TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 23, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 23, 2019 users admin

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 5:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Mack, I remember you sharing your story here.

Thank you for sharing it again. May we never forget.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
What Dogdoc said. Right now I'm watching the Remembering 9/11 Ceremony, and the reading of the names.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Mack, what a chilling story. I glad both you and your wife got out ok. I will not forget the others who did not.

That morning I was in the office reading TVCH and someone from NY was posting the horrors they were seeing. Was it Ocean something? I can't remember the poster's name. I also remember the amazing jobs other pilots did in landing their planes immediately to clear the radar. It was certainly a day of horrors and heroes. I couldn't forget if I wanted to.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 6:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I just realized this morning that I said 19 years and DUH - of course it is 18!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
And terrorists aimed the planes at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon...the planes didn't aim themselves! Good job New York Times. Geesh!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That’s an amazing personal perspective on the 9/11 attack. Thank you for posting that, Mack.

I was at work in an office tower in our financial district. My wife called to tell me about the first plane. Although I wasn’t formally senior management, I did all my work with them and we all stopped to watch on our computers and TV. None of us could comprehend it when the first building fell.

As a side note, one of the things that fascinated me was how almost all of the rest of the staff (aside from senior management) just kept doing their work (none of which was urgent). It made me wonder what other event could possibly get them to stop working and watch. Maybe a nuclear war?

Anyway, the company closed early that day and we all went home.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Mack, thank you for sharing your story. It helps keep those memories alive for all that we lost that day, and all of those who loved them.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
((Mak))) We will never forget

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I was on cnn.com earlier today and found a timeline video showing the events from the first report about the Twin Towers until the second one fell, cutting to the Pentagon and the field in Pennsylvania. I literally sat here wiping tears from my eyes.

Mack, I am so sorry for the loss of your friends and coworkers, and so grateful and you and your wife were both safe.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I thought for sure we would have more options for cable and internet after 26 years. The options are still Mediacom (the robbers I have now), Wow! and AT&T. After a year, they all charge about $100 a month.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

That morning I was in the office reading TVCH and someone from NY was posting the horrors they were seeing. Was it Ocean something? I can't remember the poster's name.

Jeep, that would have been Ocean Islands. I also found out about it by reading here. I think it must have been Ocean Islands and Maris (who might have had a different username then) posting, and then I raced out to our living room (we are Pacific time, so it had just happened and was still happening) and told Bigdog to turn on the television. At that time, a lot of us also went into TVCH chat, so a bunch of us were all also chatting in real time. I got the word around the time the first plane had just hit, but not the second, nor had the towers fallen.

Here is a first person account from a former member of TVClubhouse:

http://jason-cochran.com/blog/ago-the-911-account-i-wrote-then-there/

I am sure his blog is public and he wouldn't mind me posting the link, nor would he mind if any of his old friends buy his book. I met him in person when he came out to visit San Francisco when we still lived there.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I first I was something had happened when I logged on and my email inbox had dozens of e-mail from two groups I was active in, a bunch titled Twin Towers and a bunch titled World Trade Center and that was enough to start reading while I turned on CNN.

And of course TVCH, where we watched what seemed to be the last three people who didn't know... with Dr Will commenting that something was up because there were no planes in the air.

Today I dug out and wore the metal bracelets I bought at our Fire Station. The FD and PD sold them and sent the money to a fund for first responders and families.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 6:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Thanks Juju. That's exactly who it was. I didn't get in on the chat tho. I was a lurker long before I posted.

Thanks for posting that link. Those of us who were not right there experiencing it all will never know how it really felt. It gave me chills to read how he could feel the dead people's spirits (for lack of a better word) in the air for days. I hope our country never has to experience that again, but fear our enemies are just biding their time for another attack.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, September 12, 2019 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I remember hearing in the weeks / months after 9/11 that Osama bin Laden was a very patient person. That scared me.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Does anyone else have sensitive ears that render wearing costume and/or cheaper earrings difficult? I usually put neosporin on both my ears (pierced) and the posts or wires of the earrings and that generally makes them wearable for the day. I am wondering if anyone has tried any of products such as Jewellery Shield or plain nail polish with any success?
I just bought a fun, cheap set of bohemian earrings from Amazon and debating whether to buy some sort of coating or not.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Not earrings, but I have seen people use clear nail polish on rings.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
It was suggested to me that I use clear nail polish on ONE pair of pierced earrings that irritate my ears. They were $35-ish. I have others by the same designer. That one pair always badly irritates my ears. I set them aside for years and then tried them again with same results. Didn't try the polish.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I used neosporin on the pair I am wearing today and so far so good after about 6 hours.
It would be nice to be able to just quickly put them in without the neosporin ritual.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
This morning I put a microwavable omelet dish in the microwave with a small pat of butter to melt. It made a noise, and there was a flash of light. I immediately stopped it and took the dish out. There were no other signs of anything wrong, so I put the eggs in, cooked them with no problem, and also the rest of the omelet with no problem. Was a little bit nervous, so kept an eye on it, but there were no more problems. A little while ago, I attempted to heat up some water in it, and it worked.

When I googled it, everyone said it was dead, but it was not. Someone else said they continued to use their microwave for years.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Was there anything metallic in your dish?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If the dish had metal in it, the microwaves can cause the electrons in the metal to arc to the nearest conductor, which is often the microwave walls. That's what the flash is.

It can damage the microwave but if it still works after doing the flash, you're fine for now. It might (or might not) have caused a tiny bit of damage that would shorten the microwave's life, but until it eventually dies there's no problem.

Sounds like maybe there's a chip in the dish somewhere which reveals some metal or another conductor.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
No. no metal in the dish. It is plastic.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
No possibility of a little piece of aluminum foil or something that got in the mix?

It certainly sounds like a tiny bit of metal caused the flash. It just takes the tiniest bit.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Ha, have a look at this:

http://cookingcoffeecontriving.blogspot.com/2007/10/electrifying-butter.html

Apparently it's the butter! Who knew!?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 23, 2019 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Hmmmm... I've melted butter many times and never had a spark.