TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 23, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Ipad : Archive through July 23, 2018 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I just tonight, before coming to this thread, found out I can send and receive text messages from my iPad. I had looked at a text message today on my iphone but hadn't replied, as it was going to be a longer reply on a small screen. I got out my iPad tonight to watch my one hour a day of network television on CBS.com, and while I was getting there I noticed a little number on one of my icons, so I clicked on it, and it was the text I got on my iPhone today! So I tried replying, and my reply got sent!!! I was on Wi-Fi, don't have a SIM card in the iPad. Wow, what a gift that was! I might just get actually addicted to this device.

Going back up in the thread to read the long and detailed posts I skipped over to come reply here before I forgot my train of thought. Have I ever mentioned old age is not for sissies?

Oh! And if anybody here is wanting to safely dispose of a 5s or newer iPhone in good condition but would worry about the hands it might fall into, like a super hacker, I am in the market for one or two iPhones newer than our two 5c's, which are fine, but I think they are 16 GB and a special lower end model made expecially for Verizon to sell with their plans. The low storage worries me a bit, since I am not yet all that conversant with iCloud. And this phone cannot make calls on Wi-Fi. And I only know iPhones can make calls on Wi-Fi because it once asked me if I wanted to do that, and I, of course, said yes, and then it told my my model phone could not make calls on Wi-Fi. LOL.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 11:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I use Apple communication devices....iPhone, iPad and iMac. Love 'em all and still don't know how to use half the stuff they offer. I really should take classes at the Apple Store.

I recently replaced my 12 year old iMac with a mid-2017 iMac which I plan to have hopefully for many, many years to come....and I was surprised today as I was getting to know my new computer when I heard a "ding"....and I received an iMessage (text message) from my daughter on the iMac. Then a few seconds later my iPhone sound went off letting me know that I received a text message (same message from my daughter). I was pleasantly surprised at this awesomeness in technology. I quickly replied to my daughter from my new computer wireless keyboard instead of using my sausage fingers on my little iPhone keyboard....wow, just wow!! LOL!!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, January 12, 2018 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah, that is another thing we need to do, get iMacs, now that I am a brand new unabashed Apple lover. Never saw this coming.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, January 12, 2018 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

I do not have a I phone though and still have a little flip that cost me about 18 dollars a month to use for text and calls.

Chewy, I happened across an advertisement from a local woman on nextdoor.com for two used iPhone 5c's for $225 for the two. We had been using low end LG android phones sold at Walmart for use with Tracfone, which is a low cost carrier that uses Sprint towers. I was able to switch my Tracfone service to the iPhones. I bought unlocked phones, but Tracfone sells very low cost SIM card kits that allow you to put in a SIM card that matches your phone, and you can use your iPhone on Tracfone. I buy the prepaid cards from Tracfone which are good for 90 days of service, and you can buy a card with 60 minutes of phone, 60 texts, and 60 Mb of internet (which is nothing at all, so I just keep that turned it off and use Wi-Fi). But the cards triple with certain phones, iPhones among them, so you are actually getting 180 of each. Then you Google and find a Tracfone code that gives you an extra 60 minutes of telephone.

I am not a heavy phone or text user, so a 90 day card is fine for me, and I have even accumulated services. So that works out to about $7 a month after I bought the used iPhones. Oh, and if I upgrade to a later model iPhone, those phones have the option of making phone calls over Wi-Fi, which mine does not, so I will accumulate even more phone time.

And if 60 texts a month are not enough, you can buy a $5 card from Tracfone that will give you 500 texts, maybe more. Likewise, if you run out of time before 90 days, you just buy another or a bigger card.

I pretty much love Tracfone, although it does take some active managing.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Friday, January 12, 2018 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Thank you very much Juju' My Daughter wants me to get a I phone so bad, but I have been
resistant, But that does sound good.

I do want to say though that after using the I pad, I do love apple products and consider getting something bigger as my desktop (windows) is on its last legs.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have had a Skype account for year. I have never had to pay for it. Mostly I Skype to Honduras. The phone calls are free too.

Yes, it's all free EXCEPT for *text* messaging. So you can message people if they have Skype also. You can't message them from Skype to their regular cell phone unless you get a paid account.

Hope that makes sense.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Ok, I guess I don't know what messaging is v typing a message.

Thanks Karuuna.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Skype messages only appear to other Skype users. So you could not send a message to me, because I don't have Skype.

Text messages can be sent to any smart phone.

Does that help?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Explanations are helpful but the bottom line is that as long as it's doing what you want, then that's great. :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

Thank you very much Juju' My Daughter wants me to get a I phone so bad, but I have been
resistant, But that does sound good.

I do want to say though that after using the I pad, I do love apple products and consider getting something bigger as my desktop (windows) is on its last legs.

Chewy, see if your daughter has an old iPhone she would give you. And I hear you on Apple love. I have it too. NEVER thought I would get smitten. Huh! I will probably look into getting us iMac Air laptops when we get home, used of course (I have NEVER been burned buying used computers on eBay). Oh! You know what! We have some friends who had a couple Apple desktops, maybe even those all in one types, and they offered them to us when we got our iPhones and my iPad. I better get back with them and see what they have.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I switched from P.C. to Apple / MacBook Pro in February '10. Best thing I ever did. NEVER go back. Everything simply works. If on occasion it doesn't -- call AppleCare.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I e-mailed the friends with the excess Mac desktops last night, and got a reply that they cut them into pieces 3 weeks ago! Ack!!!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Another ACK!!!Looks like my iphone (5C, used cheapie, and I was wanting a newer one), will no longer charge. Trying some stuff on re-sets and hard re-sets now, but it sure looks like I am going to be incommunicado for the short term.

Question - Until I can get the phone fixed or replaced (more likely), can I put my iphone5C SIM card in my iPad Air2 and make the iPad act like a phone that can receive texts and phone calls?

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Wow, I look forward to that answer, are all sims card the same size or compatible with all other cell devises ? If I did get a smart phone would the sim in my flip phone have to be replaced (code for them telling me I must upgrade) Good luck juju

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
No an iPad can’t make phone calls on its own.

———————

A SIM card from an older device may not fit newer devices.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, I did some looking around this morning and got on a chat with Tracfone, and they are selling a 32 GB (new) iPhone SE, which the Tracfone guy said was better than the iPhone 5c I had, and sort of equivalent to a 6 but smaller. It was $199 with free 1-day shipping, and I can just transfer my existing account to that phone. I think I might have explained above that smartphones (used to?) get triple minutes with TracFone. This phone came with a disclaimer that minutes do not triple. Chat representative said my triple minutes would continue because I was already on that plan. Hope so.

Anyway, I did some Googling and read reviews on the SE. It is same size as my 5c, while most smartphones have now gone to the larger sizes. Since I was already using the smallest phone without much difficulty, that should not be a problem. Most people are quite happy with it. There was some discussion with it not having 3D Touch, and I had to Google that as well. It is not something I know how to use anyway, so I am fine with not having it.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I drank the Apple Kool-Aid when I got my iPad Air 2 a couple of years ago. Then I got a 6+ phone, now I have a 7+ phone. Once you get used to the large size phone, I will never go back. I can see so much on it! I have a 17 inch HP with touch screen laptop, and the thing works beautifully. Until it eats it, I am at least stuck with that!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ohh, thanks Juju!

I have a smart phone with triple minutes, texts and downloads through Tracfone, but it is out of memory and giving me fits. I found reviews and this is a downfall of the specific phobe, but I may call and see what I can get with more capacity and ask about keeping the triple feature

I would go for larger, as my current phone is sort of intermediate size and I would like larger.

Not sure I would go Apple, but maybe.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I love my LG tracphone, at first I didn't like how big it was because I keep it in my pocket, but I have gotten used to it.

I think I got it on QVC, really great deal with tons of minutes, etc. I was really surprised when I ended up watching some of the figure skating on it. Excellent picture and color.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What model?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I looked around and found Android version 5.1.1; not sure that helps.

Maybe someone knows how I can find the model type.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, July 23, 2018 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I have my very first iPad. It appears that I am so far behind the crowd that I can't find explanations for simple things, even the basic manuals seem to think that everyone would know them.

So I have, and probably will have over the next few weeks, some very basic questions, if anyone would care to humour me with the very basic answers...

What's the difference between leaving it alone until the screen turns off, clicking the sleep button at the top once, and holding it down?

I think just leaving it alone and clicking it once are the same, but at night what should I do to turn it off? Does holding the button down save battery, or doesn't it really matter?

And on a similar vein, I've opened a few apps and I see them on the page you get to with the open windows. I know I can sort of swipe them up off the top of the screen to close them, but is that good practice? Does it save battery, speed up anything else etc.? Or should I just leave things I access day to day open?

Spear

08-05-2001

Monday, July 23, 2018 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
You are right about the sleep button (clicking once = sleep, holding down = power off). Powering it off does save power but usually not enough to make a difference. It may even be a net negative since powering up uses more power versus waking up.

Closing apps frees up memory. The system is pretty smart about closing apps automatically if it needs memory so you normally don't have to do it. Also, closing apps unnecessarily might waste power since it has to use more power to start it again.

However, if you're low on memory, you might find it useful to eg. manually close an infrequently-used memory hog immediately after using it. Otherwise, when it needs more memory, the system won't know that you won't be using that app soon, so it may let it persist and close other more useful apps instead.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, July 23, 2018 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks. From what I'd read, you don't actually have to do anything to close apps or turn it off, but it just seems anti-intuitive when you compare it to anything else I've used. It seems like what you're saying is that you don't have to turn things off, but if you're not using them then it often makes sense to. Which makes sense to me too :-).

Spear

08-05-2001

Monday, July 23, 2018 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that it "often" makes sense to manually close apps. It might be useful in some circumstances, especially for older devices, but I think it's often better to leave it alone. As you've read, it's pretty smart about suspending apps so they don't use much power when they're inactive and closing them when it needs more memory.

(Of course, when an app is misbehaving, then it's definitely useful to manually close it.)