TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 09, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 09, 2019 users admin

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 4:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm glad to have the information. Isn't it weird what tidbits of information we have stored in our brains?

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I learn so much here at TVCH.....ha ha ha

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 3:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah I call them fireflies too.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 12:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
We do not have fireflies or dragonflies in AZ. We have GIANT mosquitoes.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We don't have them in my area, either.

We had them in Washington, D.C. but I was really young and only realized when I went back for a conference in Virginia and went in to D.C. to see the Vietnam memorial wall and revisit the other monuments at night and there they were fireflies or lightning bugs.

We did not have them in Detroit, never saw them at summer camp.

But.. We did get to see them when we visited our Indiana relatives in summer!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Lightning bugs are great and eat the mosquitoes as do the bats that live in our trees (although most people think it is birds at night, I don't tell them. Not as many as I saw as a child though.

Although I live in an uran area, there is a part of my yard that the street is blocked by my house and garage and there are trees all around, it is like being in a well, I like to look up at the stars from that part. That is why I was so offended and annoyed when someone wanted to build an apartment hear my house and have lights on all night in the parking space which would have adjoined by yard. I was glad to know that one of the winning arguments was my light pollution complaint. But I think it was just that this was defined as a triple A single family home area that won it, we had to take it to state court, because both the city and the county had officials that were friends with the builder, cost a lot of money. But I can still go to that one spot in my yard and look up at the stars. This is hard for most people who have seen my house as the emergency squad and the local vet both have lights on all night in their yard, but they are both blocked so nicely by the garage.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 24, 2019 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We had them all the time in Ohio; they show up occasionally in our rural area of Michigan, but so infrequently that DH and I always get each other to look when we do see them.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I thought we had a genealogy thread a while back, but I can't find it, so I'll put this here. Long, and boring for many I'm sure, but anyone who likes genealogy might find it fun.

My parents and I did ancestry tests with 23andMe, and I've been putting the data on other similar sites, to see if we got dna matches. Mostly we got people who were listed as potential third cousins or more distant. Few familiar names and I only identified about three of them.

Couple of weeks ago I got a message from a guy who matched with my dad as a potential second or first cousin once removed. His mother was adopted, and he was only able to see her birth certificate after she died (which was recently), and that only gave the mother's name (his grandmother) and details, the father's name (his grandfather) was blank.

We had no relationship to the guy's father (who was Polish, so that was easy), and none to his mother's mother (who lived in a different area of England, and in the last 200 years my ancestors have barely strayed beyond 30 miles of where I was born), so it seemed like we had to be related to his mother's mystery father.

He gave me what he has of his mother's details, and it turns out she was born about five miles from my family. Really I thought it could be anyone who impregnated her, there are so many options, but I have one great grandfather who was born there, so I decided to just go through his descendants, see if anything stood out, even though I thought realistically it could be anyone who took advantage of a teenage maid and then ran off.

First thing I see is that on the 1891 census my dad's great grandfather lived right next door to the grandfather of the man who eventually married his grandmother! The name was a little unusual and he worked for the railway (in a land of agricultural labourers), so it stood out.

Long story as short as I can: My family and this man who married his grandmother's family had sons of the same age, who had sons of the same age, both of which were 17 when his 16 year old grandmother got pregnant. The one from my family lived in the town his mother was born in (or at least he did in the census before her birth) and I strongly suspect will be the guy's biological grandfather. He probably got the guy's grandmother pregnant, ran off, and the other guy stayed friends with her, marrying her eight years later.

The other option is that the man who married his grandmother was actually his biological grandfather after all, and during the two previous generations when his family and my family lived so close together, there was a dalliance such that his father or grandfather isn't who he thought he was, but was one of my family instead.

What I thought was so amazing, is that if the guy who contacted me hadn't mentioned the man who married his grandmother (and really why would he, he didn't think he had anything to do with his biological paternity) then I wouldn't have looked him up and found he worked on the railway. Then I wouldn't have noticed his ancestor who worked on the railway.

If it had been the man's grandmother that the link came from, the names would have changed and I wouldn't have found it. If he'd lived not next door, but next door but one from my family, I probably wouldn't have noticed them on the census either. If the houses on the census were on consecutive pages (last on one page, first on the next), not both on the same page, I wouldn't have seen it. And if my ancestor hadn't had randomly been born where he was - a fact that actually ended up as of little relevance, as the two families were next to each other in a different town - I wouldn't have started looking at them, as I'd have thought there were too many options to choose from.

So through a series of lucky happenstances, we kind of solved this mystery really quickly when it so easily could have had no starting point whatsoever. Pretty amazing, or at least we thought so.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
KItt, I just ran across this.... THAT is amazing.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It is! Very satisfying :-).

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Wow, what a cool thing to find out! I bet that type of thing was big scandal back then.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
By the way, if any of you are BB Fans, EvelDick did a dna test and has found a bunch of siblings. He said he knew his dad was a giglio before his Mom, but didn't realize he had so many kids.

I think it is interesting. I don't think people realized how much fooling around was going on back in the day. I think the 40's, 50's were pretty "scandalous", LOL.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Naja, the one who I think is the father had moved about 100 miles away by the next census, which makes me wonder if he was sent away for being such an embarrassment.

Yes, probably a lot of fooling around, and no way to find out for sure. And one dalliance in a recent generation and all the family tree above it, which we so painstakingly research, is meaningless.

Interesting about EvelDick. Must be very weird to find that out. So many people are going to have surprises, now these dna tests are becoming more commonplace.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A lot of people are hiring their info now. Thankfully, 23andMe matched me as a sibling of my brother and to my first cousin 's son but now they don't come up. But the first match with my brother gave me the genes on our dad's side.

There was a man who contacted me about his father's match. His dad was adopted. I did figure out where we had common ancestors and have him more detail that they ever would have had, but have not heard more.

I did the kit with DNA testing and have gotten quite a number of reports..

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 11:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
What I find annoying is the hundreds of people with matches who don't give any family tree whatsoever in their profile. Or just them and their parents. But I guess people get tested for different reasons, might just be looking for a very close relative or maybe they did the medical test option.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think I have my big family tree.. Actually not sure if it is on Ancestry or 23andme.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, July 04, 2019 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
That was good sleuthing, Kitt! I get annoyed by the people with no trees and those who won't answer an email to explore how we may be related. My sister-in-law has a private tree on ancestry. She said she doesn't make it public because she knows she has errors and doesn't want them to be spread.

A DNA match (Renee) reached out to me and we worked off and on over a year to find our connection. Renee's father had passed away without ever knowing who his biological father had been. His mother would not tell him, and she had passed away. I discovered quickly that we were related on my paternal side. Renee's aunt didn't know who the bio father was but did give her a couple clues that helped in the search. Another DNA match to us finally responded to her email later that year and helped confirm the line I was tracing. I love a good puzzle so kept coming back to it. Finally I decided to put in the time to expand my tree wider, following families of uncles with the surname I now knew to be correct. When all the pieces came together, we found the family. There were two brothers who were in the area and the right age to have been Renee's grandfather. I don't know if she will ever dig further to try to prove which brother, but she is happy to have this information. Now I know Renee is my 3rd cousin once removed. I understand your excitement at pretty much solving your mystery, Kitt. If your family is like mine, they don't have much interest in my big, exciting finds. I've joined a genealogical society and love going to the annual meeting where we can all geek out over each other's amazing discoveries!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 04, 2019 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That's great, Mak. The puzzle is what's appealing to me too. When you first start, everyone is just names on a page, and you don't care, but then you dig down and people become more real, and you become more invested in them.

I've found so many cases where brothers and sisters look after their nieces and nephews, or where the elderly widowed mother moves in with a family member, or has moved in next door to their (grown) children. It makes you feel so good to know they really looked after each other. (It also makes it a lot easier to confirm you have the right family!)

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, July 04, 2019 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Yes! I love the stories and knowing how the families took care of each other (or not ). It's fun to figure out why people moved to new areas and fitting things into historic timelines.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, July 04, 2019 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
If I were to do it, it would simply be curiosity, as I have never done a family tree, and would not know to fill out any family history. But I probably would not do it, mostly because my father was from a dirt poor Illinois farm family of nine children (who lived), and it might just link me (I am old) to first cousins who are wanted for long ago crimes.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Tuesday, July 09, 2019 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Question for those who use PayPal.

I just received an email from PayPal that says they have declined my last transaction for my own safety. then under that they say;

"Dear (my email account)
As you know, your last transaction was recently declined. What you may not know is that it was because Your transaction looks suspicious or someone using your account without your permission so we limit your account.
Let's make sure it doesn't happen again. For your safety, we must confirm you are indeed the account holder to prevent fraud." then there is a button saying confirm now.

At the top it says;

RE: [SECURE] [DECLINE-ACCESS] We declined your last transaction for your safety [Order Id - 00872] [FWD]- [9178-1147112-1695]

That last set of numbers look like a bank routing number but it doesn't match any numbers on my checking accounts. I am reluctant to tap the confirmation button because I have not used PayPal for any transactions in 6 months or longer.

Could it be a scam? The URL for the message is

What would you do?

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, July 09, 2019 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Sounds like a scam. I would see if I could contact totally separate from this email and see what they say.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Tuesday, July 09, 2019 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the quick response, Mack. Yes, I will call PayPal directly, to question this. Thank you.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 09, 2019 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
You could just log into your Paypal account as well, and see if there are any alerts on your account.

The url intl.paypal.com is a known scam, posted on the Paypal website.