TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 21, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 21, 2020 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Grooch, I tried just now and am not finding a telephone number for Microsoft support. It's almost like they don't want you calling them.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 2:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Juju. You're a good dawg. :-)

I know! (About the phone number.) I finally was able to reset his password. I'm guessing after 24 hours he was allowed to try again.

And if I hadn't of read the first article I linked above, about the two different types of Microsoft accounts (work or personal) I would have registered him as a working account with office. It kept trying to get me to go that route.

Hopefully, I won't have to try to do this again for anybody for the next couple of years. And I put all his password info in a safe drawer where the dogs can't get the price of paper and eat it, like they did to me when I got my last computer.

I remember that fiasco/lesson! (If nothing else.)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, April 17, 2020 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My arrows have disappeared from my scrollbar. I don't know why. The app says it is still on my computer. Win7 Scrollbar. But it's not working, even though it says it is. I know this a minor matter, but it irritates me.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
To start with -- does anyone have an 800 number for Microsoft like AppleCare number? I am all Apple, but have MS Office:mac 2011 on my MacBook Pro. I use MS Word. Been on my MBPs since 2010 along with various iOS through the years. Over the past few weeks have had to upgrade Apple Watch and iPhone which means iOS upgrades. Finally came to my MBP. AppleCare told me MS Word 2011 won't work with Catalina, newest MBP upgrade which I need to do for new iPhone. But I don't know. Got it? HELP!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Looks like you'll have to get your Office upgraded?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yes, but "upgrade" anything is never easy especially if you're not techie and then worried about making a mess and losing documents, etc. There is (I think more likely WAS) a Microsoft store nearby in the same shopping center where Apple Store is -- just a few stores apart! I think all Microsoft stores are now permanently closed. Apple is open. Found MS store phone number on-line. Called. All recording -- eventually get to phone help. Extended wait time. Leave my phone number. Recording says will call me back in 26 minutes?! In the store they helped me about this product a few years ago. Hopefully again via phone.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Aaaaah. Got Microsoft help on the phone as good as AppleCare. My Office:mac 2011 is upgraded to 2019. Arjie in the Philippines did a remote -- downloaded and installed. My "world" is working again.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is awesome! :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay Arjie!!

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, July 17, 2020 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I can't view videos on PEACOCK TV in Chrome or Edge browsers. Windows 10 HP laptop. Please advise asap tyvm

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, July 17, 2020 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hi KL!! Long time, no see. I hope you are doing okay and keeping up to date on your laundry.

I had same thing with my laptop and nbc.com (which is apparently Peacock?) I concluded it was probably the result of a #$%^&*!@#!#$ Windows 10 update, and Microsoft would probably correct it some day with some future update. So I just downloaded and installed Firefox, which I normally hate, and used it only for nbc.com, and it worked JUST FINE. If that doesn't work, you could try downloading Opera, or if you have a tablet, it will likely work on there.

So I just used Firefox to binge-watch This Is Us during Covid-19 isolation, and a couple weeks ago got a big Windows 10 update, and decided to see if I could now watch nbc.com on Chrome, and sure enough, I could.

So, don't stress too much. Dont be doing a bunch of wacky stuff to your laptop. It is them, not you. See if you can find a work-around, and check back on Edge and Chrome every now and then to see if it has magically been corrected by another Windows 10 update. Ohhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Keep the baby, Faith! Your friend Juju.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I've tried Firefox and Opera without success. Peacock sent me an email saying try another browser and clear your cache which I've already done. Speaking of Windows 10 I tried installing version 2004 via windows update but it didn't stick. Thoughts? thanx for your promptness

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The new Edge that comes with the 2004 upgrade is the only place I can get PeacockTV to play. I also looked around online, and that seems to be the most common situation. Works in the new Edge, but not Firefox.

Bob2112

06-12-2002

Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bob2112 a private message Print Post    
Hey Ketchup! Still playing lots of chess?

Do you have Xfinity/Comcast for internet access?

Anyone with Xfinity internet (don't need tv service) can get an Xfinity Flex for free and it includes free access to Peacock Premium (usually $5/month). I guess being Comcast NBC Universal means you can give it away.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/flex

Check out the link. We requested a week ago Friday and received it on Tuesday. Basically works like Fire stick (or similar devices) and comes with voice remote. It seems to support all the other streaming services.

I guess NBC Universal owns Bravo and they suddenly pulled Below Deck from the steaming line up My daughter was watching and after a couple of weeks found it was on Peacock and then saw the Flex deal. I guess they must have pulled a bunch of content to launch their new channel.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, July 20, 2020 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Just a quick point about Flex. Here is a quote from the xFinity page.

"Our best TV experience, X1, can do everything Flex can —and more. "

So according to comcast/xfinity themselves, if you have X1 (and I do), you don't really need Flex.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, July 20, 2020 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
This the correct thread for this question or where about my network / wifi in general?

There's just me in this one bedroom 2nd floor condo. I stream. Don't have much problems with buffering. Sometimes, but not bad. Knock on wood. What in here effects that? ISP is ATT U-verse / fiber optics / 17 Mbps. (Or is it MBps?) If it matters fiber optics cable goes to some place just outside this 50 YO building. Then data goes on old telephone lines threaded in the building. (My LL is phone of preference.) Computer is on network of course. Would how many windows open at one time effect streaming? I have 2-3 Amazon Echo Shows, Fire tablet, iPad, Kindle. What all effects streaming? It is not bad, but is there anything I could easily do? Or is it really just these covid times when "the world" is doing more streaming?

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, July 20, 2020 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info guys :-)

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, July 20, 2020 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The main thing that impacts streaming is how many devices are doing it simultaneously. So if you have a family using a network and one person is watching Netflix, someone else is watching Amazon and someone else is looking at YouTube that will slow things down.

With respect to WiFi, the closer you are to the modem/router and the fewer the obstacles between you and the router, the better the signal. Also, running a microwave can create interference.

If you are close to the modem/router and you can use the 5 GHz band, you'll get better speed.

There is also more stress on networks right now with more people using them at home.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, July 20, 2020 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Only me here -- one streamer streaming.

"The closer you are to the modem/router and the fewer the obstacles between you and the router...." Is "you" me? Or between router/modem and what?

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Monday, July 20, 2020 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I've installed version 2004 ... not as fast as 1909 :-(

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The closer the device you’re using is to the modem/router and the fewer obstacles (like walls) between the device you’re using and the modem/router, the better the signal and speed.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Hmmm. Certainly distance from modem / router to all TV stuff is not far -- both in the living room. Things between -- there isn't a totally direct shot between. Modem / router is sort of hidden a little by a piece of furniture.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That shouldn't make much difference then. Perhaps you could try running something like Speedtest and see what speed you are getting? Be sure to let the page fully load and then only click where it says "GO"

https://www.speedtest.net/

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I reinstalled Edge browser after "upgrading" to v.2004...I didn't see an Edge browser being part of v.2004...........tried Peacock again...failed again

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
18.32 Mbps. Pay for 17. Hadn't checked it for a long time, but when I have always has been right around 17.