TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 13, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through April 13, 2020 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have not ordered food. I hear, often, that the various services are not so fast these days.

My sister in law in northern California orders from Wal-Mart and drives there, pops the trunk, they load in the groceries and off she goes. She says produce is hit or miss.

So far I have shopped in person. But I order my Wonderful Pistachios from Amazon.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bigdog was also quite surprised to find out that flour was one of the items missing from the store shelves (I would never have noticed). Luckily he had bought from the bulk bins at Winco before we departed for the cruise in Feb. Who would have guessed that that many people are baking?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They suddenly added whole wheat flour at about 6.30pm my time, and by 8pm it was gone. I have about half a bag of whole wheat flour left, so it's white I'm going for and I didn't grab it. Holding out! They also had quite a bit of toilet paper during the afternoon.

I wondered what people were baking too. Pancakes maybe? Bread is still quite easy to find around here, so I wouldn't have thought it was that. Plus people these days seem to think carbs are a no-no.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 1:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Not me!

I heard that people were hoarding pet food!

I went to get another bag of Orijen for Katniss.. No problem, but they said basically people have been buying canned dog food for some time.. And it is human grade..

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I think people are baking cookies and cakes, not so much bread.

Although I did hear a crack about how people are finally getting around to using their bread-making machines, LOL.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I now have flour AND toilet paper in my cart. But when I check out there are ZERO delivery spots in the next four weeks. Not one. And you can't checkout and pick a spot later, it's all one process. It says new slots appear throughout the day so I guess I keep on attempting to get one until they take the flour back out of my cart.

They must appear at some point or else how are things appearing sold out, if no one is able to checkout?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
True confession here - I used my bread machine for the first time since I've been sequestered.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
:-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, consider that they need people to deliver, but those people are at some risk. Could be that the pool of delivery people is diminishing?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Lazy Dog to go, free delivery over $25.

Link

Lazy Dog Pantry

https://lazydogrestaurants.myshopify.com/collections/huntington-beach-1

These are the several kits available from my local Lazy Dog.

Link

For other locations.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Some of the stores have run out of yeast around here.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They've been hiring drivers, so I think they still have more than normal, it's just there are so many people here and so many of them are trying delivery.

I've been checking every little while for new slots and haven't seen any so far. And when they do open new slots I don't know if they mean at the end of the full four weeks, or if there will be some sooner. I'll keep trying today and if it doesn't work out I just have to do without.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I found that if you try for spots in the early AM, like maybe 12.30am you might have better luck.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Door Dash has free delivery from some restaurants today and the weekend. I went to look and one of my fav's, Black Bear Diner has some pretty good packages for 3-4 families, and I saw a quite reasonable Easter Dinner that can be delivered.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I don't have any say over spots, it just says "no delivery windows are available" for every single day between now and the end of the list (early May).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Told a friend my flour plight, and she has three bags, so she's giving me one of hers, yey! So giving up on Amazon Fresh, I guess it's just too busy in my area.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

I found that if you try for spots in the early AM, like maybe 12.30am you might have better luck.

I heard same thing around here, except it was that there are no pick up slots, but if you wait until midnight, you can get one from the next opening slots.

Neighbor here had tried unsuccessfully to do pick-up ($5 fee), but had placed a delivery order and got it same day in two hours ($9)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, April 10, 2020 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh I see what you mean, I thought Dipo meant actual delivery at 12.30. If I remember I'll have a peek after midnight and see if I could have chosen one.

Oh, just checked my cart, and both the flour and toilet paper have been nabbed since I gave up at about 6pm. Which I presume means slots opened for others to be able to finalise their checkout. Maybe the stock is for several areas, but their delivery areas are smaller, so someone from a luckier delivery area took them. Or maybe I just missed a batch of open slots.

Luckily I'm doing my bag of flour for a some butternut squash seedlings exchange tomorrow, so I'm good :-).

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 12, 2020 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Walmart actually had toilet paper today. It probably won't last long. I was only able to get one pound of hamburger. It was the first time they had tp since all of this started.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 13, 2020 - 6:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
What the heck are people doing with all that toilet paper? My WalMart is still out! Fortunately I have not needed to purchase any but this is beyond stupid.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, April 13, 2020 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So true Roxip, they have now started in on flour and eggs.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, April 13, 2020 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I read something about the toilet paper shortage, might have actually been linked to from here, if so my apologies.

It said people are using a lot more toilet paper at home, because they're home for an extra 8-10 hours a day. Usually they would use their employer's/school's/??'s toilet paper, but now they have to use their own.

What makes that a supply issue is that public buildings don't buy toilet paper that's as high a quality as home toilet paper, and it's not packaged the same way. Usually commercial toilet paper is sold in palettes of individual rolls, or sometimes those giant rolls.

So the toilet paper issue isn't actually a hording problem (or not just a hording problem), the manufacturers didn't have stock piles of regular toilet paper, and they aren't set up to produce it at a rate of up to double the normal demand (as we have approximately double the awake time at home).

So the toilet paper shortage is actually a real thing.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Monday, April 13, 2020 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
What's causing all the other shortages?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, April 13, 2020 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
the diner in my building at work has created a make shift store in the dining area. They are able to order from restaurant supply houses so they are selling TP and some of the other goods that are in low supply...very kind and smart of them :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 13, 2020 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Good on your building diner, Pamy. And it must be such a relief to the building workers.