TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 22, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through January 22, 2019 users admin

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, This is the rack I've used in the microwave for years, just cover with a couple of paper towels and the best part is I still have the bacon grease for other cooking projects. Bacon Rack

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
As Jmm can probably attest it doesn’t make a big mess and is easy to clean. We use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwaveable-Slanted-Defroster/dp/B01NGTV9CJ/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1547777078&sr=8-18&keywords=microwave+bacon+cooker

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have ONE piece of bacon for breakfast, cut in half to make the serve appear larger. I place the pieces side by side on one section of that variable size paper towel and put that on a plate in the microwave. I nuke it for between 50 seconds and a minute and ten seconds, depending on thickness, which results in a not crisp and not limp piece of bacon. Two pieces, actually, since I cut one piece in half.

Kirkland brand is good, Smithfield is good, Oscar Mayer is good. Some of the cheaper ones have too much of a lard taste for me.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks very much. That looks pretty good! Maybe I'll give it a try.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, January 18, 2019 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I also like the microwave method using thick sliced, much easier to make crispy. I look for the package with the most lean bacon, don't care for the mostly fat ones. Agree with Juju, Smithfield and Oscar Myers are good. Not familiar with Kirkland.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 18, 2019 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think I use Smithfield.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, January 18, 2019 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I buy Garrett Valley because it doesn't contain any nitrates or caramel color which both cause cancer. I will never buy Smithfield again because the Chinese own them now. I never ate much of Smithfield before that anyway because I always thought they were just to large and who knows how they treated their animals or what they fed them. I just imagine it will only get worse now. But that's just me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, January 18, 2019 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

Agree with Juju, Smithfield and Oscar Myers are good. Not familiar with Kirkland.

Kirkland is Costco house brand. It is also reasonably priced, like 3 pounds for $10.99, something like that. Costco is one company that I believe will not risk your health or safety to make a buck.

Thanks for allowing me to never again buy Smithfield bacon, Grooch. Damn! I have long believed Smithfield is a reliable company.

At ONE piece of bacon per day, I feel sort of safe that the add-ins may not kill me before other stuff does. Yes, I am getting wild and crazy in my old age, taking unimaginable risks, like eating one half of one small grapefruit per day as well.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Juju, grapefruit will dissolve you tooth enamel.

You must rinse your mouth out after each meal! lol

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Grapefruit is only a risk if you are on one of the meds that don't play well with grapefruit.

I am, so if I liked grapefruit, I would abstain.I

https://www.drugs.com/article/grapefruit-drug-interactions.html

quote:

Drugs or toxins are usually broken down (metabolized) so that they can be eliminated from the body. Grapefruit or grapefruit juice can alter enzymes in the body and affect how drugs are changed in the body before they are eliminated.

Grapefruit juice decreases the activity of the cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) enzymes that are responsible for breaking down many drugs and toxins. Grapefruit contains compounds known as furanocoumarins that block the CYP3A4 enzymes. When grapefruit juice is consumed, the enzyme’s ability to break down the drug for elimination is decreased. Blood levels of the drug may rise, resulting in the risk for new or worsened side effects.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I had a pharmacist tell me the other day that you would have to drink a gallon of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, because the harmful elements of grapefruit juice break down very quickly, to be at risk.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 19, 2019 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have had pharmacists and doctors tell me otherwise. Not a real issue since I don't like grapefruit, don't drink any fruit juices, just water and I do take Lipitor.

With some interactions the effects can be avoided just by scheduling the two items at different times.

Biotin interacts with Lipitor but when I took Biotin, I just took it in the morning and the Lipitor at night, per the pharmacist. Stopped the Biotin, so no issue there.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I love fresh grapefruit but all the mixed information about it with meds, scares and confuses me so I don’t eat it.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I take Zocor, generic name Simvastatin, which comes with a warning not to consume grapefruit. That’s a bummer as I really like a fresh grapefruit for breakfast. I’ve never asked my doctor or pharmacist about eating grapefruit in the morning since I take the statin in the evening before I go to bed. Might bring that up next visit.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mack, looks like you and I take the Statins most affected. If you really crave grapefruit, maybe a different med would allow you to get your grapefruit back, assuming the med was covered and worked for you.

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/grapefruit-and-statins

Atorvastatin/Lipitor has worked very well for me But I had a friend who had horrible side effects.I

I remember way back when I started, my cholesterol was really high, but my doctor at the time was not concerned. He retired, and my new doctor (still my doctor)'WAS concerned.

My insurance at the time pushed a different drug, but My doctor pushed back.

Now those are older drugs, generic and cheaper, but there are other choices.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
What is really high cholesterol? My total cholesterol is usually around 250 - 260. When I first started seeing my current doc who I really like he said a drug for it. NO, I am not into drugs. Maybe it was around that time that I started consuming olive oil. I don't cook. Every other night I'd have whole wheat pasta with olive oil, etc. on it. And for a while I've been spraying olive oil heavily on pop corn. Now my HDL is very high. That is good. So high that it negates my total cholesterol number. My doc is no longer concerned about my high total number.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mine was 365.

Kearie

07-21-2005

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kearie a private message Print Post    
Anyone else hear of taking red yeast to lower your cholesterol? It worked to lower mine.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I had to look red yeast up. I had never heard of it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Weight loss, better diet and exercise.. take a much lower dose of medication these days.

Statins contribute to blood vessel health, which lowers risk of heart attack or stroke a bit.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, January 20, 2019 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
365!! . There was a period of time when I was going to all you can eat fried fish on Fridays. Could have been up that high then.

My BMI is on the border of being underweight. Always say my diet is not the best, but also far from the worst. I am sedentary.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
New question...

Since deciding to move to California City, with lots more desert and open spaces and fewer neighborhoods and homes, I've been concerned about coyotes. I have two little dogs, PJ weighs about 9 pounds, Cleo 10 and a half, that I worry about more than Ollie who is about 75 pounds of big dog.

I've been reading about it and Cal City sent out an alert earlier this week that this is about the time of year to start seeing them (along with somewhere around September.) I've read about not leaving small dogs and children in your yard alone, keeping them (the dogs, that is) on leashes when out for walks, how you can bury barbed wire near/under your fence so they can't dig their way in (I'm not sure I agree with that, I love my dogs and they are family, but the idea of doing something to hurt any animal is sickening to me,) not leaving food out and what to do if they come in your yard...make noise, lots of noise to scare them away. Oh, and my bil suggested Darren go out and pee around the fence line. I pointed out I didn't see that happening and bil laughed and said spraying ammonia around the fence would do the same thing.

Ok, so some questions for anyone who lives where there are coyotes (we did in Lancaster but they didn't come into well established neighborhoods, mostly the more out there spots in town.) We have a wood fence around the entire back yard that is solid...no loose boards or broken boards or gaps, we checked before we brought the dogs out. Anyway, besides barbed wire, to make sure coyotes aren't coming in the yard? How big of a risk is it? And when they say, don't leave food around...what about a veggie garden? Would that make it more likely we'd have coyote visitors?

For now, we are just being extra cautious with the dogs. I don't leave the door open like I normally would for them to come in and out whenever they want, we go outside with them, and check the yard.

Oh and yesterday I got a new alert about rattlesnakes! Yay! I've been pondering xeriscaping the back yard with some plants and rocks and now I'm thinking the dirt is just lovely. Cuz while we might still get snakes in the yard, at least they don't have anywhere to hide!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Coyotes. I live in a residential area in the 'burbs west of Chicago. We got coyotes (and foxes and skunks). Recently a small dog in the area was attacked and killed by a coyote. Owner had let the dog out in their fenced yard to do its biz as usual. Coyote got in somehow. I have seen coyotes in the distance in this area. I live in a condo so no fenced yard for me. Few months ago on my last trip out late night with my 16 lb pup on a 4' leash saw a coyote purdy close up. It was trottin' down the street -- kept on going. You may think your fenced yard is safe, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We have coyotes here in San Antonio and for the most part are extremely shy and they stay away from humans. Unfortunately for the “most part” does not mean all the time. Occasionally they are forced by drought conditions to come closer and actually into some communities looking for water and small game. In a community small game to a coyote means small dogs and cats and two years ago I actually found a small dead yearling deer in my front yard that had obviously been attacked by a dog and probably a coyote. That said in 15 years I’ve personally only seen one when I was up at 4 AM and there was one standing in our cup de sac. A friend who lives just 2 miles away, and actually closer to town, has a house that overlooks a maybe 60-70 acre flood control area that passes for a park when not flooded. You can sit on his deck and hear the coyotes.....several of them....howl below you. Spooky and cool at the same time.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have not heard of planing barbed wire, but I have heard digging around your property line and putting cement block or chicken wire in to keep dogs inside.
I live urban and I just have skunks. lots and lots of skunks. and newts and squirrels and mice. and raccoons and wild turkeys that chase you down the street and possum.