TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 03, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 03, 2020 users admin

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Our single side has it's own little basket that you can put regular coffee in, we don't use the cups

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I would only use the refillable cups... since most of the pods are WAY too strong for my tastes.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I bought a single cup Keurig for my daughter when she went off to college, and then it stayed home with me the year she had three roommates and she took my larger Keurig. I really liked it (she has now repossessed it and I have a big Keurig again). I tried the reusable cups but wasn't that fond of them. I buy HEB Houston blend K-cups - a total addiction and a total problem because there is not an HEB within 50 miles of me (right now my daughter brings me a box when she comes home from college (there is an HEB in Stephenville, Texas) but I don't know what we are going to do when she graduates in May!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The single use Keurig cups are recyclable.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I bought a coffee maker that has a coffee pot side and a single cup side. It even came with a commuter cup to go on the single cup side. I don't have to use single cup pods because it has a tiny little filter area for a scoop of coffee.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I read an article several years ago about the guy who invented the K-cup... he now regrets his idea because of the wastefulness of the pods.

I can't get over single use plastic...

Glad to know they are slowly converting to recyclable plastic... but how many people will go to the trouble of dumping the grinds and rinsing the pod before recycling?

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Christy and Lakecat, you can start a TVCH Meet-UP in your own towns.

Post the area you want to have your meet on this board and see if anyone is close enough to that area to join you.

Good luck!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Rosie! Were you the one asking about the "My Pillow"?

I was at a get together last week and somebody brought up pillows. My brother said he used to have them. He liked them at first but said it didn't last long. He says he now has the "Sleepgram" pillow and swears it's the best pillow in the world. I never heard of them before but the pillow has 2 inserts that you can arrange/adjust them to make it the perfect pillow for you.

Here's a Link

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
wow. thank you and what a great memory you have.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the compliment. I need it after forgetting to go to work today.

But, maybe I'm just more interested in pillows than work. :-)

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
you made me burst out laughing

poor grooch

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    

Well, my boss asked me (last week) to switch my day off as I was walking out the door for the day. He really should have reminded me.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Funny,the two things I lost during my move were the My Oillows and my Kuerig. I bought another kuerig and the quality is nothing like my first one...at all. They cheaped out. I Like My Pillow but not enough to buy more. I kept thinking they’d turn up but we’ve emptied all the boxes.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We had a $600 semi-professional espresso machine that a friend of Bigdog's got at Goodwill for $20 and gave to us. $100 later and two trips to Seattle (180 mi. R/T) for parts, and we had a super espresso machine for about 12-13 years, and I got freshly brewed lattes every day. It didn't fare well in the 2016 move to a one-storey house, and no more espresso. Last summer, Costco had a very good discount on a Keurig single-cup espresso machine with the most amazing milk foamer, and I am back drinking lattes at home. It does use the plastic single-use cups, and we DO religiously tear out the filter insert and dump out the coffee and recycle the plastic, but it also came with a stainless steel single-brew coffee pod, and it makes good coffee with that as well. If we find ourselves getting lazy with plastic pods, we will go to using the stainless steel pod.

If you are concerned about the cost of the plastic cups, check to see if you have a Grocery Outlet anywhere nearby. It is a wonderfully quirky employee owned store that is like a treasure hunt on each visit. You never know what you will find, and a great bargain on plastic coffee pods is often one of their bargains.

Hells bells, a mosquito just floated/flew past my screen!!! I am in the Pacific northwest; we had 17 degree temperatures a couple weeks ago.

I am one of those super-taster people. I have like fifty times the number of taste buds most people have, and I can detect a nanogram of cilantro or rosemary in anything (I know, they apparently taste just fine to everybody else, but to me they taste just like poison). BUT, one of the things I am NOT a super-taster of is coffee. There is probably a scientific explanation for that. I could not begin to decide which brand I like best. They all just taste coffee-ish. Well, I quit black coffee years ago and now put milk in, so that could be part of it. So I am just fine with Grocery Outlet 180 pods for $30, LOL.

Where were we?

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, January 31, 2020 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I’m not sure if Hills Bro brand coffee is everywhere,but their pods are recyclable.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 31, 2020 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Recyclable items all too often do not get recycled.

The inventor..

https://money.cnn.com/2015/03/04/news/k-cups-keurig-inventor-regrets/index.html

That was 5 years ago.

Sounds like recycling is labor intensive.

https://m.wikihow.com/Recycle-K-Cups

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 31, 2020 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
SFBay Coffee has very competively priced one-cups that are biodegradable and very little plastic. Event the packaging the cups come in is biodegradable. At home we have a Ninja bar that I adore, and it has a permanent filter. School, though, is not conducive to permanent filters. We've been very happy with the coffee beans for the Ninja too, and their subscription service offers a discount and free shipping. https://sfbaycoffee.com/shop.html
(NO - I don't work for them! LOL)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, January 31, 2020 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Good stuff, Teach! Haven't seen you in a while. So happy to know you are still with us. (Unless it is me, and you post five times a day)

Seamonkey, your second link is exactly what we do with our K-cups, and yes, it is labor-intensive, but Bigdog and I will be fine if disposable K-cups get banned when we solve climate change, if we do, before we all get climate-changed to death.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
All that stuff in that link about washing with soap and water and drying overnight to avoid bacterial growth. I’ve never heard of doing that with any recycled item. Rinse it sure, but not all that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I was surprised about the layers and about not using them to grow a seedling for something to be eaten.

I do not drink coffee at all, so I had no idea.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I was thinking more of the plastic in the ocean.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Moved post about Survivor to here.

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/9204/21116722.html&lm=1580833223

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I think that link was mixing recycling as we think of it and what I would call "repurposing" , so they thought those little cups could be reused, or included in arts & crafts. I think that is why they included all those steps in there.

Maybe.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 03, 2020 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Looking online, I feel like I must be the only one who did not care for the Super Bowl halftime show. A lot of the comments that I read were from men who alluded that they were all "hot and bothered" at the end of the performance. While it was all about the Latin culture, I thought there was too much gyrating and JLo crotch shots to make me enjoy it. Clearly, it aimed to be sexy, but it really seemed to go overboard. I will admit that I'm not a fan of either singer, but if I had to chose, I thought Shakira was better. It seemed like JLo was trying to put too many 'messages' into the show and prove that a 50 year old can be sexy.

Full disclosure, I didn't like when Beyoncé was the halftime performance either. Again, the gyrating and hair slinging turned me off.

Prince, U2 and Bruno Mars are still my favorite halftimes.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 03, 2020 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The only part of the Super Bowl that I watched was the halftime - and while I agree that it was a little too much gratuitous crotch shots (not to mention pole dancing) for a potentially young audience, I was in total admiration at how amazing both Shakira and J Lo looked (and I agree that Shakira was a much more compelling performer and her hair is almost like a separate character in itself!). I kind of tuned out before the end of the performance so was sorry I missed J Lo's daughter whom I hear stole the show. I just didn't think there was anything special about it.