TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 14, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 14, 2019 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 6:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hi Doc, Maybe in olden days of yore, parcel deliveries were done in the back of the house?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
That is a thought Mame.

Trash collectors used to come to the back yards.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Our house in Detroit had a side entrance and that had a doorbell, as did the front door. There was a milk chute by the side door where the milkman delivered milk, cream and eggs. It had a cast iron door on the outside, and there was an inside door too. That way the items were kept cold but didn't freeze. That door was outside the gate to the back yard.

According to Zillow it was built in 1939, another site says 1937.

My town home just has a doorbell in front, but many of my neighbors have converted the bonus room over the garage and rent it out and some have a doorbell in back by the garage because their renter comes in and out via the garage.

Built in 1961, I think.

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
Bob, Calculus Rhapsody was great!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sea.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My sister's house has both a front and back doorbell.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I am guessing the back doorbell was for tradesmen deliveries, such as ice to the icebox.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, December 24, 2018 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thanks Hecka and Juju

We do have a coal chute.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, December 24, 2018 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Probably my late bil installed it. A lot of people (family) come in the back door.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, December 24, 2018 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Okay, then if you have a coal chute, likely ice deliveries were received at the back door in the same era.

House I was born in had a coal chute, but coal furnaces were no longer used by the time of my birth.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 24, 2018 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We had the milk chute, a mail chute, a laundry chute (3 floors worth) and a chute for ashes from the fireplace down to the basement.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
We do have a laundry chute. I don't know why they went out of favor.

I use mine every day. There is no need for a clothes hamper.

I never shoveled coal either Juju. We have a boiler in the basement and radiators.

Sea, I am having trouble picturing a milk chute.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, not exactly a chute. Outside was a cast iron door. The milkman would remove the empty bottles and load in the milk, eggs.. whatever had been ordered.

The other side of the compartment opened inside on the landing between the back door and the kitchen. There was also a broom closet there and it was at the top of the stairway to the basement.

The mail chute also had inside and outside doors but the mail slid at an angle into the house.

The laundry chute started in the floor upstairs, there was an opening in the first floor bathroom and contents travelled down to the basement where there were laundry tube and mom had her washer and dryer.

In summer she hung sheets outside on lines but also had lines in the basement for winter

It really was a nice little house.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
my house was built in 42, had a front and back door bell (that never worked for me, last saw the previous home owner messing with it.) I had a coal chute that was replaced pretty early by an oil tank. have a mail slot, but it has two flaps but goes straight in and can get very cold. which is why I have a storm door. my apartment in Weehawken (built around 1900) had a small door in the wall of the kitchen we were on the 4th floor. I think it acted as a cooler in the spring, fall, and winter because the wall had mesh on the out side exposing it to the air.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
The front door bell never worked either since we got the house. We moved there in the fifties.

One day when we had an electrician over for some other problem we asked him if could fix the front door bell.

He looked at it and said "Get a knocker"

Our mail slot was in the garage door. It was one of those old kind of doors that opened like barn doors.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Dogdoc, you can get a battery operated one. That is what I have... It's a doorbell outside and has a hand held ringer that runs on AA batteries. I have it set on top of the thermostat and now I have a doorbell.

These condos were built in the late 70's and they have a push button doorbell on the door below the peephole. BUT when you have a security screen door no one can get to it, so the battery powered doorbell works great, no wiring.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
We had both front and back door bells growing up. The back door bell only had one chime and the front played a little musical tune. My neighborhood friends used the back door, the grocery boy used the back door, the cleaning lady used the back door. I can't remember if the meterman rang the bell or not, I don't think so. Our meters were in the basements and he had to come in to read them.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I sort of have a door bell, if a barking dog can be called a door bell.

Biloxi, did you know how old your house was?

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
Barking dogs are the best door bell. My girls will bark at the sound of any door bell, real, tv, imagined.

I think the house was built sometime in the 40's.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
If the house is still intact, you can look up the address. Zillow and other sites list the year built. This may or may not be accurate, as there were discrepancies between sites on our former Detroit house.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
I forgot about Zillow. I just looked it up, 1929.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, January 14, 2019 - 7:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
So today I’m going out to “contract” some movers to come help us move furniture in the house. The situation is that we went out and bought a new mattress this weekend. Actually we decided to go from a queen to a king size bed. That also meant buying a new bed and we found a king size sleigh bed that comes close to matching our full bedroom set. So now the master bedroom queen size bed needs to go upstairs to the guest bedroom and the bed in the guest bedroom needs to come downstairs to be sold. Makes me feel old but no way my wife and I can move that much furniture up and downstairs. Neighbors and a couple of beers? Not happening. We’re all in our 60’s +/- with assorted ailments like bad backs, arthritis, and bad knees. Sigh.......the mind is willing but the flesh says no way.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, January 14, 2019 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I know what you mean, Mack. Things that we would not even thought twice about even 10 years ago just aren't going to happen now.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, January 14, 2019 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I think of it as getting wiser.

Let somebody younger do the work. Their bodies can still take it.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, January 14, 2019 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Ok. Back from errands and movers all booked. New stuff comes Saturday so movers coming Thursday.