TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 12, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through October 12, 2016 users admin

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
On Sunday, I got a huge Win10 update on my computer and, for the second update in a row, I had to undo it with system restore (or whatever it is) because it messed up the graphics and created weird pixilizations on a part of my screen. Then, foe the second update in a row, it re-updated my computer and everything was fine.

The most recent update is very nice BTW, even though I had to go through the process two times. (The first happened while I was sleeping, to be fair)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I just got a new laptop. It's extremely fast. We'll see how long it takes Microsoft to slow it down to a crawl

What changed with this update. I haven't got it yet?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
My huge update was yesterday, and I think it did come as two updates. However, I can't be sure, as it coincided with moving day from a huge house with a really steep driveway into a smaller condo, and I fried all of my brain cells surviving the move. Without having to get divorced even, mind you. So, today I notice my opening screen has been changed, and Windows Photo Viewer had completely disappeared, and it was opening photos with Paint. Not exactly sure what I did, something like right clicking on the file and choosing Open With, and finding Windows Photo Viewer was no longer an option, then from there navigating through several other screens until on about the fourth one, the Windows Photo Viewer appears as an option, and I gratefully clicked on Always Open This Type of File with This Program.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
glad it was not only me. Seems to be making more trouble.....

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I noticed sticky notes has also changed. You can add reminders to sticky notes now, and although you can still change the color of the note, there doesn't seem to be any way to change the font or the font color anymore.

I use the sticky notes all the time.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I've never used a sticky note. How do you do it?

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Do a search for sticky notes on your computer and click to open it. A little colored sheet will appear on your desktop and it looks like a sticky note from the real life sheets. You can type anything on it and leave it right there on your desk top like a normal sticky note. You can add or erase anything from it at any time. You can have more than one up at a time, too. Plus, you can change the size of them for longer notes.

I use them all the time to remind me of things all the time.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have used a downloaded Stickie program for years, that I like a lot, although they have refined it SO much over the years that it now has a pretty big learning curve, and I don't even come close to knowing, let alone using all the options.

This is the one I use:
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/index.html

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think it's been ever since windows vista that "sticky notes" has been built into windows.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I keep noticing little things this big update did. For instance, when I click the start button, and my section of app squares pop up, they do this weird, but slight, accordion movement thing. It gives me a little bit a seasick feeling if I'm looking right at it when it happens.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 11:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I guess mine did that too.

Seems like whenever they update then they try to cram Cortana down my throat. sigh.

I do SO much more on my Kindle Fire the last few years.

I try to read email on the desktop and often I need to to download an attachment to have ON the computer, but so often I want to expand it to read it. On the fire, no problem.

I need to get going with my 12 inch touch screen thingy so I can expand stuff to read there too.

With BB I will have my desktop monitor going with feeds more.

I don't think I WANT the feeds (and the noise from them) on my 50" screen across the room.. and I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't care for that so much either.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Help! Silly but annoying problem. Before Win 10, the icons on my desktop were nicely split in half with certain ones on the left side of the screen (tech stuff) and other ones on the right side of my screen (fun stuff). Anyhow, Win 10 won't let me customize it and always flushes left in a big scramble not even sorted the way I need them. Grrrr. I am kind of OCD and this has been driving me bonkers for weeks. I especially hate having to look through all of my icons (and I have a lot) to find the ones I need at any given time. I like them grouped together sensibly. Is there a solution? Someone please say yes. ;)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I don't have that issue. I can move my icons and they stay there. So, I'm not sure what's going on with your computer.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
MB, Googled and found this answer on Microsoft answer section:

Right Click on Desktop,
In View submenu, Uncheck Auto arrange icons and Align icons to grid

I followed the instructions for my own desktop and found mine was uncheckrf for Auto Aligned, but checked for Align icons to grid.

And that seems about right. If I pull some icons out to the far right, they stay there, but otherwise they all line up on the left side like little soldiers.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 30, 2016 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
That's what I have Juju, unchecked auto arrange, and checked align to grid. Still all stick in a jumble on the left. I'll try it again but it's labour intensive since I have A Lot of icons and l am fussy where they go. I'll report back. :-) And thank you.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, September 30, 2016 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Mame, my laptop kept doing that, but not my desktop. Weird. I got sick of trying to fix it from internet fixes, so I just left it. Then one day I realized that it wasn't doing it anymore. I know I didn't fix it myself, so I have to assume something in an update fixed it at some point.

Mine had an additional symptom. Sometimes all the the icons would set up in cute little groups of 4 spaced evenly over the desktop...LOL

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL Naja! It's a new movie called, "My Laptop is Haunted".

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 07, 2016 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
LOL Jimmer :-)

I think they actually made that movie!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
So just tonight, my Flash player decided to stop working. I usually use Firefox and I tried doing Firefox in safe mode, but that was a no go. I updated it, no go. Updated safe mode, no go.

Then I tried it in Chrome, which I never use. No go. But I didn't feel like updating it again for Chrome.

I don't know whether this is a Windows issue, a Flash issue, or what. I'm thinking I might uninstall Flash and start fresh, but I don't know. I need it for tomorrow because it's the only way I know I'll get to see the Eagles play, plus it's how I watch NFL redzone. What do yall think?

TIA!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
NVM. I did a system restore back to 5 days ago because I was panicked about missing an Eagles game. My computer is terribly slow, though, and I have 8 gigs of RAM. I wish I knew how to clean the registry of all the unwanted junk, but I guess I'll have to get a new laptop soon. This one is slightly more than 3 yrs old and I guess it's served me well considering how much I use it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They just seem to get slow after a while. It's like planned obsolescence.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Since about 2004 I have been using something called "System Mechanic". It works wonders on slow computers. It has a great start-up manager and registry cleaner, as well as many other tools.

It went through a couple rough years back when Vista first came out (mainly with its user interface), but it went right back to being wonderful and easy to use.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Btw, nothing has ever sped up a computer of mine more than a good start up manager. A start up manager lets you choose not to let unneeded things run automatcally in the background.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Also, if anybody uses Norton, it also has a nice start up manager. But, it's not as thorough as SM. Sometimes I think app companies must pay Norton to stay off their "not needed" list.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
And one more thing I want to suggest if you are fed up with a slow pc and you are to the point of getting a new one (And I consider a 3 year old PC relatively new), please just reinstall windows 10 first. But do the reinstall where EVERYTHING gets deleted. Don't keep anything. The whole point is you want to get rid of whatever is slowing your computer.

Then one by one reinstall your old programs as you need them. You'll find 6 months will go by and you realize you haven't even put back half of your programs or apps because you never really used them anyway.

I love doing reinstalls and starting fresh. It's fun to me. I laugh when I see Sheldon on Big Bang just doing it for fun....LOL

Here are the google instructions to reinstalling windows 10.

"To reset your Windows 10 PC, open the Settings app, select Update & security, select Recovery, and click the “Get started” button under Reset this PC. Select “Remove everything.” This will wipe all your files, so be sure you have backups."