TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 23, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 23, 2020 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 2:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Juju, How do you know if it's a bot? I don't know how to figure that out. I mean I don't have a lot of followers and did not know that is a clue. I don't really care about followers, LOL, I just have fun on twitter.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I finally installed Bot Sentinel, which is also a Chrome extension. I really like it, and it is apparently also available in other applications. Let me see - search Twitter for BotSentinel and go to its Twitter page. Then click any one of its posts that says so and so suspended, and look on the left side, and you should be able find a way there to use it yourself. If you are just playing around with Big Brother, and not in the political threads, the bots have no interest in you, and you won't need it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, ok, I actually follow a couple of "political" things but not that many. Thanks.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I HATE the new Twitter, but I hate Chrome more. It drives me bat-sh*t crazy that the entire right 1/3 of my screen is all stuff I don't even look at.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Teach, I think there are extensions for all of the popular browsers if you do that generic thing I suggested for Dipo. If you make it to their dashboard, you will figure out if they have a solution that is best for you. Betcha they are eventually going to put flashing advertisements down that BIG wasted space on the right side of the screen.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem or is it something to do with my computer.

For the last month, I have been plagued with seeing parts of posts being missing. I will be reading along and suddenly, mid sentence, there will be nothing. When the poster starts a new paragraph, the post will continue. If there is no new paragraph, then there is no end to the post.

Example: In my last paragraph, I noted that I was having a problem with posts dropping off mid sentence. So if anyone could

And that would be the end of the message.

I guess I should report it in the feedback forum, but I thought I would ask here first.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It sounds like the page isn’t loading completely. Have you noticed this with any other websites? Have you tried restarting your computer? You could also try clearing your browser cache.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Only does it on TVCH. I have cleared browser and restarted. Still does it. Not on every post but randomly. mostly in News and Views, but have seen it a couple of times in other sections of TVCH.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Thursday, October 24, 2019 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Not a problem, I hope, but more of a question. For the past 3 or 4 months, every time I'd go to shut down my laptop I'd get a pop up to update Java. I've been ignoring it. A few nights ago I finally decided to do it.

The update was from Iolo Technologies. I clicked "install update" and got a message saying that the old version of Java had to be uninstalled before the update could be done. So I clicked on okay to uninstall the old version.

I got a message saying the old version was uninstalled and then the whole thing just disappeared from the screen and nothing further happened, no update. Now I don't think I have any Java at all, can't find it anywhere in the laptop's files as existing on the laptop and it used to be there. Tried finding the update again, to try the update one more time, and the update doesn’t seem to exist either.

It's an older Dell, maybe 7 or 8 years old and it's gotten slow. The odd thing is, since this uninstall of Java the laptop is running so much better, faster in every way, and I've found no issues with anything I do on the laptop which would be... a lot of shopping and email and every now and then a game of Scrabble against a robot or jigsaw puzzle on Jigidi. That's pretty much it. I don’t do social media of any kind. I don’t even come to TVCH on my laptop, only on my desktop PC.

I'm pretty close to techno-ignorant. I don't even know what Java does but so far it doesn't seem that I need it to do the things I listed above and the laptop definitely seems to be operating better and faster without it.

Is there some reason that I’m not seeing that I should have Java on my laptop?

Thank you. 

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, October 24, 2019 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Not an expert, but you probably don't need it at all. It had some security issues and people moved away from it, so you'll find fewer and fewer instances of it being used. At this stage, you're probably better off without it.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, October 24, 2019 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Like Kitt, I dimly recall 4-5 years there were warnings out that ordinary users should consider disabling Java on their PC's. I remember checking mine at the time and finding out it was already disabled. As far as I know, I have never needed it in the meantime. So I wouldn't worry about it, LittleB, especially if it has speeded up your machine by uninstalling it.

Where is SpongeBob2112 when we need him?

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Friday, October 25, 2019 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Kitt & Juju! I really appreciate the info & I'm going to listen to & agree with both of you, I'm better off & won't worry about it. It does seem to have been a good thing. Thanks again!

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
What is the name of the system that automatically inserts your credit card information with Windows 10?

I think I accidentally clicked on wrong thing when it(?) popped up and I want to cancel that incorrect click.

The payment side of Doordash no longer is available for me to scrutinize or change because the darn system is doing everything.

What do I google?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Do you mean in the browser system?
Chrome has "autofill" in settings:
chrome://settings/

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
I think it is from Windows 10 Edge?

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
thank you! "autofill" gave me the necessary clue.

I am searching Windows 10 Edge and have located autofill.

thanks again. I just could not remember "autofill".

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Victory!

Reset Edge which deleted my mistake and now my credit card information is not automatically entered.

It was annoying also to have the computer enter a credit card when I wanted to use a different one.

"auto-fill" lol

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay Supertech, Rosie!!! <leaps into Rosie's lap>

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
No medals yet. When I deleted previous settings and the autofill, the Door Dash was cleared. However, several other sites are now skewed. Not going to work on them yet. Just happy that Doordash is fixed.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yesterday I was on some website, and it kept trying to distract my attention with flashing ads I had to keep closing, and I remembered I think it was Kitt saying Firefox has a Page Reader mode that will let you just read without distractions. So I Googled to see if Chrome has such an option, and it does! I followed these instructions:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enable-reader-mode-in-chrome/

And it works great!! You just follow the instructions and make the add-on to Chrome's properties. To enable the reader mode, which Chrome calls Distilled Page Contents, you click on the three dots in the upper right when you are on a page that is too busy with distractions, then look down in that list to find Distilled Page Contents. Click it, and voila! all the distractions disappear.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Actually, it was me, Juju :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Naja. I would never have thought to try it if you hadn't mentioned you use it for Firefox. I have learned lots of good stuff from you over the years.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Those flashing things on an article make it a pain to read. I didn't realize until not too long ago that Apple, meaning Safari, has the page reader. Click on the thing in the web address window. I guess it's been there at least for some time, but I didn't know it.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, February 10, 2020 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, C'd'A, did not know that either.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, February 23, 2020 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
All of a sudden my Comcast email is showing up as Not Secure. Is this a problem?

I have McAfee and Malwarebytes set up so I am thinking it is probably ok, but think it is so odd.