TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 26, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through November 26, 2018 users admin

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
New question especially for anyone who's worked HR. Can your company require you to use your paid holiday as your day off for the week? We are closed on Sunday and then have another random day during the week off. Our Regional Director said this morning that we would be required to use Christmas and New Year's Day as our days off. Any ideas?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes they can do that. It's pretty common to force people to use PTO over the Christmas/New Year period.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It's not against the law. It's stupid, but not illegal.

Employers aren't required to give you holidays off at all, so in essence they are just dictating your day off for that week.

Kitt, I'm guessing their day off isn't PTO, it's without pay.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Cough, cough, I seem to have developed a tickle in my throat and I'm sure by Christmas it will be much worse. Do I feel guilty? No, I just had my 3 year anniversary and I've taken exactly 1 sick day. So no guilt here.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
JMM, you had best take care of that tickle and not let it get worse. Maybe wait a couple days, but then if it doesn't clear up, best stay home to make sure you are on the mend.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
JMM, you look really bad I think you need at least a week off to get over whatever you have!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
JMM goodness knows you'd be doing a good deed by staying home and not sharing your germs with your coworkers. 😇

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, November 19, 2018 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
LOL guys. Thanks for having my back.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 3:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm confused. Is this something new that they are doing with the days off?

It sounds funny to me, like they may be in some financial trouble and trying to get their accrued payroll down on the books (maybe they need a loan or want to sell the company), or maybe they think they will be cashed strapped at the holidays? I don't know, something seems fishy to me.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I guess it depends on the industry. For instance I can see this happening in the retail industry...because stores are just so busy during the holiday that they cannot afford to have an employee off an "extra" day.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It's part of the trend to offer employees fewer and fewer benefits unfortunately.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
When I was working, Tuesday and Sunday were my days off.

One week, when there was a Monday holiday coming up a coworker asked "Are you going to work Tuesday since you had Monday off"?

I didn't know what to think. It never occurred to me to work on my day off.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking "NO" would have been an appropriate answer...LOL!

Would your coworker have not worked their day off since they too obviously got Monday off? Of course the people who might get a bad deal are the people who normally took Monday off.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I did say "no". lol

Jmm

08-15-2002

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I work for a loan company and this is our busy time of year but I did talk with my manager today and explained that I wasn't happy about it. I explained that at my age I need that extra day in a week to rest from the holiday. We'll see what she can get done about it.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
At my former law firm we weren't allowed to take any time off between Thanksgiving and Christmas due to the type of law we practiced (employee benefits - at that time every benefits plan had to be filed with the IRS on or before December 31 - fortunately they went to a staggered system later in the game so only certain plans have to be filed in any given year). I don't think I could do that now...that was pre-child so it didn't matter as much but now I would be super annoyed!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Ok, this is a really dumb question.

I bought an jogging outfit on line. When it arrived I found that there no pockets.

I am someone who always needs a Kleenex in my pocket.

Since I hate to sew, I wondered if anybody knows if some store sells just pockets that can snapped on or something. I could sew a snap on. lol

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Dogdoc, what a clever idea but I haven't heard of anything like that. I wonder if you could find some sort of pouch thing and safety pin it to the pants.

Or, find a seamstress/tailor and see if they can add pockets. If it is a nice outfit it might be worth the price to have it altered to be the way you really want it.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo. It is just a cheap outfit from Haband (hence the lack of pockets).

A pin-on pouch sounds good.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
There are some velcro type add a patch that might work, but I'd go with seamstress.

The velcro is sticky taped on to both sides, and then you add a pocket/patch via the velcro.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Or maybe a small fanny pack?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fanny+pack&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=78683854315608&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_76dp3b6opy_e

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Don't know how these work, but a stick on phone-sized pocket?

https://www.gopocketgo.com/

Bonus - made of recycled materials!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Also fabric glue works:

http://thatcheapbitch.com/2015/05/diy-pocket-on-shirt/

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Wow. Thank you KitKat and Karuuna. Good ideas there.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, November 26, 2018 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Or what about those phone cases that strap around your arms? You could probably stick a tissue under them (assuming you are exercising since you are wearing a jogging outfit).

Of course, in my case there's the "bra purse."