TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 02, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 02, 2018 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
LOL, MB. It is, apparently, in my genes. I absolutely cannot help myself. Same with Bigdog. We both actually try to spend money, because we have probably reached the stage where we have more money than time and health left to do everything. And yet, I always have to get some deal. And this actually will work out better for us, since I HATE companies like Xfinity/Comcast screwing people with the equipment rentals, and I already have the wireless router that I would either have to store or get rid of. Sigh ...

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 5:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
All the tech talk here is "Greek" to me. Wish I had even a little understanding of it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Good work, Juju! The TM822 is what we were talking about above and what I had for over 4 years. It was working fine till it just wouldn't reset any more. Comcast really doesn't like you buying your own modem, so they will lie and say it's not good. But Arris says it is an approved Xfinity modem.

I had to go in to the Comcast store to replace some small converter boxes that weren't working. The guy said "wait, I think I can save you some money." So, like a *FOOL*, I waited only to find out that I would get a one year discount on current services if I signed up for their security services. Uh, no thank you.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
FBI says to reboot your router! Something about Russia sending a malware attack.

My cable went out this morning (the whole town) so I already did. Wonder if it had anything to do with this.

F.B.I.’s Urgent Request: Reboot Your Router to Stop Russia-Linked Malware

quote:

Hoping to thwart a sophisticated malware system linked to Russia that has infected hundreds of thousands of internet routers, the F.B.I. has made an urgent request to anybody with one of the devices: Turn it off, and then turn it back on.

The malware is capable of blocking web traffic, collecting information that passes through home and office routers and disabling the devices entirely, the bureau announced on Friday.

quote:

“The malware has a destructive capability that can render an infected device unusable,” it said, “which can be triggered on individual victim machines or en masse, and has the potential of cutting off internet access for hundreds of thousands of victims worldwide.”

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 11:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Russians? Betcha it's gonna be a certain 63% of America, since they have Facebook profiles on many of us that they don't want to vote in November.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I saw that FBI warning, when they are saying to turn off, do they mean the modem or the wi-fi router? Guess I could do both, plus I have no idea how to change the password on my router.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I just turned everything off for a total reboot and started over, LOL.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
sounds good to me

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
That’s about the best most of us can do. I have a modem/router supplied by my service and the user can’t change the rather long numerical “password”. Guess I can reboot that.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Rebooted mine. Need to correct what I posted about my “password”, it’s actually a long mixed alpha-numeric.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Mack, that doesn't sound right. Are you sure you can't change the password? Like, you hard wire a laptop to the router with RJ45 ethernet cable and then go to the home page of the router mfr.? Should be a URL listed on the router itself. And then somewhere on that page is a place to change the password. I am pretty sure I have done it with those Comcast rented combination modem routers.

But thanks, folks for reminding me to reboot mine, haven't done it yet, and about to forget.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 3:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
As far as I can determine my password is hard coded into the unit’s firmware and I can’t get into that. It is a DSL modem/router than belongs to AT&T and don’t you get a user manual or other instructions. I suppose I could go on line and see what they have in the way of instructions or call them. It doesn’t appear to be one of the units the FBI has identified as most frequently hacked or targeted.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Mack, I don't know if this will help.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1049866

I had a Century Link modem with that kind of default password. Eventually figured out how to change it, but it was complicated.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I found out how to change it but AT&T says they weren’t targeted and they’ve put more security in place to hopefully protect against this attack. I say this attack as it probably means whoever was responsible will just keep trying to get around whatever security is put in place.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, it's a daily struggle actually for all electronics today.

I'm probably more sensitive to it than others because I have an e-commerce website. We get hack attempts almost daily, and it's been that way for years.

I presume everything we all have is under that same kind of pressure, but we don't see it. On my website, we do track these things constantly.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We have a personal website and we can track attacks on it but they’ve never gotten through as far as we can tell. Kind of second hand as we don’t maintain our site on our own computers and use a remote hosting service that provides primary security. They’ve been attacked and were actually down for a couple of days a few years ago but that’s been it. There’s no real time live connection between our home computers and our site so even if they hacked that site they’ve not have access to our computers. The site is for us to share our travels and other mundane stuff with friends and family so not much to be gained other than the “sport” of hacking a site. Probably not worth their effort.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
And certainly my TVClubHouse family can visit our site: www.klugsplace.com The newest update is our visit to Egypt so that’s kind of interesting. Here: http://www.klugsplace.com/EgyptCruise2017.html

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link to the website, Mack. We visited most of those ports as part of a longer voyage on Azamara in 2012 (heh, seems like a more recent trip than that). You didn't miss much not getting off the ship in Sharm el Sheikh. It was long past its heyday and most places were closed. I was wishing we had brought bathing suits ashore, as we could have at least done that.

2012 was not long after the Arab spring, and most of the cruise ships were not even going to Egypt, but Azamara did. We like to say we visited Egypt between uprisings. Unbeknownst to me, Azamara cancelled most of the shore excursions. But I had booked through a private tour operator, so off we went to the Egyptian Museum and the pyramids.

Juju and Bigdog camel ride
Camel riding is terrifying business.

Oh, uh, what I meant to say here is that I remembered to re-set my router this morning. Thanks to foks for reminding me.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 2:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Omg. Is that Big dog? I never saw a picture of him before. He's a cutie.

Thanks for the tip. If I'm ever in the position to go camel riding, I will politely refuse.:-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Moved further discussion to Juju2bigdog personal folder. Mack, there is a mention there in my folder of your wife's thrilling camel riding experience as noted under your Alexandria tab at the link above.

Uhhhhh … looks like my router re-set went just fine.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, June 01, 2018 - 5:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Juju-I agree... wrong place. BTW I don’t any mention of the camel ride in your personal folder.

Back on subject here......have to say my reboot went fine. Mrs Mack was opposed to changing the password for our modem/router. She pointed we’ve linked so many of our devices to the router it would be doable but painful to change all of them. Amazing how much we can control from our iPads/iPhones.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Friday, June 01, 2018 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
What a cute picture of Juju, BigDog and the Camel!! And Grooch, I've met BigDog and he is a cutie pie for sure....so is Juju!!

Back on subject . . . . so glad Mack's reboot went fine.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, June 01, 2018 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Mack, sorry, brain fart. I put the comments in Grooch's folder.

Oh, and good point about changing multiple Wi-Fi log-ins.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 01, 2018 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What Eggie said, met Bigdog and Juju several times, very cute. The camel.. nope.

I think my router reset on its own.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 6:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Almost every new major appliance we’ve bought recently is or can be linked to the Internet. The ones I have actively connected right now are our televisions (includes the DVRs, Blu-ray players, satellite receivers, etc.), garage door openers, AC units, and pool equipment. Of course to make that all work there are a couple of repeaters/boosters spread around the house. All of those would require resetting to a new code/password.

Mrs Mack was looking at Memorial Day sales last weekend and was particularly at dishwashers as ours is starting to make some funny noises. We both were amused that some of the upper models are now have wi-fi. Really? Like you can remotely load and tell it to run. Of course she rattled off the other appliances that are wi-fi ready like stoves, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, and dryers. Amazing but at the same time makes you wonder.