TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 05, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 05, 2019 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Ha,ha. The slang urban dictionary meaning of TV Clubhouse.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tv%20clubhouse
I wonder if the originator knew this?

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The way it works is tvclubhouse was here first, then a disgruntled poster or someone just being silly entered the definition to the website. Anyone can enter definitions.

Note the entry is from 2006.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Naja. Disgruntled poster likely. Someone who couldn't follow the rules perhaps.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
You mean the stinkin rules, Kar.

It sounds like somebody we don't need around here.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Lol,that’s funny. I had no idea.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
LOL, Doc. I agree!

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Monday, December 02, 2019 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have never seen any "rules" other than what I was taught as a child is common courtesy just sayin'

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, December 03, 2019 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Can someone who knows a lot about insurance please school me on house coverage?

We have a leak/wet patch in an upstairs ceiling. The roofer has taken up some roof tiles, checked the nearby window, and can't see anything wrong. He says we maybe want to get a plumber to look at the pipes in the attic, just in case it's internal.

So in case this ends up being a big job...

I'm assuming the insurance doesn't pay for simple repairs, but what if we got up in the attic and there a lot of damp or even mould and wood need to be replaced?

What things are insurance and what things are just repairs/thing we need to pay for?

Is there any benefit with NOT using insurance? I mean are they likely to raise my premiums so much I'm better off paying out of pocket?

Anybody know?

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, December 03, 2019 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
It’s kind of a mixed bag. Typically if it’s something like a leaking pipe then that’s considered a maintenance issue and you have to repair the pipe. Now the damage the leaking pipe caused is a little different and your insurance would cover that. The issue then becomes how extensive is the damage and how much would it cost to repair. Case in point I had a hot water heater leak. Here for whatever reason they put one of our water heaters in the attic over the garage. The leak ruined the ceiling in the garage. The repair was a few hundred dollars but, and it was a big but, the damage was less than the deductible on my homeowners insurance so no help and I paid out my own pocket..

As for raising your homeowners insurance cost I guess that depends on the company and sometimes the state’s insurance laws. In our case we got hit with a massive hail storm about three years ago that tore up our roof and literally beat the gutters off the house. Total damage was $30,000 and all I paid was our deductible. No change in our insurance rates. Forward to this past June and we had a very nearby lightning strike. Almost $14,000 in damage and again all I paid was the deductible. Still no increase in our homeowners insurance cost.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, December 03, 2019 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have been a homeowner since I was 19, and have never had to make a homeowner's claim, knock on wood.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, December 03, 2019 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Neither had I until three years ago when Mother Nature decided to knock.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, December 03, 2019 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mack, that's really helpful. I went up into the attic, or at least on the platform bit (a lot of our attic seems to have fluffy white insulation (looks like styrofoam) on it, sort of stuff you'd want to be wearing a hazmat suit to go through) and if there is any damage it doesn't look like it would be much, as the wood and foam I can see all looks clean and dry. So that is good.

I did manage to book a plumber for tomorrow morning, although they say that with a water heater in the garage, it's unlikely there are actually water pipes in the attic as there's no need (pipes would only go up to where they're used), but he's going to take a look and also fix a few other things we have stacked up. So that's something.

But looks like it might be the roof after all. Not sure how to deal with that as the roofer says the roof is fine .

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 03, 2019 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Could it be not roof but eaves or fascia or soffit?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 12:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I had to look up "soffit" :-). The roofer (after checking the roof and finding no leaks) first said he thought it was the ventilation holes, that happen to be very close to where the leak is. But I asked him to put his ladder up there and see if they were damp, which he did, and he said they seemed completely dry. And he said the gutters were clear, so there shouldn't have been much overflow in that area. I'm hoping the plumber can point to the issue in the attic even if it's not his thing to fix.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have the same issue and the roofer has been by twice and can't figure out where the water is coming from (and it is in an awkward spot to try and see). He suggested that to make sure it was rain causing it that I mark where the current water stain was and see if it changed the next time it rained so I circled the spots in pencil and sure enough the next time it rained the spots got bigger. I think it is the soffit but haven't had the time (nor the money) to follow up (I never go upstairs so I'm probably neglecting it horribly). Another thing to worry about and deal with when I have the time and the money.

FWIW, I listen to a home improvement show on the radio at times and this question was brought up and the guy (Jim Dutton at Texas Home Improvement) says that water can blow in through your vents and travel down the roof beams and drip in unexpected places.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 7:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Kitt, here's a link to give you some ideas what might be causing it. Link

Roofs are such a pain in the neck. A few months ago I was watching This Old House where they were replacing a roof. I think they were using cedar shingles. I learned that the shingles have to overhang a certain amount (2 inches? 4? I can't remember) otherwise in a windy, rainy storm, the wind can push water underneath the shingles and by capillary action, draw the water up the roof and cause leaks. Who knew? And they said a lot of roofers don't do that.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Keep in mind that the it dries top down. You may not see or feel water/dampness at the actual source of the leak. :-(

I had that issue at my office. Leaking around the air conditioning unit entrance (which was mounted on the roof).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link Grooch, but there's no way I'm getting on the roof! I did make it up to the platform in the attic yesterday, but that's as far as I go!

The plumber was really good (such a relief to find a plumber who goes through everything with you) and confirmed there are no water pipes in the attic, and from what he can see the water vent pipe (which is in an awkward position in the attic) is completely dry, no water or water stains around it.

So he thinks it is a roof leak, and the best solution - although it sounds scary to me - is to have someone cut a hole in the ceiling, trace the water stains back to the source, and then we can get the roofers to look at whatever we find (rather than having the roofers just take up more tiles hoping to find a tiny hole).

And he said if we want his guys can do that, even though it's nothing to do with plumbing, and then they have someone they recommend who'll be able to patch it up again afterwards. So we'll see what happens with this coming storm, Friday/Saturday, and it the damp patch gets bigger. Ho hum.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Sometimes roof leaks are caused by issues with, I think it is called, the flashing around various vents and chimneys on the roofs. The roof looks fine, but the metal around the vents etc is letting water through. When we were selling my dad's place, we had that issue. The roof itself was fine.... Other things on the roof... needed to be replaced.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Water goes in mysterious ways, it could be a leak on the right side of the house showing up on the left.

It might be good to have the plumber guys try and trace it.

And yes, improperly installed flashing can cause huge problems and leaks.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Years ago we had rain and short high winds. water got in from the side and into the attic and the ceiling was dripping in the back bedroom.

I drilled holes after putting down a large sheet of plastic, but it was too heavy and next day a pretty big portion of the ceiling fell in.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Ha! Kookliebird said it first. I was just going to ask if you have a fireplace and chimney. And if so, it could be the flashing around the chimney. We had a roof replaced, and they forgot to replace the flashing (and then went out of business, of course), and we got water leaks that appeared on our lower level fireplace.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 04, 2019 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The only thing sticking out of the roof in that area is this water vent thing they mentioned, which he said looks all dry (from what he could see from the attic). But it could be a hole anywhere on that side, or on that flashing (although I'd hope the roofer would have been bright enough to check that while he was up there) and just trickle down to where we're seeing the water, so I think the trace is the next option.

They also suggested it was a freak wind direction but if so, we patch it up and who knows when it happens again. Probably best to bite the bullet and cut into the ceiling and trace. We're going to see what happens with this next storm.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, December 05, 2019 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The only reason I haven't cut into my ceiling is because a year or so ago I had rat issues and I was afraid that if I cut a hole in the ceiling they would come in my house! Rats are gone now but I'm still a little weirded out because of it!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 05, 2019 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Roxip, when I was up in the attic the other day I was having trouble putting the attic door thing back in place (my ladder was too short and I was having trouble balancing while maneuvering it) so I left it open. Then later when it was getting dark I got all freaked out that cockroaches or something would pour through the hole, so I tried again and managed it! It was actually really clean up there, surprisingly so, so I don't think I've got rodents. Insects I'm not so sure about!