TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 09, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 09, 2019 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I live a mile now from house where I grew up. I was "here" for the very early days of TV. Rooftop antenna was all there was of course. Or rabbit ears. I live 15 - 20 miles straight west of downtown Chicago. I guess TG for good antenna on top of 5 story condo building.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
My understanding is that if you can get it over the air the picture is fantastic. Because it's digital it either works great or it doesn't work at all.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Cause I live in a condo building, I have a special indoor antenna that gets me a bunch of channels, but mostly (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). Bought it at Radio shack and you kind of dial it in to get the reception. My tv is near the window for best receptions. I've used it since the signals all went digital. They probably have something similar at Amazon on Best buy. The one I have is enhanced due to the interference of city life on the signal. At least, that's what the radio shack guy told me. I have never had cable or a dish. Just can't see paying for it. Happy with the regular channels.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Kookliebird, do you have Amazon Prime? If so all you need is an Amazon Fire TV, their streaming box (or any box for streaming). Pay nothing more. Netflix is $12.99 per month. Then you'd have tons and tons of TV choices. You'd need enough bandwidth / speed (?) which you probably already have? I've got 17 Mbps. I have no problems streaming.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't think Netflix carries all the shows I watch, unfortunately.

Amazon accidentally sent me a Roku, told me to keep it when I called. I have no idea how it works.

Oy.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The Roku's pretty handy if you like streaming shows to your tv. It has the same apps you'd get on a tablet, but of course for most of them you will have to register to use them. So if you watch Amazon prime, you'd just use that app on the roku, same with Netflix or CBS.

We have one attached to the tv in front of the treadmill so we don't have to wire it to the cable, it just uses the wifi.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, August 02, 2019 - 1:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
You can also watch Youtube on your tv with the Roku stick. So much nicer to watch my painting tutorials and yoga youtubes on the tv than on my computer, lol. Before I got the Roku, I set my computer on the table next to my painting to watch the youtubes and was constantly having to clean paint off of it.

We don't have cable hooked up in the bedrooms, only the living room. So mom and Dakota have Roku's. They dl'd the app for time warner/spectrum and can watch live tv in their rooms that way. Or netflix or amazon prime if they want.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Looking for any English members.... I have rec’d a letter from an elderly lady from Kent in regards to a genealogy query I had sent out to her. She has included her husband’s email address but the message bounced. I could snail mail her again but was hoping to establish a faster route. Lol

The email seems to be @tiscali.co.uk

This look familiar to anyone? Is this a known British server name? Off by one letter? Will post this then try to screenshot it without including her full address for privacy reasons.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Maybe it's now @talktalk.co.uk ? Link

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Kitt, we need you in this thread.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Nope, that didn’t work either. Also tried just .com instead of co.uk for both Tiscali and TalkTalk. She must have made the mistake on the front part but since it’s just her husband’s name? Lol guess it’s back to snail mail. Thank you so much Colordeagua for looking it up!!!!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
@tiscali.co.uk is a real email extension. All you need to do is google it to find out that it is valid. She may have gotten the first part wrong. They can always have a typo or something. Send her your email and ask that she hits you up with an email direct to your address.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
When I first tracked her down and sent a letter, I included my email. She replied by snail mail that she wasn’t good with computers but included her husband’s email. The addy is just her husband’s name with an underscore between first and last name. Spelling is all correct so I tried using no space and then a dash. Those emails did not return so I am hoping they went to correct person. Lol.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Could it have been a dot instead of an underscore? We get a lot of that for our customers - firstname . lastname @whatever.com.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
If the ones i sent get no response, i will try the dot. I am pretty sure i got it with the dash instead of an underscore. Her dash was so low, it was in the next line of text but its the easiest mistake to make if her husband was reading it out for her.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Howdi, yes, as you've seen by now, tiscali.co.uk is a common email address.

Rissa, I'm from Kent. Both sides, for at least two centuries (except perhaps one great great grandfather who's unknown). Are we distant relatives? ;).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kitt, you and I are probably very distant relatives..

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Do you have Kent roots too? I've been doing quite a bit of genealogy work recently and it seems like I might literally be a distant relative of anyone who had ancestors in my part of Kent from the 1850s to 1900. I was just connected with someone on 23andMe who had a good family tree mapped out, and we found out we are linked by blood in at least three different ways (two with my dad, one with my mum!), and by marriage in two more. And it was only her father who came from Kent, her mother was from a different county.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 1:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I will have to look, but I think so, along with other UK locations, but most were in the early colonies in the 1600s..

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I am the family genealogist but my own ancestry is Norwegian/Austrian/Belgian... it’s hubby who was born in England, in Essex. His family is from the greater London area for the last hundred years Pancras, Surrey, Bethnal Green. Before that it was Norfolk, Hampshire, York. Kent is a sad side story. At the beginning of the 1900’s his grandfather had three siblings given up for adoption to the Barnado society and two of the three ended up with families in Kent. I was hoping this woman was the daughter of the third but I struck out. If you come across any Drake’s in Kent feel free to ask if their father was named Francis. Lol it’s an annoying name to research because everyone wants to descend from the pirate no matter how many times you tell them he had no children. Lol

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, saying you're looking for descendants of Francis Drake in England is going to get some "witty" comments.

Adoption stories are hard. Have you tried getting DNA tested on something like 23andMe or Ancestry, to see if anyone comes up? If you have his family tree (except for the adoption) you might be lucky and get a hit you could quite easily isolate to that part of the family.

Which part of Kent, by the way?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Well up until the last few years I got a lot of THAT Francis Drake questions. Now we get Drake the singer questions to which my youngest always says yes, he’s a cousin because she is just DONE with being asked. Lol

The 2 kids that ended up in Kent went to Bromley, I ‘now think’ the third went to Worcestershire but since my last lead ended up nowhere, that’s preliminary.

Eta... I forgot to answer. I have dna for multiple family members on Ancestry, 23 and me, familytreedna, gedmatch and my heritage. Lol

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Bromley's quite a way from us, at least in historical terms when people didn't drive.

Looks like you've got the dna thing covered, lol. Some people get a lot of close hits on that, a friend of mine had something like five unknown second cousins turn up. My connections have all been more distant, I think most of the dna sites have mostly US subscribers unfortunately.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And subscribers can hide their info.. My brother and close known cousins did that, at least it was after we matched.

So I keep getting new matches, to more distant cousins.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Hubby has a cousin whose father had been married before. Thanks to ancestry we found that a daughter born to his first wife LONG AFTER he had married the cousins mother was also his child. It just popped up one day, these two women who never had a relationship of any sort but both did the ancestry kit and results came back as half siblings. Oops.

Also been trying to confirm some info for one of my son in law’s and had three matches come in.. one an uncle and two first cousins but none have signed into their accounts for years so I have no way of contacting them. Very frustrating to be so close.