TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Breads

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Breads users admin

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Right now I am making rye bread. I found a recipe that says it is the N.Y. Jewish rye that delis used to have. I hope so. That style that the stores sell today is nothing like it was when I was a kid. And it took me a long time to find a rye recipe that says it's this type. Fingers crossed!

I got the recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to bake everything". I've made 2 other recipes from his book and I was happy with both.

One of the them was potato knishes. They were much better the next day when you heat them up in the microwave. Very easy to make. And men like them because it's basically mashed potatoes surrounded by dough. Can't get better than that.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My Dad was a baker (I used to bake with him when I was little) and my DD loves to bake. I’m looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
How cool that your father was a baker. You don't bake anymore? How old is your daughter? I picked up The Fannie Farmer Baking book at a yard sale this summer and it's a great book. It explains everything in a really simple manner and has good illustrations with it. If she doesn't have the book, you could get it for her for a Christmas gift or something.

Another 15 minutes before it goes in my unreliable oven that can't keep the temperature correct. (I have a counter top Breville oven that I love, but it won't work with the throwing the water in there to get the steam flash. Mark Bittman uses a food processor for kneading the bread real quick. First time I tried that. If the bread doesn't come out good, I can blame it on that or my oven.

When this goes in the oven, I'm going to make banana bread. Somebody just dropped off some rotten bananas for me. And I need a midnight snack.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Although he ran a huge bakery, my Dad was a good baker himself. My daughter is 18 now. Her summer and part-time job last year was working in an open kitchen bakery at an upscale restaurant. Although she doesn't want to do it as a career, she's good!

LOL about your unreliable oven. Ovens can have a personality all their own. Years ago when we were at my Aunt's cottage my Dad made bread in a wood fired stove. It was pretty amazing.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Here I was thinking your daughter was young, like 10 or 12. Lol!

In Chile, the old way of making bread was in dirt ovens outside. The bread was so good. I want somebody to make me one of those one day.

The rye bread is done and it actually came out good. The crust is a little chewy but it has great flavor. I just finished my second slice and I'm going back for thirds. :-)

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I can't believe my daughter is 18 now either. She started baking when she was little though.

I love all types of bread. Rye is one of my favorites.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I can't believe Jimmer's daughter is 18 now, either! Someone's getting old!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Hey no talking about my daughter like that!

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
How comes our children miraculously get older and we don't feel like we've aged a day?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well, intellectually I'm still childlike.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: