TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 17, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 17, 2019 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
In my coworker's case it was $9000, but I will figure it out if it comes to that.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Well there was the cost of the surgery which was the main cost. The lenses were like $600-$700. Again I didn’t have to pay for the better lenses but I was led to believe there was $200-$300 difference.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I really think that the cost will be worth it if I am a candidate for the advanced lenses (I have some pretty substantial astigmatism which the lenses are supposed to help).

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Well, a lot of the cost is going to depend on the type of insurance you have and whether or not you've met your deductible for the year. In my company, we have a high deductible plan and would have to meet a $4000 personal deductible before 80% of the cost would be covered. I had eye surgery last year and paid for most of it myself due to the high deductible plan...

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
? Link

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bigdog and I both got the enhanced, top of the line, multi-focal lenses when we had our cataract surgery three years ago. They were $6000 for each of us for the two eyes. We live in a high cost area, north of Seattle. Our insurance covered the rest. Neither of us needs glasses any longer, except to read fine print in not so bright light.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I will consider paying the difference when/if the time comes.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, November 15, 2019 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I definitely will.

Interesting article on Lasik. I've never heard of anyone having complications but then again I probably don't know that many people. I had RK performed (which was a surgical procedure) about a year before Lasik became FDA approved so it wasn't an option in my case. It is scary to have someone operating on your eyes - especially because you can see them doing so!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, November 15, 2019 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've got astigmatism so Lasik not an option for me. But I wouldn't in any case. Things can go screwy. It's your eyes!!

I wish I could go back to the soft contacts I wore before double vision whatever that's called -- problems with seeing both near and far. Neither of the two eye doctors I've seen about contacts are into contact in one eye for near vision and contact in other eye for far. Why not?

I've got contacts now that I rarely wear. Have to wear readers with them. Doc told me I would. That's OK, no biggie. It is a biggie -- a nuisance, especially at home.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, November 15, 2019 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Don't they have weighted contacts that work for people who need assistance with both far and near vision?

I loved my gas permeable contacts that I wore long before I had eye surgery, but a new doctor prescribed me a different brand and I became allergic to them and was never able to wear contacts again (and left that doctor). That's why I opted for RK in the first place, and I had horrible astigmatism also.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 15, 2019 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Color, I always had heard I could not get Lazik because of my astigmatisms. I had to wear hard contact lenses, gas permeable, not soft.

I was really not jonseing for Lasik, but a few years ago mentioned it not being an option and my ophthalmologist was surprised and said I could have had it done but would need readers.

He says my eyes have naturally taken the roles where one focuses on near and the other on far.

I have worn glasses since fifty grade, except for the heads I wore contacts. At one point the better eye just was not comfortable with the contact so I would take that one out. And then I later went back to glasses.

The ones I wear are Silhouette super light and comfortable.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 4:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Lasik the most expensive mistake of my life. It corrected my vision for about a year but has left me with a severe lifetime case of dry eye and now my vision is worse than ever. Old age I guess. They see cataracts on both eyes but they told me to wait. Let us know how yours turns out in January Roxip.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 6:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Sea, that is my story too. Got glasses during 5th grade. Tried hard contacts. Could not tolerate them. Got soft contacts when they were new, before toric lenses. Vision wasn't good, but I wore them. Then toric. Wore them successfully for years. Wore the same pair of lenses for SIX YEARS. My doc said they were still like new, but finally needed prescription change. Wesley Jessen no longer made lenses like I had been wearing for so long. Many people had a problem with the truncation. I did not. Tried gas permeable. Could't tolerate them in my eyes. After many years -- glasses. I wore Silhouettes for a few years. Glasses are now "in"? These are my frames now.

Link

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I started wearing glasses in kindergarten. :-( Pink cat eye frames... LOL.

I started wearing hard contact lenses when I was 16. Tried soft, but couldn't tolerate them.

I currently have old style gas permeable bifocals, they are weighted at the bottom to keep them correctly oriented. Tried those multifocals but saw triple. Not a great thing at the mall. :-)

I do still wear silhouettes when I'm not wearing my contacts, and absolutely cannot drive at night with my contacts, so keep a pair of glasses in my purse.

Never really had the desire for surgery.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 16, 2019 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Those are cute, Color!

I won't give up my Silhouettes, thogh.

I take them off during my manipulation sessions and my doctor always does a double take because they look so much like his glasses!

I had a desire for what the surgery promised, but not for the surgery!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I had Lasik surgery thirty years ago.

It made a huge difference in my life. You walk into the surgery room barely seeing and walk out seeing.

I used to have to grope to find my glasses on a desk right in front of me.

Now I can see them from across the room.

What are Silhouettes?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Glasses without frames around the lenses.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I had a huge astigmatism and had laser surgery about.... hm 15-20 years ago. Was told at the time that it wouldn’t prevent age related vision issues and after a good decade I did end up needing reading glasses. I also have a bit of night vision (again, a prewarned side effect) and my astigmatism has returned to a smaller degree. Was worth every penny though, not needing to find glasses to use bathroom in middle of night. Not having contact issues when out late at night or wearing a lot of eye makeup. I would do it again if I had the money to throw around. I know a lot of folks who had the procedure and biggest issue is night vision I keep a pair of yellow lenses glasses in car and that solves the problem.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Rissa, what do the yellow glasses do? Do they help with glare?

I sometimes find myself (like last night) having to drive home in the dark and I've forgotten my glasses.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I remember why I had the surgery done!

My sister, niece and I were on vacation in Brazil.

We stayed overnight in the jungle.

I remember thinking that if I lost my glasses and got lost in the jungle, I couldn't see to get out.

My eyes were really bad before the surgery.

Since I was over 40 when I had it done, I knew I would still need glasses for reading. My astigmatism was very bad too.

The Silhouettes look nice.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I love my silhouettes, closest thing to wearing glasses while feeling like you are not wearing glasses. They are so light!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
lol I was just looking up how to spell silhouette to change my post.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Why? It's spelled correctly.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Not in my 12:20 post

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 17, 2019 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
:-) :-) :-)