TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 07, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 07, 2018 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You have extensive CC&Re (Covenants, Codes and Restrictions) but then things may change in terms of local, state IF federal law.

I am not in a condo association but in a townhomes community where we jointly own the land. We are responsible for inside maintenance but the association maintains the grounds, pool, outside lighting, tennis court, roofing, streets, parking, painting, and insurance on same. And we have a board. And management. We also have an outside company to handle security and parking.

But the laws.. We had to do extensive changes to the pool drains because there had been people whose hair was caught in pool drains. Any community pool where children swam had to have these changes, or the pool had to be drained. That helped raise our dues.

(In another lifetime, I would buy in a complex without amenities that I do not use)

And then we had an attorney who interpreted the language of our documents such that they suddenly outlawed any items on the common area, which starts 5 inches from outside walls, and we're told we had to remove potted plants, shoes, bicycles, toys, chairs... So the association would not be sues. Nevermind that this complex was built in the sixties and we never had this 5 inch rule enforced.

They seem to have lightened up, or got a different attorney.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh.. a key point.. If we don't have people who will serve on the board, outside people will be appointed and rule the roost, which most people see as a bad thing.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I appreciate all this info. The prez who resigned does property management for a living so for the age of this building, it's in pretty good shape, things kept up to date. He no longer has enough time to "manage" the building he lives in along with all the others.

I'm pretty sure we will have unit owners here that will serve on the board, but not to the extent (manage) that the resigning prez did. So therefore an outside management company.

Our finances are good. Building is kept in operating condition. Just had lobby and hallways redecorated. We haven't had a special assessment for a good number of years. Knock on wood. Building gets commendations from the village for it's appearance.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, December 01, 2018 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, yours sounds exactly like mine, but our is a condominium association (I think, hmmmmmm).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 1:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We have 34 buildings. One clubhouse and 33 4 townhouse buildings.

No ponds or bridges, though. Kiddie playground, half basketball court, pools, tennis court. Gardeners.

I think this is what ours is.

https://www.redfin.com/resources/what-is-a-planned-unit-development

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Sounds a lot like ours, except we don't own a specified lot, so we can't fence it in, except our small patios can have a small deck or a fence like enclosure (maybe).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Same here, there is a fence between patios that are between our town homes and garages, but everything else is common area.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 12:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q:
do you know about the medic alert stuff? I have realized that I am concerned that I could die without anyone knowing so I am wondering what is the best method of watching over my life?

I don't have anyone who I talk to on a daily basis and that has been bothering me. So I think i need to find away to take care of this because I have realized that I don't sleep at night because I am afraid I might die.

I always think that if it there is sunlight that I will be okay, so I stay awake during the night. I don't think this is good for me, but I am afraid to sleep. So if I could find a method to handle this I would be able to handle my fears.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 3:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A friend had a watch she wore so she could hit a button (at home) and it would notify the service. They could talk to her or just call 911 for her.

She also checked in with them daily. If she didn't they were to check when it no response they would call for a welfare check.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
((((Dipo)))) Before we moved her to our city to live with us, apparently my mother had a service where some lady phoned her every morning.

Firebird05

08-24-2001

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Firebird05 a private message Print Post    
Dipo a lot of areas have check in call services that you can sign up for. You get a daily call at the same time everyday. If you don’t answer they call someone on your list and notify them. Check with your local police dept to see if they offer it.

There is also Care Checkers ot I Am Fine. They charge a monthly fee usually less than 15.00 a month.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Firebird, that is what I needed to know, now I can do some googling.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Dipo, my friend lived in a senior community and the company she signed up with gave them a price break.

The check-in allows the person a timeframe so they don't miss a call and set off an alert.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It's so funny about 5 years ago I met with a "techie" friend and told her she should develop an app where people could check in, she was short sighted and said that was what the medical alert stuff was for, but I was talking about single people who live alone and don't go into an office every day or are retired.

I mean my cats know if I am ok, but they can't call anyone, they refuse to learn that trick, LOL.

Now I see that Care Check has an option where you can just text in everyday so that someone knows you aren't tied up in the garage, LOL. Just what I was thinking of and someone made it happen.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That sounds perfect, as long as there is an alternate to texting. I should look into that.

My friend just pushed a button and talked to them.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
ha ha Dipo I thought the same thing about my dogs.
you are right I do need to check in every day, I had a friend who checked I posted on line every day but our board closed, then she joined facebook so I joined then she left they we both joined another board, but I decided it was probably run by the Russians, long story and had to quit. Now no one takes responsibility for me anymore. but my niece checks once a week. I guess I have to look into my town services they have a lot of senior stuff.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Funny you should mention your cats and them not learning to dial 911. I’m the servant to cats so I know what you mean. I got a bit of a chuckle out of a little tidbit about President Bush’s service dog Sully. Sully was trained to watch him at night and alert to signs of distress. Sully was trained to push a button that would alert the President’s medical staff down the hall. Sully performed that duty as needed and was rewarded with a treat. Sully quickly connected pushing the button with treats and apparently would push the button when he wanted a treat whether the President needed help or not. Smart dog.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahahaha, Mack that is hysterical. I am sure my cats would do the same thing to get treats, LOL.

Yeah, I am online everyday but if I wasn't no one would know who to call, LOL. I am signed up for a service through our fire/police; they have my contact number but someone has to call them first.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NEW: How bizarre that the Southwest Jet skidded off the runway in Burbank, never heard of a plane sliding off the runway. So weird.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Dipo and others, here's a good article with information about check-in services. Some are free and some have a nominal cost. Check-In Services.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
And I swear I read somewhere a while back where a cat was actually trained to call 911 if the owner was not responsive.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, December 07, 2018 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I am going to check out Check-In Services. I am in the same situation. I live alone and have NO family. I live in a condo so eventually someone would probably notice I hadn't been seen for a few days. That did happen here earlier this year. A unit owner was discovered deceased after a couple days.

Thinking the other day . . . I do have cousins, but none in this area at all. I'm sure there are those out there -- only child of parents who were only children and never married or had children. Extreme alone.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 07, 2018 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A woman who went to our Curves before it closed died a few months ago. She had a guide dog, Cheddar. Apparently even in an apartment complex for active seniors, and with Cheddar, who never barked, barking to get help, only after complaints did they do a welfare check.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 07, 2018 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
That's so sad Seamonkey. I pay attention when dogs are acting differently here, I have been known to go and check when I hear barking that isn't normal.

Collordeagua, that is what I wanted it for, I have my sister but she is crazy busy with work so we don't talk everyday. I like the one where you text / email them, that fits with my lifestyle.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, December 07, 2018 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
If I was in your position, Dipo, I would consider getting one of these life alert systems. LINK

My family jokes every year that we are going to get one for each for Christmas. But, we haven't yet. If an emergency happens, what good is waiting for a phone call the next morning? I had a friend who was cleaning her gutters and fell off the ladder and broke her leg. She lives alone and she had to drag herself to the front of her house, get up the stairs into her house to get to her phone to call for help. What if she had hit her head and was knocked out? I have more examples why one one be a good idea, but I won't bore you with them.

I just think these devices are a good idea if you live alone.