TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 15, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 15, 2018 users admin

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Thinks for the summary Color! What a story, it must be overwhelming to find out all that information

Suz

10-13-2005

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Thank you Karuuna. I didn't know where to look and will try that. I wanted to put family history sheets in with a family photo scrapbook.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
The problem we’ve run into on my father’s side is the loss of records during WWII in Germany. My father was first generation US born. Both of his parents were born in Berlin in the late 1800’s and we actually found the records of them immigrating through Ellis Island and moving to a German farming community in southern Michigan. While there are verbal family histories of the family in Berlin we’ve found no records that my father’s parents were even born much less their parents and so on. Through my Mormon sister-in-law we have direct access to the substantial Latter Day Saints databases and not much luck even there. We know, or at least we think we know based on what little my father shared about his time as a POW, that the records existed as late as 1944 as the Gestapo approached my father and tried to get him to defect. They laid out his whole German ancestry including supposed relationship to senior German Army officers. According to him what they laid out matched the family’s oral history.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Suz, Here's the results I found from a google search. Maybe you can get some ideas here. Link

Suz

10-13-2005

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Thank you Jmm.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
You're very welcome.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Question: Is it possible for a bank to debit a checking account without debit showing on statement (or bank account on-line)? I don't have a debit card. I reconcile my bank statement every month. Last month was OK. This month I'm under bank's total figure by $289.33. That amount means nothing to me. Gone over my figures. They're OK. Just back from bank's Personal Banking dept. He couldn't find anything. But there's "something". I have no idea what. Any ideas?

Many many years ago ('70s?) bank made GIGANTIC error in my account. Couldn't be bigger. Couple very minor errors in the years since.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
The only things I can think of right now is to double check your beginning balance on the new statement with the ending balance of last months to make sure they match up.

I'd also check to see if the check amounts they listed, match what the actual check was coded for when it was cashed. Look on the bottom right of the check, they code it for the amount they paid if out. I've had differences between the two before.

And if your difference comes out an even number if you divide it by 9, it's a transposition error. Yours doesn't, but it come very close to 32. I'd look at any checks or deposits that had $32 or $23 in the amounts. Say, a check was for $932, but you're reading it as $923.

None of these will probably work, but it's the best I can come up with.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
End of last month matches with beginning of this. All check amounts and electronic payments match with my amounts. Checks cleared at correct amounts. That happened to me once too -- off by a few cents.

I'm a block from the bank. Saw a Personal Bank a little while ago. Now have a 2:30 appointment with bank manager. I hope this doesn't turn out to be embarrassing for me -- it's not under my nose and I'm not seeing it. I don't think so???

Bank has to be nice to me. My parents bought shares in the bank when it opened in the '60s. I'm a shareholder.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm out of ideas unless it has something to do with outstanding checks.

It's probably something simple that you guys will all get a good laugh at. Nothing to be embarrassed about. It happens to everybody, even them. But, you can always stop somewhere and bring some doughnuts or cupcakes with you to make their day. :-)

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
My wife took over our checking account and paying the bills 20 years ago. It’s all on her computer and I never look at it. If something happens to her I’ll be here with a “plastic bucket” looking for donations ‘cause I have no idea what we have. Sad, very sad........ 🤪😬

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Saw the bank manager. Same guy as the Personal Banker I saw earlier. Well, this time he found what accounted for the 33 cents. (When I balanced last month's statement I didn't actually add that month's interest into my check register. My bad.)

That leaves a round figure of $290. I think I know where error is -- part of my way of doing my register. I'll look for it later.

Thanks for your help. My gray matter just didn't want to do it today.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Didn't find error where I thought I would. During the month, I had one on-line payment of $145. Two times that is $290. Maybe something happened at bank (on-line transaction facility?). Deducted an additional two times from my account without showing on my statement? I just e-mailed asking. Should hear about it tomorrow.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Can't you get a statement from the bank of each transaction by date, rather than just the start and end balances?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I found MY mistake -- something concerning $145 payment. My bad.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

My wife took over our checking account and paying the bills 20 years ago. It’s all on her computer and I never look at it. If something happens to her I’ll be here with a “plastic bucket” looking for donations ‘cause I have no idea what we have. Sad, very sad.

Bigdog does the investment financials at our house, and he does keep me apprised of the usernames and passwords to the various accounts. We both know how to check main bank and credit card accounts. But I have like 300 other online accounts that I "manage". eBay, Paypal, Costco, garbage, water, electric and gas, internet, newspaper subscriptions, auxiliary bank accounts, TONS of stuff. I have started a Doomsday List he is to go check if I become incapacitated, and I go put stuff on it whenever I think something that could be crucial. I keep a shortcut link to it on my computer desktop. Keep in mind Bigdog's mother did live to 111 years old, however.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I do all the bills, balancing the checkbook, and take care of accounts, but Darren knows where all the info is for that stuff. You guys are reminding me I should check that the info is all up to date and easily readable to him as well as me, though!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So funny, I have been thinking about creating a numbered checklist for my sister on what to do first. I already have a list of all the websites with passwords so she can access everything.

But it occurred to me that she might need to know where to start.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 4:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Mack, you should have your wife write up an instruction list for you if, god forbid, something happens to her.

My bil's sister's husband had a stroke recently (he's only in his 40's) and she has no clue about anything. She can't even get money out of the bank. Right now, he is sending her money to help pay the bills (which she has no clue about) until she can get this mess straightened out.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I had my parents make a list of all their bills that they pay, their bank accounts, insurance policies, etc. about 10 years ago. It was immeasurably helpful when my mother passed away unexpectedly because my dad was clueless.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 01, 2018 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
My aunt had this problem when my uncle very suddenly passed away. He did all the financial stuff. Also for some reason his pension was still going into a bank account that was only in his name, and he then transferred what he expected they needed each month into their joint account. When he died, my aunt wasn't allowed access to his account until they'd sorted everything out, so she ended up having to borrow from my parents to see her through, which was awfully stressful for her, on top of everything else. Plenty of money, which I guess is why they never thought about it, just she couldn't access it.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 12:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
when my mom passed away, I was very relieved to be able to say that EVERY account, fund, everything was in both names, and listed as OR. Either she or my dad had total access. she had told me in case of any crisis one of them had to be able to work for both of them.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I just read a 'stranger danger' story on Facebook

My friend is a very cautions mother of three children.

The kids all about stranger danger.

Yesterday her son arrived home in the rain in a pick up truck. An unknown man, smoking a cigarette, dropped her son off.

She was upset. She asked her 8 year old son why he was in the truck.

It seems that the kid was walking home and didn't like the rain. He had seen this man doing yard work before and figured he wasn't a stranger and the kid ASKED HIM for a ride.

That kid in store for a lecture.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I've never heard of this before. My husband's set of Mustang keys quit working. The ignition key will not start the car. My key is the only one that will start the car. His keys still work to open the doors and trunk. That is all though. Really don't want to pay $200 or so to have a copy made.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, my bil is a car mechanic, I can ask him about it next time I see him. What year is the car?