TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 09, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through April 09, 2020 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think you are right. You could contact the manufacturer and order a new remote but I suspect you paid out the you know what for it. Or there were those big clunky universal remotes which worked but always ended up falling to the floor or getting stepped on and broken.

Some things about technology suck, but this is not one of them...LOL!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
When I bought my first color tv, a 15" Sony, a remote was an extra $100. No way was I buying that!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My mom died in '96. She thought best invention ever was TV remote!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
When that tv was taken in a burglary in the early 80s, I got a 17 inch Sony, with a remote.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
My replacement remote cost $7.99. And it was a genuine remote. One of the very few things in life where the cost went down :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I remember buying my first VCR in 1983. It cost $695 and it had a remote - with a wire.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You were cutting edge there, Roxip!

Electronics are one of the few things that are getting less expensive. Just don't try to buy a nice steak!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
LOL...now you can hardly find a VCR.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I switched from VCR to DVR in May '04. Love my TiVo!

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, November 01, 2019 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Finally had to give up keeping a VCR in my theater room because it was no longer compatible with the home theater receiver that pretty much controls the whole system. Technology finally caught up and there’s no easy way to feed the VCR output to the system. Truth is we have very few VHS tapes left other than my wife’s collection of Disney movies she had before we married. As for DVRs, we love them! We have two main DVRs and pretty much record all of our favorite TV shows to watch them at our leisure. Outside of live sports events we watch very little in “real time”.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, November 01, 2019 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I can't think of a single thing I watch in "real time" anymore unless I'm just snoozing on a weekend afternoon and turn on the television as background noise. I think I have a box of old tapes (daughter's childhood...LOL) in the attic but probably should just discard them. Anything personal I should probably get converted to digital (Christmas morning with the family, etc.)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
How likely is it that I got someone else's email by mistake? I received an email from paypal saying that I had sent a payment to a company I've never heard of today. I have not ordered anything today. I checked my paypal account and it has not showed up there yet for me to dispute it. I forwarded the email to paypal and told them it is a mistake. I did not order anything. There is nothing listed in my activity to dispute, as of yet. And yet, it says I have 24 hours to do something.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Sounds like a hoax email. But it's good you forwarded it to Paypal. They like to be alerted about the new ones going around.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know what the difference is between black and white anchovies?

I was in a restaurant yesterday and after the couple sitting behind me ordered, the waiter came back and told them that they were out of white anchovies and only had black. He asked if that was ok. The man said yes, at first, then he changed his mind and wanted to see the menu again.

It's a new one for me.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
White anchovies are much milder. I prefer the black.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Huh!! Who knew? Just Naja.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, April 03, 2020 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
My mom wants to send out some e-cards and asked me to recommend some sites. I have no clue so delegated my dd but apparently all the sites she sent want a credit card. First 10 free then $. Anyone know a good site that doesn’t require a credit card and also won’t spam her until the end of time? Thx in advance !!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, April 03, 2020 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I liked Hallmark, but they do have an annual fee. Haven't heard of any that are totally free.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 06, 2020 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Mattress recommendations? I was having new flooring put in my bedroom this weekend and had my box springs out in the garage and a stray cat unerringly managed to get inside and spray...needless to say I'm not even going to try and get that smell out (not to mention that my mattress and box springs are probably 15 years old at least). I have put off buying new for several years because my bed was just so comfy, but I guess the time is now...are mattress stores essential (I really have been sheltering in place but I'm not going to sleep on a stinky bed!)?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Has anyone used Amazon Fresh?

I haven't been able to find flour, but Amazon Fresh has it. Or did. I had it in my cart, but by the time I'd found $35 to get free shipping it had gone. I now have a cart that will be over $35, so I'll just keep checking back and when they have flour again I'll add it and checkout.

My question:

Once I order with Amazon Fresh, do I get everything I ordered?

What I don't want is for them to deliver the filler items I ordered, with a note saying flour was out of stock, when really I'm only ordering for the flour.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 2:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Kitt, check out Wal-Mart. I think they have free shipping over a certain amount too.

Now I don't feel so stupid buying that 25 pound bag of king arthur flour at Costco for something like $8 when this all started.

I just checked and they don't have any normal flour in stock. Who knew flour was going to be like toilet paper?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 4:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I placed my first Amazon Fresh order recently and received it yesterday. Can't answer your question, but wondered about that myself. Mostly placed it to get TP. I got everything I ordered, but one item (3 of them) was incorrect. The photo and description of the item page showed 20 oz. can, but I received 15.25 oz. cans. Easy to contact Amazon via chat about it. Getting refund for 3 cans.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Locally here, I haven't been able to get Amazon Fresh, or any other grocery delivery services ..never any time slots available.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'd heard Target and Walmart were offering pickup or delivery but leaving missing items out, which is why I thought I would try Amazon Fresh. Their FAQ says they will substitute if they have to, but I wondered if it was different at the moment. I know they're delivering around me, as I see the delivery guy with the silver cold bags, but I don't know how long it took those people to get a slot.

This morning there's still no flour in stock for Amazon Fresh, but it is in stock for Whole Foods shop via Amazon?! I thought they were the same! Looks like Amazon Fresh uses Whole Foods for some items, but adds in more regular brands, so I can't make up a full $35 cart for Whole Foods (to get free shipping). I'll just have to keep checking back for Fresh.

Thanks for the replies. I'll report back if I ever do get to order!