TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 21, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 21, 2018 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Gosh, I've never had that happen to me with a pharmacy.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Weird I haven't ever had a fee, but then I get my meds from Kaiser.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Sunnyday, I use findagrave in my genealogical research too. Just remember the biographical things posted there are not always proven. I'm sure you know that, but wanted to mention in case any new people start using it. I have found lots of ancestors there.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Mak it gives you a good starting point. I also use family search a lot it is also free. I go there to try to prove or disprove what I find elsewhere. Genealogy can be very addictive.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 3:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, it can be addictive! I like family search too. I have a paid membership to ancestry. If there's anyone you want me to look up there, let me know. I'm glad to help my fellow genealogy addicts.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 5:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Thank you for your kind offer and I will keep it in mind. Is Ancestry worth the money? Also have you done any of the DNA testing, I can't decide if I want to.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have been told to avoid Ancestry, though I did enter a huge pedigree that a friend did for me.. And matched to my cousin's daughter and others.

On 23andMe, I matched to my brother, my cousin's son and lots of others.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I think the best way to find out if ancestry is for you is to get the free trial. Download all the records you can as fast as you can! After the trial has expired, and you have cancelled, at some point they will send you offers of big discounts for 6 month memberships. I buy those and then cancel for a while until another deal comes along. All public libraries have free access to ancestry.com. It isn't full access but is substantial. I used to go in and get photocopies of some of the vital records before I broke down and paid for the full access. I did the ancestry.com DNA testing (during a sale which they have a few times per year). It did help me expand my tree and connected me with others working on the same families. I find it interesting. I've downloaded the results to a couple other sites and found more matches but no big breakthroughs.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
I've got a couple of road blocks. I'very seen where other people have added parents,siblings but don't have any sources. I won't add someone without a source. I get the offers from ancestry often, might take them up on it some day.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I added a ton. My late friend Bill did a ton of research. His wife was even related way back to me.

My maternal grandmother was a Hadsell and the family historian published a book going way back so that was a good start.

I really enjoyed entering everything, but that grave site hopefully will let me add even more detail.

Also there is a man who is a cousin on both Ancestry and on 23 and Me. He was adopted and didn't know his birth dad, just that he was in Florida.

I was able to identify where in my pedigree he fits in, and hope I can send her the details, but the file may be too big.

Mak, if I go to my library would I be able to download my pedigree to disfavor a flash drive?

What I have now is on disk but in some other format.

I did the Ancestry DNA test a few years ago, on sale and the complete 23 and me on a really good deal.. I think a Brad's deal.

So I have a ton of reports and they release new ones now and then.

And since my brother did 23 and me, I have my dad's side too.

Oh, I just saw about your paid membership,Mak.. If I get really curious about someone, or later for this cousin looking for his dad.. I don't suspect my dad... But am all for finding out.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 5:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, I don't know if you can download your pedigree at the library. It's worth a try. I am glad to help if there's anything you want me to check out on ancestry.com for you. A DNA matched 3rd cousin and I are trying to find our link. Her late father was adopted and I have determined his bio family was connected to my father's ancestors. The 3rd cousin and I have a shared DNA match who might be able to help, but he hasn't responded to our emails and doesn't have a public tree.

Sunnyday, my tree has some unproven people in it. When I was new to this, and had the free ancestry account, I just added everything I could find to my tree. Gee, what a mistake that was! Now I spend much of my time trying to find sources and cleaning up those early entries. Many people don't even look for proof, so I don't use info from members' trees unless they show their sources.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I was able to use Familysearch.org last night to see more in back of my great great grandfather.. Mcphersons.

And no surprise about the Scots in there but a big German contingent.

And Ancestry agreed with details too.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Friday, June 15, 2018 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Sea I use Family Search all the time, It has really helped me. Is 23 and me a DNA site?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 15, 2018 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes. You can do just your DNA or for more money, get information on the genes they test.

They give you matches from their database and you can message them..

The wife of the guy looking for info on birth has his son on both Ancestry and 23 and Me, and we match on both.

I would love to help him.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Friday, June 15, 2018 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Sea you are such a sweet person.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 15, 2018 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks! Not always, but that is what I strive to be.

Looks like Mak also has a cousin who was adopted.

And having met Mak.. She and Pete are sweet people.

Happy to hear Family Search is legit.. Seemed like it.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, June 18, 2018 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Aw, thanks Seamonkey. We certainly met the sweet side of you.

Family Search and Ancestry are connected in some way. Ancestry provides links to records at Family Search.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 2:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Did anyone see Dateline on Sunday evening. Young woman did DNA thing to find out more about heritage / family because her mother had been adopted and had never been curious about her birth family because she had a very happy adoptive family. Boy, did the young woman find out about family she didn't know she had -- in a good way!!!!!!!!

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
What did she find out about the family Colordeagua? I missed it and I'm curious :-)

Suz

10-13-2005

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know of a good printer for genealogy, maybe one that would print 12 x 12 sheets.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 4:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Dateline. She had been looking for info about her mom's side. She found a match on her dad's side. She had a sister (half) in Vietnam. Her father had a long affair though only briefly physical while he was there. Woman got pregnant just few months before he came home so he didn't know. He said he would have married her if he had known. That probably was true. He and his current wife (2nd) went to Vietnam and found his daughter, her husband, and granddaughter. While there he started paperwork, etc. to bring them to the U.S. They had to leave them there, but eventually they did come to the U.S. That happened not long ago. A lot of family here. Melding the three into family here is going well. Granddaughter (young teen) spoke a little English which helped. She is a cutie / sweet girl. BIG family outdoor BBQ so everyone could meet everyone. That brought the story to current day. Very good show for Father's Day.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We have some family history on my mother’s side of the family thanks to my grandmother’s involvement in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). We’ve found it to be pretty good but not perfect. She based some of her research on a document from early genealogical research that has proven to be in error. Basically she drew direct lineage from an indentured servant who came over on the Mayflower. Turns out he only had daughters so the direct lineage is in error. The confusion was that he had a brother who came to the colonies later on and somehow the records, mostly copies of family bibles, got confused. He did have sons and much more recent research shows direct lineage from them not from the brother on the Mayflower. The interesting thing is that her research revealed she was directly related on her mother’s side to a maybe full Cherokee great grandmother. Apparently it wasn’t acceptable back in her day to acknowledge Native American blood so she hide it from the family and the DAR. Doing simple math I might be 1/8 Cherokee but we’ve never pursued it as the Cherokee Nation requires more proof than we can easily find or validate.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Mack, that's interesting. A lot of early researchers weren't always careful. A lot of wrong information is out that, I have found it in at least 2 of my family lines. My grandfather thought we had Native American blood. I haven't found it yet, it could be through a wife. My sister and cousin have been asked several times if they have Native American ancestors. Back in the early census if you had any Indian blood they wouldn't count you.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You could tell with DNA testing.. we have a tiny amount.. I have more than my brother, but still not much. And no African roots. Blakemore isn',t a common name but in the US A fair number are black.

Have not found a situation of slave owning, in my background.

Quite a few ancestors were here pre-American Revolution.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Suz, not many home printers will print that wide. However, if you search for scrapbook printers, that will get you quite a few, since many scrapbooks are that size.