TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 31, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Daily Poll: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 31, 2020 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks! It was bloody expensive even on sale. But worth it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Yes - because I put my basket in front of the machine (front loader) so when the little buggers fall out, they go in the basket not on the floor! LOL

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
NEW Question

Do you own a leaf blower?

I don't but plan on getting one (or two).

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
No, we moved four years ago to an over-55, beautifully landscaped community, where we pay fairly hefty monthly condo fees and have a staff of three landscapers who wield leaf blowers with great frequency. If I need a leaf blower, I have connections.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 4:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
No.

I have a neighbor who has a leaf blower and does my yard for me sometimes.

I prefer the sound of a rake dragging over the ground.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yes, actually 2. An electric corded one and a cordless rechargeable one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I loathe the sound of leaf blowers! And those who use them seem to have a burning desire to use them at the earliest possible time of day that is legal, or perhaps earlier.

I am in a well landscaped community and we have gardeners and they seem to stretch out the noise over 4-5 days a week!

And the leaf blowers are used mostly to blow things off the walkways up on the grass, or dust from streets to the side.

Or just stir things up, so you face to close doors and windows.

They lead blow one day, use a noisy hedger one day, they edge loudly another and the piece de resistance is lawn mowing day! Oh, joy!

At least pruning is pretty quiet.

And the place is certainly well maintained.

Keep in mind that we don't have seasons that cause trees to drop leaves in great quantities here. When I lived in such a place, we raked them. As a kid, I had my own rake And my own snow shovel.

I do not have a leaf blower.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I own one. I have never used it. It's heavy, loud and runs on gas. I would rather rake or sweep. My dh used it.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I have two. One is corded and I have a 100 foot extension cord for it. I also have a battery powered blower. I got the battery powered last year and use it to quickly clean up around the pool, patio, and the garage. A lot easier than hauling out the corded model. I probably could get rid of the corded model. Neither make anywhere near the noise of a gas powered blower but I am sensitive to when I use either one. Never before 7:30-8:00 AM and rarely after 6 PM. I don’t use noisy power tools outside of any kind on Sunday.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
LOL, Seamonkey. I learned a little trick when we lived in the house with the steep freaking driveway on the steep freaking hill and Bigdog mowed the grass. I tried mowing the grass myself when Bigdog had both knees replaced at the same time, and even though it was a self-propelled mower, the lot was very hilly, and it was just NOT going to work having a 67 year old woman mowing it. So then I learned it was VERY soothing to hear somebody who was NOT a 67 year old woman out mowing grass, and once Bigdog got recovered, whenever I needed a daytime nap, I would ask him if the grass might by chance need mowing, and he would go out and mow loudly under my window, and I would go to sleep right away. Wednesday is mowing day where we live now. I try to remember to take a nap on Wednesday afternoons, LOL.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Mak1, people on NextDoor.com are just dying to buy gas powered leaf blowers from old ladies like us. Now, granted, I tend to sell things at excellent buyer prices, but what the heck? Why not make some young folks happy?

Which reminds me of selling my like-new 20 year old self-propelled vacuum cleaner a couple months ago. Let me go see if I chronicled it ...

Oh, look, I do have an e-mail I sent to a neighbor who also answered my NextDoor ad AFTER I committed to selling to a man who questioned me closely about whether I really did have the original owner's manual.

quote:

So a 70-ish couple showed up tonight for the 20-year-old, "almost new" vacuum cleaner. They were so thrilled silly it was almost comical. Wife confessed she has had this exact same model which SHE bought new just about 20 years ago, but unlike ours, she used hers heavily, and it is just about shot, but she loves it dearly. Husband said, "It feels like we just got a new puppy." They were giddy and thanked us profusely. I told them they could go home and play with their new puppy for several hours. LOL.

Oh, and the neighbor replied that was a cute story, and she at first felt happy that an elderly couple who really wanted and needed it got it, until she realized SHE is over 80!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mack! 7:30am? Yikes!

As for the comfort of not having to mow, I got over that many years ago. I pay association dues and the mowers are big and loud. The edgers edging long stretches of lawn as they hit the concrete walkways are like fingernails on a chalkboard, amplified.

I do keep ear plugs handy and close the window, sometimes turn the fan on high..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Other people hate on crows for being loud, but I like them.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh and NextDoor is definitely a place where you could give away an extra leaf blower!

Juju is the one who clued me in about NextDoor. Of course right now, NextDoor is explosive on issues of the day and of the year 😷, but then there are all the posts about coyotes!!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I like the crows they always let me know when something is going on that I might like to check out.

No leafblower here, I am in a condo, but I do think my neighbor has one in case we need it for protection from the goon squad!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, there is that use! You definitely want a cordless model for that!

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey-Our average lots here are around 1/2 acre so it’s not like we’re crowded or close. All my close neighbors work pretty much Monday through Friday. But anyhow I meant the very earliest I’d mow or power wash or run anything noisy would be 7:30 AM but I’m hardly mobile by that time so it doesn’t happen often. During the summer here you kind of do things relatively early in the morning while it’s only 80-85F.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 3:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That helps a lot!

Our rule is not before 9am, I think. And with shared grounds they get awfully close to my bedroom window.

My next door neighbor is a 911 operator on second shift so she sleeps later also.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the tip, Juju. Unfortunately no towns near me are listed on Nextdoor and I've never heard of anyone using it here. I think I will try to sell it and probably the gas lawn trimmer that I don't want to use.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yep, move that stuff on out, Mak1, even if it makes you cry. Give me the same advice if I ever need it.

Oh wait, gas-powered weed-eater story here! So we moved out of our house 3.5 years ago and into a condo townhome over-55 community. We have gardeners. We do NOT have to eat weeds. But the weed-eater did not get sold, nor did it get offered for sale, and moved with us, where it took up BIG space in the garage, and eventually fell heavily into a car door causing a HUGE expensive car door dent repair and STILL didn't get put up for sale or given away, until I finally blew my stack, and we put it up for sale on NextDoor (Craigslist works too, but is more scary), last year and some guy bought it immediately and was thrilled silly and insisted on paying more for it than we were asking. Buyer did not have a yard, lived in a condo or apartment, but he lived across the street from a school (or something) that badly needed weed-eating, and by golly, HE was going to do it!

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
gave mine to GS for his home

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
What movie have you watched more than once?

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Notebook. probably about five times

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hmmm, practically all the Star Treks, Star Wars and Harry Potter films.

Also really like The Holiday... I think that is the name, where Cameron Diaz goes to the UK and the other actress ends up in LA. I love that movie , I think it is Jack Black who is also in it and that old guy that gets the award in the end. Such a wonderful movie you would think I could remember the actors names, LOL.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Too many. All the Star Wars, Harry Potter films. Steel Magnolias, Jaws, Wizard of Oz, Grease, Thelma & Louise, lots more.