TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 18, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 18, 2020 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Me too, I love turbo tax.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
This is a weird one... I am trying to contact a law firm that was in operation in North Dakota 100 years ago. It was the firm of Johnson and Nestos. Nestos went on to become governor. I am not sure if the firm just shut down or switched names/evolved over the years. My question is... would there be a way to find out if the firm exists in any form and more importantly for me.... where would the files be kept? If firm was shut down, where do I go next? Thanks!!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Law firms are just partnerships. As people pass on, the partnership may evolve into another partnership or it may expand into new partnership combinations. I googled and found that Nestos eventually became partners in another firm, Nestos and Herigstad.

Link to Google books

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Rissa... You might want to start with a call or an email to the ND State Historical Society. Historical societies are a wealth of information. On their website, they have a page on Nestos & here's that link which includes their contact info...

https://www.history.nd.gov/exhibits/governors/
governors13.html

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
And Pringle and Herigstad still exist, and in ND. You might want to try them.

https://www.pringlelaw.net/about-our-firm/

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Also, if you are looking for county records (i.e. probate, civil, etc. You might try a public record search in North Dakota. I don't know if it costs anything, but not sure what you are looking for or how far back you need to go.

https://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/default.aspx

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
How about contacting the State Bar Association of North Dakota State?

https://www.sband.org/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 13, 2020 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: Does anyone have any experience or know anything about those "moving chairs" that can be installed outside on staircases?

I have a friend who thinks she needs one and her family isn't quite sure how to decide what company to use so I told them I would ask around.

Off to google.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 13, 2020 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Dipo, check with Weinermr. They have one, or did have one.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, January 13, 2020 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, you or the friend should also ask on NextDoor.com.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 13, 2020 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh, that's a good idea, thanks.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
You guys rock!!! Thank you. Will try all those links.

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
Dipo, we’ve had very good luck with Acorn stairlifts. They’re very reliable. They’re sometimes marketed under a different name but they’re manufactured by Acorn. www.acornstairlifts.com

Our first Acorn stairlift lasted 16 years until the motor started dying so we got a new one, which is working fine. Good luck to you.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you so much Weinermr, all my research has shown Acorn is probably the best. I will forward the information.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Question re Canada geography / travel: I've been to Canada three times (technically four). First time was in '54. We were visiting relatives in Seattle. I kind of remember going to Victoria via a ferry and having tea, a little to eat in a fancy restaurant / tearoom? Does that make sense?

Probably during early '60s while we were on the usual fishing vacation in central Minnesota, dad drove us over the border into Canada. That would have been into Ontario? Didn't go too far. I think we drove a ways along north shore of Lake Superior and then turned north. Where would we have likely crossed? What's names of bigger towns not too far north of the border? Think I'd know if I saw name. (Not that it matters.)

And then in the early '80s went through Michigan over the border into Canada. Crossed at Windsor? We stopped at a tollway rest stop (?). We went a little ways and then I remembered I'd left my purse at the stop. Noooo. Oh well. Then into New York. Had to go back the way we came (not because of purse) so back into Canada (fourth time). Stopped at the rest stop. Purse was there with everything in it. Thank you, Canadians. Good people as we know.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
The tea in Victoria was probably at the famous Empress Hotel (now a Fairmont Hotel). They have a tea service on a regular basis. I've been to it even though I can't stand tea. They cut the crusts off their cucumber sandwiches and had the largest blueberries I have ever seen to this day.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Kookliebird. Does sound vaguely familiar. I was 7 YO at the time. Roundtrip on the train Chicago - Seattle. I remember riding in the dome car.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
Colordeagua, from Minnesota, you most likely crossed into Saskatchewan.
In Windsor, that's where I live, did you cross the bridge or the tunnel?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Pretty sure it was the bridge.

Looking at a map of Canada, looks like we would have gone into Ontario. Drove along northern shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota a ways and then turned north. Saskatchewan is above Montana and North Dakota.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Agree with Kooklie. I think Colordeagua can safely say she has had high tea at The Empress Hotel, which is a world-famous thing to do and still is all these years later. We now live across the water from Victoria, so have been several times. Before we were going to Victoria, and I was researching it, it seemed like everybody always gave directions in relation to where it was from The Empress Hotel. I thought id decidedly odd. Once we went there, I understood why. It is massive, right on the harbour, and very impressive.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, January 17, 2020 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I got to stay there once for free! I placed 2nd in an Alaska Airlines photography contest and could pick between staying at the Empress and another city. Because we didn't have to pay for the room, we could afford the high tea. The rooms were small but wonderfully appointed. It was so exciting to roam around and look at all the history in the building. Love Victoria.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, January 17, 2020 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have never been to the high tea, by the way, although I think it was a mere $38 per person first time we went to Victoria.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
High Teas average 40-60 dollars pp. But I always find great deals with groupon, where I pay 25-35 pp.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Juju. I didn’t make much money then, so I was always on a strict budget. Now, I probably wouldn’t even flinch at paying that. It was very fun.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
The 38 dollars was probably 19 or so years ago. Just looked it up. It is now $82, $115 if you want a glass of Veuve Clicquot champagne with it, LOL.