TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 22, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 22, 2018 users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 6:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Glad you posted. It reminded me to stop by his garage.

I told him about it, and he said Ford's were notorious for their ignitions. Then he started a long explanation about them. How they have the 2 rabbit ears on the outside, something about the cylinders on the inside, and.... I was thinking how am I going to remember all this and that I should be taking notes.

Then I remembered that you said the other set works. He said then in that case, it's probably that one key has gotten worn down. It could be from putting it your pocket, etc. I asked, even though it still works on the door and trunk? And he said, yes, that those functions aren't as critical as the ignition.

I hope that helps, and sorry that you have this problem. It's ridiculous that a key would cost so much.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Car “keys” can be extremely expensive. I say “keys” because our new cars don’t have a car key in the old sense. Both cars use keyless key fobs. Both have ignition buttons on the dash and all you have to do is press the brake pedal and push the button. The key fob also locks and unlocks the door, operates the trunk/tailgate release and lifter, and you can even remotely start the car. I don’t know the cost to replace my key fob but when we got my wife’s new car a few weeks ago they told her replacements were $400 per fob.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Yikes! $400?

Thanks, Grooch, for the input. And today, my remote for his truck quit working too. Hoping it's just a battery and I can find one cheap.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hecka, it is likely just a button battery, and they now even have those in Dollartree. Open it up and see what the number is. I always keep an extra of those batteries in the glove compartment.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mack, doesn't your fob have a hidden key?

On my Prius and my friend's Camry, there is a way to slide out a "key" that can be used to open the door and to start the car as well, if the battery has died.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, August 17, 2018 - 4:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Yes. Both cars use keyless fobs for normal operation but both have a hidden key in case of fob battery failure. Supposedly that’s part of the expensive replacement cost because even the hidden key is a bit different and not one you could go to a local locksmith to get duplicated. In the case of my wife’s new car they even offered an add-on coverage for the fob. It was like $100 for as long as she owned the car but we didn’t get it. It’s just the two of us and neither of us has misplaced or lost keys in ages if ever.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 17, 2018 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got two fobs with my Prius and only one of me. So far, so good, but it has only been 3 years and 9 days.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, August 17, 2018 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, you know you just got that Prius last spring, and it followed very quickly on that new Camry you had before that.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 17, 2018 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oddly after I payed off the loan on the Prius, my credit score dropped 40 points..

ETA.. Actually, only 29.He

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 11:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks for bringing up that very sore point, Seamonkey. I have NO idea why, but last week I checked on one of our Citibank credit cards that allows us to easily check our FICO scores. I rue the day.

Our score dropped a HUNDRED points since I last checked. (caveat - we had a really high FICO) The drop happened suddenly after April 2018, and the only thing that happened in April 2018, is we paid off the ZERO interest Toyota financing loan on our car that we intended to pay cash for in 2013, but how can you turn down a 0% interest loan? We decided not to worry the FICO score, since we are unlikely to be financing anything of substance in the next several years.

Anybody here feel free to quote or paraphrase this personal testimony without attribution or link to this website.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 12:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, my score actually only dropped 30 points and was almost topped out to begin with, but what can be bad about paying off a loan? Nothing else changed. It did go up 4 points this month, again for no apparent reason.

I pay my bills and I use credit, but pay it off monthly.

That is even crazier that you're dropped 100 points.

And similarly, I don't foresee any credit purchase ahead..

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh wait!!! They are building some new waterfront condos downtown right on a prime piece of waterfront property that had been occupied by a Georgia Pacific pulp mill for a hundred years. I might want to move there.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
The dropping credit score happened to my brother as well. He paid off a new truck in 60 days and his credit went down. Doesn't make sense.

Also remember, your credit score is used for other things besides financing. In my state, it's also used to determine your insurance rates, including the big guys that advertise on TV. Any changes can make a big difference.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I got two key fobs with my Subaru two years ago.

I am the only one driving.

Should I alternate the keys when I use them? Will the batter go bad from disuse?

Firebird05

08-24-2001

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Firebird05 a private message Print Post    
I don’t know Dogdoc but I don’t think so.

As far as Fico scores go. Yes having no debt will drop your score. They are not based on how much money you have in the bank. Even a millionaire can have a low score.
The first thing it’s based on is how much credit is extended to you and how much you use. The more extended the higher your score. But you never want to use more than 40% of that credit.
Second is how to you pay your credit, Before due, when due or pass due. Of course before due is best. Credit companies hate it though whe you pay in full because that means no interest money for them.
Hope that helps.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Firebird05

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I definitely pay before due. I was 13 months ahead on my car loan, but when my financial advisors wanted to move me to different funds, they said it would be best to bring the kids down to the cost basis, so I took out a chunk and part of that went to pay off the loan. When I first got the loan, numbers dropped because in their calculations it was a relatively big loan vs income (but I have no mortgage), then when I was paying ahead and got below some magic percent, the numbers were soaring, paying it off dropped it.

I still use credit, I still pay it off. It isn't a problem, just odd. I never even checked FICO, but now it is there every month on my Discover statement.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have no idea what my FICO score is. I pay credit cards in full monthly few days before they're due. (I've never paid a penny in interest.) No mortgage, no car loan, no nothing like that.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
when I sign on to my bank to pay bills, it always tells me my score whether I want to know or not, because I have no debt, it is just good. not even very good.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Because I have an AOL account, I get free credit monitoring; AND I have an account with Credit Karma (free). So I do check my score whenever I get an alert that there has been a change.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
WOW.... the 17 Samonan firefighters here to help helping the CA fires, are amazing, they have incredible cleaning voices and burst into song frequently!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL "singing"... not cleaning.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I did wonder about those cleaning voices, Dipo. LOL

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have a cleaning voice, but it mostly sings dirges.