No problem paying. Chuck Simec from Town & Country Appliance Repair in Dowers Grove did get good recommendations in the Facebook group. Thankful, Bob2112, that it should be fixable. When I got it, had learned not too long before that there's such a thing as a freezer drawer on the bottom. Love that as opposed to usual freezer with door on top. I got all new kitchen appliances at the time. I've been in this condo for almost 36 years. Came with (not new at the time) Kenmore appliances that don't die. They were harvest gold. After app. 20 years with 'em . . . I wanted WHITE!!

Thanks for all your help, Bob. With this and the computer a "few years" ago. Think I remember some weird problem with a screen? February '10 I switched to Apple. MacBook Pros ever since. And other Apple toys.

I do have another problem. Part of the problem is new outside management that's not lookin' too good. But my problem is my garage door opener does not work from inside my car with the motor on. Everyone has usual door opener. New battery in mine -- works fine from outside my car or inside with motor off. For couple months thought I was the only one. Now there may be someone else with same problem. I've talked to two good mechanics in town and Honda of Lisle where I bought my '97 Honda Civic new in '96. (Don't drive so much -- low miles.) None have heard of this. Any ideas?

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Thursday, November 26, 2020 - 11:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Here's a thought on management issue.

First you take the bottom off the new management.
Then you locate their knob (probably tiny), grab it and rotated it 360 degrees until they fix your garage door opener!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Repairman here between 11:00 and 12:00.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Chuck has come and gone. He IS a good guy. (No charge today.) Compressor is dead. That is more work than he does. Not really worth replacing compressor, but I like my fridge. He gave me place in Downers Grove that does that work -- Advantage Appliance. Left a voice mail there. In the meantime, look on-line at Abt.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Waiting for call from Advantage Appliance. I hope they can replace compressor. One or two choices at Abt. Don't like. Backordered into January / early 2021. Because of covid?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I think so Colordeagua, I had the same result looking for a dishwasher.

I think the manufacturing plants probably had to shut down some and then people didn't have anything to do so they started remodeling.

At least that is my theory, LOL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I don't use the dishwasher. Haven't turned on stove-top / oven for years. Year or so ago had to live without a microwave for a week! I like small kitchen appliances.

So it happens to the fridge! No fridge??!! How do I live without?

Order a mini fridge from Amazon? Live small for a while?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
It also depends on how old the appliance is. On my 15 yr old stove, the part needed was no longer available. However, you could send away to repair the part at about $450, but there was no guarantee that it would work for any length of time. After paying the service fee, I would have over $550 into the repair that was not a guarantee. So, I will be putting my money into a new stove. On a fridge, there’s no way I would wait 2-3 months for a part.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There are no fridges available? I was thinking you could get a deal today on a fridge.

As fond as I may be of an existing appliance, once they get to a certain age, it's better to just get a new one.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, that's basically what good repairman this morning said. (He didn't charge me for the coming here.) Not worth repairing. Costly to do it. Through the years have always said -- I LOVE my fridge! It's app. 15 years old.

I think it's a covid thing -- many things are not easily available including appliances. I love SodaStream. The carbonators can be difficult to get.

Heading off tomorrow with someone to Home Depot.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
If you can't get a new full size fridge you might be able to find one of those small ones to use until the big one comes in.

When I was looking for dishwashers the one I wanted wasn't available but a bunch of other brands were.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 27, 2020 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I'm thinking about that. Depending on how long I have to wait for big fridge, will get a little one. Found this on Amazon. Good reviews.