TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 28, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through January 28, 2019 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My pup is a border terrier -- known diggers. It's suggested to "plant" chicken wire fencing below your fence to keep pups contained.

We do have plenty of coyotes here. Enough for a Facebook page -- Coyote Sightings in Lombard.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There are coyotes in Manhattan.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
War, look up coyote rollers, you would install them along the top of your fence. Off pipe that rolls.

Coyotes can go over 10 foot fences.

The ones here are habituated to humans.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Wargod, I also live in a small mostly residential community, surrounded by desert in Arizona. It is where the Mojave Desert meets the Sonoran Desert. Lots of wild life all around to include at least two fairly large packs of coyotes, one on each side of the town. Sometimes at night I can hear the coyotes out in the desert closest to my house and then hear the coyotes on the other side of town answering them.

The coyotes here are very accustomed to humans. They have no real fear of us. I have seen them from a distance of a quarter mile up the road and I have seen them cross the road within ten feet of me and my dog. In each case it was a lone coyote, not a pairing or part of a pack. When they are alone, they are not much danger to adults. They pretty much ignores us.

But if they are in a group, they might decide to try intimidating a lone person. Even then, a single adult can usually scare them off by yelling loudly, making yourself appear larger by waving your arms around and if you wearing a jacket or coat, open it up as you wave your arms around. Being loud and aggressive like that will usually do the trick. But that only works for adults and large teenagers, not smaller kids or toddlers.

With pets, cats and puppies are called "coyote bait". I have never heard of a way that actually works to keep a coyote out of your property if you have something they want. The larger dogs are a challenge for them, but they are very smart and resourceful. One of their favorite tricks to take on a larger dog; A single female will approach the dog and get the dog to chase her. The coyote will lead the dog right to the pack and the pack will attack the dog. That is why you never let your dog off the leash where it might be enticed to chase a lone coyote.

Spring is coming and there will be more coyotes around and on the hunt to feed the newly born pups.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The coyotes and I have successfully co-existed for 18 years now. Many nights I can hear them yipping and howling to warn away intruders.

I only have a four foot fence, but I've never had one come in the yard. I have seen and heard them in my pasture. And I have bunches of lovely rabbits in my yard that would make a nice dinner.

That said, my cats are indoor cats. Not only because of the coyotes, but because of the great horned owls, eagles and hawks that live here.

Coyote roll fence does work well, if you are concerned that they may come in your yard. I don't think a vegetable garden would attract them, since they don't eat vegetables and as long as you aren't attracting other tasty critters. But if your fence is sufficient, you should be fine.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(Kar, with your horses, your rabbits, and your pets, your ranch sounds like this city-slickers slice of heaven. Not sure what to think about the coyotes though... here we have raccoons roaming through outdoor garbage bins and stuff, usually at night.)

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 11:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Oh thank you, that was another question I had that I forgot about them getting over fences. I'll have to check out the coyote roll fence.

I'm not sure if we'll have problems with them in the yard. We haven't seen any yet, but have heard them several times over the last few days. I have seen quite a few rabbits, squirrels, a lizard, and tons of birds, only the birds in my backyard. It is pretty cool to sit and watch the critters out the front window.

My dogs are inside dogs and spoiled rotten, lol. PJ's in bed with Darren, Ollie has already gone to bed with Kota, and Cleo wandered off to grandmas room a while ago. They are used to having the back door open during the day to come in and out as they want, they go out back to run and play (they still aren't quite sure what to do with so much more backyard here,) and PJ, especially, likes to go lay on the patio when the sun is out. I haven't gotten quite comfortable enough to do that with them yet here.

My nephew (they've lived out here for 6 years or so now) was telling me the other day that he hasn't seen coyotes near their house, though he has seen them in the distance, like from the school bus. Snakes, on the other hand, are a problem, bad enough their dad has to go out and check the yard before him the his little sisters can go out to play.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 1:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What Treasure describes echoes what we have had happen here. Coyotes hunting in groups, coyotes luring larger dogs by acting like dogs playing. Coyotes don't play that way but they have learned.

I don't know about vegetables but they DO eat fruit.

And they don't like pet food, but here they have learned that pet food outside = pets outside and pets = coyote food.

War, I think, I hope, your area, being less densely built up than mine, still gives the coyotes a space where they can hunt and prey that isn't pets but I just don't know.

Mame, there are actually larger hybrids in your area coy wolves.. where they have become another breed, almost and they are in Toronto, I've heard (youtubes).

We used to have more open space here and the coyotes were not such a problem.

In our complex we have a woman, Debora Martin,, who wrote a book about coyotes and she works with fish and game people and gives lectures about coyotes. She goes into our local canals on two sides of our complex and hazes coyotes and she also buys wolf or bear urine crystals and puts them around the edges here. Hard to say if it helps but it seems to help some.

Most of the outside cats here were eaten years ago.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 3:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Odd, until this conversation I hadn't realized I have not seen a single cat roaming the neighborhood since we moved in.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 3:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
On Flipping Out, didn't Jeff have a problem with coyote one season? He made an employee pee around the edges of his property, among other things. I can't remember what happened in the end, but I'm pretty sure they found out that the human Lee doesn't do anything.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mame... I do love it here.

And we have raccoons too, but they don't bother me often. Once, when one of my cats slipped out and I set a trap for him, I caught a raccoon. S/he was not happy and I did not know they could growl like bears. I had to call my DS to come help me let him out of the trap!

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I hate raccoons! They are not cute. They are mean. They are destructive. Have I mentioned I don’t like raccoons?!?!? 😳😬

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Don't see raccoons around here. (Knock on wood.). We have coyotes, foxes, and skunks and . . . Canada geese. Have I mentioned that I very much dislike Canada geese?! Dirty, filthy, leave "green sausages" wherever. The bigger the flock the more . . . . Ugh!

I mentioned my dislike of Canada geese on Facebook page for local wildlife center. That caused a number of posts (not from center) with opposing views on those geese. I'd be willing to be some $ amount that those posters don't have Canada geese around where they live or walk.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
My sister used to feed her cat out side and also end up feeding raccoons, she thought they were adorable, I, on the other hand, can never forget that quiet summer night when the windows were open for a fresh breeze and the night was pierced by horrific screams. I looked out the window and the sound was coming from a tree close to the window, so I got a flash light only to see a raccoon enjoying a late night snack of live squirrel, eating from feet first. it lasted for over 20 minutes, I tried using a hose from the ground under the raccoon, I tried throwing rocks from the window, nothing had any effect. I should have gone and got my neighbor with the musket.
Yeah I hate raccoons.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Colour I loathe those geese too. And I'm Canadian. ;) When I worked at IBM at their call center years ago, the walk to the door from the bus stop was treacherous because path from the road to the door was on on a slight incline, with a manicured grassy area that went all the way to the front of the building. And DOZENS of these geese would congregate. I heard stories about how vicious they could be and some of the other employees have gotten bitten. So I was terrified. Plus the sidewalk pathway was often covered in Goose pooppies. Icky!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Raccoons have been known to kill cats, too.

And on a Dr Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet from 2016, his associate was vaccinating two Wallabys at a rescue outside of Denver and said besides being carried by bags in Colorado, rabies is carried by raccoons, so many animal who might for in contact needed vaccination.

I like Canada geese in theory. We often have large numbers of them in our largest park here, but they sure leave a mess.

We have possums, skunks, raccoons, foxes, coyotes in my neighborhood.. And ducks, egrets, herons.. And feisty hummingbirds.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
Canadian geese were endangered at one time. They are not now. They are becoming a real nuisance because their numbers are getting so great. In Windsor, sometimes they are stopping traffic! (And I swear, they KNOW what they are doing and "thumbing their noses" at us!)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Lol Y2k, ITA!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've seen them stop traffic on major highways in Toronto. They just happily march across without a care in the world.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I like the idea of animals interrupting traffic..

But I do understand that this is frustrating.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
15-20 minutes, a little amusing. 45-60 not so much, Seamonkey.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
1 minute is too long to wait for Canada geese. My car is little, but it's bigger'n a goose.

Seamonkey, hummingbirds. . I've only ever seen a very few around here. They can't be any kind of a problem?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hummingbirds fight each other. The males are highly territorial. They rarely disrupt traffic.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
No traffic disrupted by hummers, but they are bold, highly competitive and unafraid.

I have had them come right up to my face.

They are very territorial about their food sources.

And they click..

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, January 28, 2019 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
When I had my border collie, I would take her to the park early in the morning, and walk her off leash, she would try and herd all the geese into the water, and they did not like it, they seemed afraid of border collies, I had to be careful because police did not like dogs off leash even trained dogs. after a few weeks no more Canadian geese, now they have border collie flat silhouettes in the park, does nothing. Never during breeding season when the geese are really dangerous, even so, one day they did turn on us and come flying after us, we ran.... they swooped down toward my head, so I put up my ever present hoodie. now the park is green and goopy, I miss my border collie. we would walk 4 miles doing all the parks in town.